[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/VR/ Mysteries: Beebiss edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: CsqheYJVYAAwrcA.jpg (54KB, 550x298px) Image search: [Google]
CsqheYJVYAAwrcA.jpg
54KB, 550x298px
ITT: we try to figure out what the hell Yeah Yeah Beebiss I was. other mysteries also allowed.
>>
File: FuncoBeebiss1.png (2MB, 1368x2216px) Image search: [Google]
FuncoBeebiss1.png
2MB, 1368x2216px
>>4089114
Here's another price chart from Funcoland.

Is there anything we can gather anything from the price being $33.95? Can we assume the release date would be similar to other games around that price?
>>
>>4089114
BEPIS?
>>
>>4089128
"Here is literally every hard fact about Beebiss:

Yeah Yeah Beebiss I made its first known printed appearance in an ad for New York-based mailorder company Play It Again (which is where that image comes from) in the June, 1989 issue of Video Games & Computer Entertainment. The exact same ad, with the exact same list, re-appears in the July, August and September issues. The Play It Again ads printed both before and after this period do not feature the game.

Immediately after Play It Again stops advertising the title, a new mailorder company called Funco advertises its own list in the October issue, and it too features the game (shortened to "Yeah Beebiss I"). However, a closer look reveals that Funco's list is an exact copy of the one Play It Again had been running previously. This same list also shows up in the November and December issues, before Funco changes to a new list in January and Yeah Yeah Beebiss I quietly disappears from the world.

There is still a large discussion to be had about Beebiss, and I have WAY more to say, but for now those are the facts as we know them. It was advertised seven months in a row, only by these two companies, and all seven of these ads are based on the exact same list, which was generated in early 1989."

-Frank Cifaldi of lost levels forums.

This is quite possibly the best known compilation of what is known about YYBI, and also that might work. You could also try yen differences assuming this game came out in Japan too.
>>
At the moment I subscribe to the theory it was a butchered translation of Family Trainer: Rai Rai Kyonshis: Baby Kyonshi no Amida Daibouken, as these are trade-in services I think what happened is somehow somebody traded in their famicom copy for another game, so the service had to resort to somebody's limited Japanese to do a quick translation so they could get it in the magazine. Then it got further Butchered when a copy landed somewhere else, probably the same one.
>>
>>4089151
Forgot the link.
http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtopic.php?p=26053&sid=c722f35a05322d0af5209b3c929b001c#26053
>>
>>4089154
I agree but it's fun to think about what it could have been, and to see if any leads ever turn up.

Plus the answer being a powerpad game is kinda disappointing.
>>
>>4089154
I can understand BEEBISS but where'd they get the "Yeah Yeah" from? Also why that game in particular?
>>
>>4089196
well, this would be a bad translation but that's kinda implied. the theory states that

rai rai= yeah yeah

and Bebii/baby ~ beebiss
>>
>>4089209
they should have went with beepiss
>>
>>4089154
A post that expands on that theory a bit.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/579388-family-trainer-rai-rai-kyonshis-baby-kyonshi-no-amida/75374855

Seems plausible to me, and the game's Japanese release date is 01/26/89, which would fit with the ad's June 1989 date.
>>
>>4089154
Maybe someone who could only read kana and not kanji read portions of the title to someone else who transcribed it badly.
>>
>>4089154
Yeah that makes the most sense. It seems likely that someone traded in a Japanese game to some kind of warehouse that was used by both services. Someone at the warehouse probably had the job of writing down all the names of the games and sending them to the trade-in service companies to put in their ads. So it must have been an actual game cartridge someone sold and not a typo or a canceled game or whatever. Somebody bought it and that's why it dropped off the listings a few months later.

Now we just need to spread the meme of this until the person who bought it comes forward and confirms what game it was.
>>
I was going to say that it was the game list version of a trap street, but that wouldn't make any sense.
>>
>>4089283
people have argued that before and it was quickly proven false due to the fact that the second ad, by a different company, not only has the same game in the same list placement, but is also shortened. This would mean that somebody had to manually copy over a copyright trap onto another ad.
>>
>>4089280
Somebody on the lost media wiki, an anon so take that as you will, claims to have received Rai Rai Kyonshis in the mail from this ad. I don't buy it but if this guy is still lurking there you might have your man.
>>
File: Dweebers_Ad.jpg (2MB, 2384x3386px) Image search: [Google]
Dweebers_Ad.jpg
2MB, 2384x3386px
>>4089154
>>4089232
>>4089238
>>4089280
>>4089367

With that "solved", there's also the just as mysterious, and arguably more bizarre case of "Dweebers" and "Gathers"

http://lostgames.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Dweebers

http://lostgames.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Gathers
>>
File: 800px-047f.jpg (95KB, 800x472px) Image search: [Google]
800px-047f.jpg
95KB, 800x472px
>>4089393
Translation of the description for gathers, one by a close friend of mine.

"Gathers (temporary name/working title)

In the labyrinth, collect fallen items in this big puzzle action game as introduced from Toukai. Items go together and gain potential as you compete.

Opponents and traps appear in clusters to stop you!"

Captions from right to left on the picture.
>>
That magazine ad was for trade-in games so Beebiss can't be a cancelled game. Maybe it was a joke? Like maybe someone traded in labeless cartridge with that name written on it or some shit?
>>
>>4090589
That's possible but as stated before in the thread, it's most likely somebody traded in the rai rai kyonshis game. In facr the commenter on the wiki claims to have recieved that very game.
>>
>>4090594
>some kid on the internet stated something
>some other kid on the internet claimed something
>that makes it likely true
Top kek. Nearly any explanation is as plausible as the convoluted one you're flogging.
>>
>>4091723
it's not that some kid said it so it must be true, it's that the claim presented and the evidence we have for this particular explanation is the best explanation I can see.
>>
>>4089128
I used to masturbate to these as a kid
>>
>>4092265
Fair enough. So here's an equally likely explanation. Aliens. I was abducted by aliens and they probed me with "japanese one" shaped device while shouting yeah yeah baby. They made a video game about it but it was such a traumatic experience it I traded it to funcoland. I offer as evidence my word as a kid on the internet that this totally happened.
>>
>>4092462
That's a very unlikely explanation that neither fits the evidence nor explains all the outstanding mysteries. So I'm very comfortable discounting it. It's clear that didn't happen.

The other explanation is unsupported by direct evidence, but it fits the story and is completely plausible. We don't know it is true, but we can safely say it may have happened.

Do you see the difference?
>>
>>4093295
But I'm telling you dude. It totally happened. At least it happened exactly as much as the guy ordering YEAH YEAH BEEBISS I and getting Rai Rai Kyonshis: Baby Kyonshi no Amida Daibouken. No difference whatsoever.
>>
>>4089128
Actually sold my NES and games to funcoland to finance the purchase of TG-16 and SNES.

Man, that was a long time ago. I'm old.
>>
>>4090527
Your close friend is terrible at Japanese.

>Collect items hidden in a labyrinth in this new puzzle-action game from Vic Tokai. Also includes a versus mode where you can compete with your friends to gather items.
>Watch out for swarms of enemies and traps!
>>
>>4089128
>Megaman: $19
God damn.
>>
>>4094453
They ARE Japanese, so that's weird but I'll take your word for it.
>>
>>4095113
>misreads ビック as ビッグ, doesn't question this unusual choice of words at all, and applies it to the complete wrong part of the sentence
Yeah, no, that's not a mistake a Japanese person would make. It's a mistake a total beginner at the language would make by reading dictionary entries and jumbling around the words until they make some sort of sense in English.
>Items go together and gain potential as you compete.
This is such complete nonsense that I'm assuming it was straight up machine translated.

Is your "friend's" name Google Translate, perhaps?
>>
>>4095150
Thanks for explaining that, but it's too bad you had to be an asshole to anon about it.
>>
>>4094536
Wanna cry? Hunt down some old Funcoland price lists and see what the retro game market was like before the e-celeb craze. SMB+Duck Hunt was 10 cents, popular titles that sold a lot were usually between $5 and $10, and only the actual uncommon/rare games were pricey. I remember trading in Dragon Warrior 2 and Dragon Warrior 3 and got over $50 for each, which went to getting me Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Super Mario RPG, and I still walked out with cash in my pocket.

Bandwagoneers will never know this feel.
>>
>>4095493
i bought a snes with two controllers, two controller extenstion cables, an SNES mouse, and a box of 15 games for $12 dollars in like 2009. It was a grandma for cheap at a garage sale because it had a crack in the console, i imagine there's some dude that is PISSED.
>>
>>4095493
I bought Sonic CD for 5$ back in '95.
I got a Saturn analog controller for $1 a little while later
>>
>>4095150
They were also up at like 3:am so take that as you will.
>>
>>4098506
Also, addendum, they have no idea what vic tokai is either so I assume they thought it was a typo. They even listed toukai, like the place, in the original response. Should've brought that up sooner.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.