[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about modding consoles through soldering and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: SNESS-Video04.jpg (29KB, 500x222px) Image search: [Google]
SNESS-Video04.jpg
29KB, 500x222px
How do you feel about modding consoles through soldering and such? Does it matter if a console is no longer in its original condition?
>>
It's fine.
>>
>>4086320
If it's destructive then it shouldn't be done. All consoles should have preventive maintenance done.
>>
>>4086328
I take it that paint jobs count as destructive?

what about things like rgb mods, or 60hz mods?
>>
>>4086335
Nothing wrong with RGB mods. Paint jobs depend. Palshit doesn't matter. Chop it up.
>>
>>4086350
Ausfag here, my PAL snes has sentimental value, but I've found a guy who can transplant a 1Chip-02 Super Famicom board into it so I can have 60Hz + better image quality. It'll also have superCIC so it will be region free.

my SNES has yellowed but I don't think there's any maintenance that can truly fix that
>>
>>4086358
You can fix most yellowing with retro bright mixtures.
>>
>>4086360
That takes years off the life of the plastic and is generally not worth it.
>>
>>4086364
>That takes years off the life of the plastic
What? The plastic is going to get brittle either way if that's what you mean.
>>
>>4086360
i read that it's temporary and causes further embrittlement
>>
I was just reading about LED mods for SNES Jr. I didn't realise they had no power light by default, so it seems like a good idea
>>
what's the best paint job you've seen for a SNES?
>>
>>4086427
Yep, I've accidentally left mine on before. Same with my AV Famicom. Need to get around to adding LEDs at some point.
>>
File: snesled.jpg (78KB, 560x742px) Image search: [Google]
snesled.jpg
78KB, 560x742px
>>4086427
Purple LED to match the buttons.
>>
>>4086442
Sold this puppy. Kinda feel bad, the light is a bit bright. I properly calculated resistance and still got this. My SNES Mini I actually tripled the resistance to get it looking average.

TL;DR: Don't be afraid to go over calculated LED resistance cuz todays LEDs are BRIGHT.
>>
Also not retro but this is beautiful. Never has a consoles look made me so happy. Doesn't help orange is like my favorite color.
>>
>>4086360
You mean hydrogen peroxide, you only need a 40 vol bottle of that, usually from a professional hair salon

>>4086364
Wrong, it doesn't do the plastic anything, it literary acts on 1/10th of a millimeter on the surface of the plastic. But it can make it look like now, done right, permanently (or until sun damage, then you have to redo it).
>>
>>4086373
Don't believe the guys who can't do their shit right.
Do it yourself, then talk about it.
>>
>>4086320
For some reason it feels off, there is something about original psx with original demo disc.
I guess its sentiment that I feel is getting destroyed by a chip, messily soldered on elegant and organized board.

Another thing is that it can fucks up hardware again, I am ok with messing up some random psx so I can play games on it but dont want to do anything to my first console.
There been multiple reasons for this but one way or the other, chipped console would die fast.
>>
>>4086462
where did you find an orange Cube? been trying to get one too, but those werent released here in the US.
>>
>>4088679
>Wrong, it doesn't do the plastic anything, it literary acts on 1/10th of a millimeter on the surface of the plastic

All of the plastic is mixed with brominated fire retardant chemicals.
This stuff doesn't mix well with plastic. It leeches toward the surface, leaving microscopic cavities as it moves.

The BFRs on the surface then react with OXYGEN and sunlight to form an oxidized layer of bromine on the surface layers of the plastic.

this expands the cavities the bromine oxide is in.

when you use peroxides and uv radiation to retrobright, you're breaking the bonds in the bromine oxide and releasing oxygen from the plastic, leaving behind cavities.

The bromine is still there. It continues to react to UV light and oxygen, and will oxidize again over time. The bromine is already leeched to the outer layers of plastic and will continue to make the plastic brittle as it goes.
>>
There are millions of Famicoms out there. I don't think modding mine to use AV instead of RF is that big of a deal.
>>
If it's something like repairing a broken track, that's fine, but if it's modifying with stupid kang level garbage like this >>4086448 I'd say no.
>>
>>4089170
so do you think it's to just leave it yellow?
>>
>>4089136
Found it at my LGS. Think I paid them $40 because birthday and want. I see them on eBay alot, they aren't really *rare* but are going to be around $40ish depending on condition.

Was also sad to discover they come with stock orange LED which I think looks kinda funny which is why mine has a contrasting Purple LED installed. You can replace the LED really easily on them too.
>>
>>4089179
If you already got the Famicom set up, I don't see why not. When messing with the top loader NES i had, I removed the entire RF Modulator off the board and used the hole the jack left, drilled a hole by it where the channel switch was and installed my AV jacks in there. I'd also recommend the RGB Mod but that is probably not one you want to attempt if you're a rookie at the mod game.
>>4089743
A broken track the fuck? Are you saying you dislike any and all mods that change the look of the system? Even if there is a practical useful benefit that attempts to look stock?
>>
>>4089170
>9/10 informed post
thanks anonymous Dr. retro scientist
>>
File: IMG_1793.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1793.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
One of my favorite mods to do are font/backlight mods and case swaps on handhelds. Basically anything you can get from handheldlegends I have tried.
>>
>>4086320
Does it matter to who? To an autistic collector opening the box is a sin and opening the case is sheer madness. Are you an autistic collector? Do you care that you will never be able to sell you shit to an autistic collector? If not then it doesn't really matter.
Personally I have so much stuff that it's very likely me or one of my kids will sell something to an autistic collector some day. So I tend to leave things in original condition unless I need it modded. I'm not going to mod every CIB system I'll never use just because I can.
When I do a mod I'll make it reversible if at all reasonably possible, which it usually is. Sometimes it's a bit more work but is better quality and why would I not want to be able to undo something. I have no desire to rice my shit because I'm not 12 years old so permanent case modifications aren't in the cards.
>>
>>4090227
do autistic collectors exist when it comes to PAL consoles?
>>
>>4090241
Autism is strictly a NTSC phenomenon
>>
>>4089170
>>4089797
Based. The original retrobirte articles and papers mentioned this. People forgot.

Yaalll need to start appreciating the provenance of your games. When a game has a warehouse rental sticker on it, get a couple newspaper clippings of the store you think it was.

Kids name on cart? Try to find him and put in a bio page. He did because he was a shit. Because he was bored and found a marker, because his sister/friend was a shit.

You can probably just make this shit up, but hipsters will eat it up.

T. I read about this shit in a hipster book, but I have a day job and am not about to get hardcore into flipping badly used carts in this way, but I do think theres a decent market if you are a good salesman.
>>
>>4086448
You fucking animal.
>>
>>4086452
This is the most horrible and brutal thing I've ever seen in my life, and I've been here all summer.
>>
>>4090241
No. Rubbing my dick on my CIB PAL H6 is perfectly normal.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.