[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here likes their yellowed SNES?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: DSC_0099_45.jpg (771KB, 1936x1296px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0099_45.jpg
771KB, 1936x1296px
Who here likes their yellowed SNES?
>>
mine is still white after all these years
>>
File: Super NES Classic Edition.jpg (18KB, 720x557px) Image search: [Google]
Super NES Classic Edition.jpg
18KB, 720x557px
>>
My golden SuperFam is special to me. Thinkin' of sellin' it tho, for a lot
>>
>>4085872
I was thinking about making it white again but I decided to wait that till I get another console unit so I'm sure that I can still keep playing SNES games if I'd ever mess it up. It shouldn't be difficult but I'm really bad at electronics and I don't wanna risk anything for now.
>>
>Smoking or leaving your SNES in direct sunlight
Fucking barbarians, how do you even figure out which buttons to push between your two functioning brain cells?
>>
>>4086030
hello newfriend
>>
>>4086030
one for each button
>>
>>4086030
My snes has been in a wardrobe for almost 20 years, but as a kid it was set up under the tv unit, in a room that had sun coming though the window. Was I supposed to know as a kid that this would happen?
>>
>>4085872
Why do only some of them do this? Sometimes it's only one half of the shell
>>
Childhood one's still white, bought a yellowed one at a Flea Market a couple years ago because I felt like I could use a spare, plus it was only $20 with Super Mario World, A Link to the Past and ActRaiser.
>>
>>4085872
>Who here lines their PALshit
No one
>>
>>4086173
implying i haven't modded mine for 60Hz
>>
>>4085872
My shit ain't yellow anon
Our original one didn't yellow in the attic and my used console I picked up isn't either (hopefully)

I dont know whats causing the discoloration
Avoid smoke and sunlight

However anon-kun from another thread says his is kept from those elements and still met the same yellow fate , what gives?

Why the fuck are they all turning yellow?

There's probably ways to fix it but my autism is triggered by the half-yellow look
>>
>>4086068
Deal of the fucking year
>>
>>4085872
How many people here wish they had released the SNES with the Super Famicom case instead of the one we got?
>>
>>4086203
Tbh I love that American kids got their own special version

Just imagine if we got the same Famicom as well
>>
>>4086202
Last decent deal I've came across in ages. Don't even come across the worthless sports games for Genesis that use to litter all my local flea markets.
>>
I've been hemming and hawing about getting an SNES flashcart forever. Now that the SNES Classic is "on the way", I think it's finally time to pull the trigger on it.
>>
>>4086234
eBay auctions are all I fuck with lately

However I just found an intellivision for 35 today at a "game shop" in the California bay area

Shits getting rare, but the loose carts are out there

Got Pokemon gold CiB for less than eBay prices as well

The thrill of the hunt is still a thing, but eBay is far more consistent +you can "follow" rare auctions for notifications on mobile when things go up for sale which is nice
>>
>>4086194
>implying you even know how to do the mod properly
protip: the simple monkey switch mod you read about has many problems
>>
the first run of super nintendos had a bad mix of flame retardant in the mixture. thats why they turn yellow.

http://www.tested.com/tech/2505-why-your-old-super-nintendo-looks-super-yellow/
>>
that feel when i no longer have my childhood console, it was a snes2/jr just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>4086062

DIfferent batches of flame retardant plastic.
After a while they switched to another compound that doesn't have the problem that much.
>>
>>4085872
Do absolutely all SNES consoles have the potential to go yellow? OOr did Nintendo ever change the plastic at some point?
>>
>>4088284
That means the ones that turn yellow are actually older models?
>>
>>4088247
>first run

but ive seen a lot of 1chip models with yellowed shells, unless you mean the first model which isnt the Snes Jr or mini.
>>
>>4085872
My shit didnt even yellow
>>
>>4088663
Some will yellow and some may not, see >>4088284

>>4088672
Different factories may have switched at different times, so I'm not sure you can be sure on that. Otherwise how do you explain >>4085904
>>
You guys know you can get rid of the yellowing, right?
http://www.retr0bright.com/

It's kind of like polishing silver.
>>
>>4088754
I actually don't mind the yellow.
My SNES has only yellowed on the bottom, but even if it was fully gold, or like this: >>4085904
I don't think I'd mind. That 25 year old guy is still working strong, that alone is impressive, I don't mind the plastic if it doesn't, say, rot and get bad smell. If it's virtually the same except the color, I don't mind at all, I don't have my consoles for display, I use them to play.
Also, I haven't used my original "audiophile" japanese PS1 in ages, since the 90s, it's stored away since its lens died, I have a PS2 anyway but I think that console also gets yellow-ish. I use it's pad on some games when I use the PS2 and I notice the pad itself is a bit yellowed.
>>
>>4085872
Aye!
>>
>>4088751
>Otherwise how do you explain >>4085904
That's a shop of the SNES classic.
>>
>>4089517
I'm talking about the actual console with only one yellowed piece of plastic, not the photoshopped over-sized hand.
>>
File: SNES-EXT.jpg (16KB, 358x210px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-EXT.jpg
16KB, 358x210px
Were these port covers made of a slightly different kind of plastic? I've never seen one that was significantly yellowed.
>>
>>4087285
>implying Americans know anything about modding or hardware in general
Don't you have to "preserve it for history", you fat wanker?
>>
>>4085904
that is eggsactly how my snes looks. only the top half turned piss colored.
>>
>>4086242
Why would you pay more for less games on an emulator instead of the original?
>>
>>4090521
Well, the cover has a tab meant to bend. Maybe it needed to be made out of more flexible or resilient plastic than the rest of the case so that the tab doesn't break off when you bend it.

I'm not sure that makes sense though, because I thought they added bromine to the plastic (which makes it yellow under prolonged UV exposure) to make it less brittle in the first place.
>>
>>4090547
>epic 3rd world assmad
I'd never waste my time doing a proper 60hz mod on a PAL SNES. It's a pain in the ass and I have an official 60hz UKV SNES. Enjoy the screen glitches with your shitty monkey mod.
>>
>>4085872
This de-yellowing method was recently posted in the Repair/Mod general. It involves vinyl paint.
http://imgur.com/gallery/7vAwG
THOUGHTS?
>>
>>4091921
Still going to be brittle, which is the issue.

Just do fucking the oxyclean retrobrite.
>>
>>4086030
Nobody in my house smokes and have never left my SNES in sunlight. It still yellowed over the years.
>>
>>4090521
>>4091074
They were probably just made in different factories. They didn't make the entire thing in the same factory, hence why it's common to have some with extremely yellowed top but absolutely no yellow on the bottom.
>>
>>4085872
I painted mine.
It looks nice. Still like it.
Had it since the mod 90s. The corners were cracked so I filled then with green stuff and painted the whole thing black and white
>>
>>4089528
You are a special kind of retard.
>>
>>4092819
I don't know what the fuck you are on about m8, real SNES consoles get yellowed that way sometimes. Several people in the thread have already chimed in with that e.g. >>4090551

Yes obviously it's in a photoshopped pic. You are stuck on some unrelated issue. See this post and the posts it references >>4089517
>>
>top yellowed SNES

wut, mine's only yellowed on the bottom
>>
>>4092012
Same. It's just shit plastic.
>>
>>4085872
I love mine. If I do anything to aesthetically alter it, then it will be a themed paint job.
>>
>Who here likes their yellowed SNES?
That'd be like liking your boxes torn or your labels faded. It's damaged and it's ugly af, looks more like someone kept peeing on it over the years

I have 2 NES, one MiB from a garage sale and one yellowed with chipped corners. Night and day difference.
I'm gonna try this >>4091921 on the yellow one (been meaning to but wasn't sure which paint would be best, thanks anon). The mint one I'm selling to some nostalgiafag for a huge profit
>>
>>4093637
I wanna know more about that paint method. It seems too good to be true at first glance;
What's the actual colour of the paint? I won't want to bother with it if it's only gonna make the console look like a repro with a slightly different colour. Or is it colourless?
>>
>>4093637
>That'd be like liking your boxes torn or your labels faded

No, it'd be like accepting the reality of what is.

If you de-yellow your snes, I guarantee you didn't own one when they were out, and are a poseur in multiple ways
>>
>>4094301
this nigga understands.
Consider the Fender Stratocaster; the most sought after models come from the 1950's and 1960's. Their pickguards have yellowed, and the lacquer has worn, but musicians don't give a fuck about that, in fact they like them all the more for it, because it tells a story.
>>
>>4094314
i never thought of that before but thats the best comparison one could make.

my 1999 fender p-bass pickguard is yellowing like that now. that bass saved my life because i had a weird vision involving it (long story)..i'm PROUD to see her turn yellow. it's a mark of respect. it's not something you fucking try to remove

haven't you ever seen those pawn shows or antiques roadshow? where they tell people if they try to clean something, they usually massively reduced the value?
>>
>>4094301
I did own one. Checkmate atheist.

If you like to keep your shit in poor condition then be my guest. Some people actually care for what they own and would like to repair or restore it if needed. Liking worn and damaged stuff is for museums and hispers who wear faded shirts and pants with holes on them anyway (which I can GUARANTEE you are one of :^) )
>>
>they tell people if they try to clean something, they usually massively reduced the value?

That only applies to rare stuff you're wanting to resell. For common ass stuff like a Nintendo console you shouldn't give a care, it's your shit and you can do with it as you please.

I'll make sure to post pics of my reprinted SNES here to trigger some posers like >>4094301
>>
>>4094314
>>4094317
Stop idolizing your fucking rotting guitar.
>>
>>4094314
Eh id rather just have a brand new guitar
>>
File: i dont have bomberman.jpg (658KB, 918x1224px) Image search: [Google]
i dont have bomberman.jpg
658KB, 918x1224px
>>4085872
mine didn't yellow
>>
File: 1497919094239.png (143KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1497919094239.png
143KB, 800x1000px
>>4086030
>Doing things
How dare they?
>>
>>4094314
>>4094301
When it comes to retro games, I think some people want to recreate the feeling of a past point in time, and at that point, their SNES wasn't yellowed yet
>>
File: Winniethepooh2011dvdrip.jpg (49KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Winniethepooh2011dvdrip.jpg
49KB, 720x400px
>>4094290
>is it colourless
>colourless paint

I hope to god you meant lacquer. And no, it's not colourless.
>>
>>4095653
That's a valid argument, my SNES is quite heavily yellowed despite being well looked after.
So by this point it's already brittle, in fact there's a small chip in the back of it.
I'm open to de-yellowing it, but I'm worried that it might make the brittleness even worse, and if it's true that the yellowing returns, it just doesn't seem worthwhile. Thoughts?
>>
>>4095559
What do you play with all those controllers other than Bomberman Anon?
>>
>>4096334
>>4096334
>Implying it is not worth it to get a multitap just to play 4-player Bomberman

Its totally worth it.
>>
>>4096336
I have Bomberman. Check the other Anon's filename.
>>
My SFC somehow isn't yellowed.
>>
>>4096408
Same here, I wouldn't mind though
>>
>>4096409

Yeah, I'll accept it if it eventually happens.
>>
For anybody unaware, the yellowing and rate of yellowing is due to the mixture of the chemicals used to make the plastic. The ratios varied between batches (poor QC in that regard), which is why you'll see consoles with only the top or bottom half yellowed and some that aren't yellowed while others look like piss from a severely dehydrated person.
>>
>>4085872
It looks black and blue to me
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.