[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which was better

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: img_221672_dukevsdoom.jpg (38KB, 478x359px) Image search: [Google]
img_221672_dukevsdoom.jpg
38KB, 478x359px
Which was better
>>
Duke had the technologically superior engine.
Doom had the most innovations and superior mod legacy.
>>
I always wanted a spinoff where you could play as Doomguy, Duke, Quakeguy, or Turok. It would be a lot like the normal games with their mechanics put together but you could have multiplayer through the whole thing up to four players. Each character would be able to find their own games unique guns throughout the levels so they'd all play differently, but if you beat the game with a character that characters weapons would be unlocked for every character to use.

If you ever get all of a characters weapons in a single playthrough you unlock 1/4th of the HaFG, a bigger BFG that has unlimited ammo and fires faster than the normal one with the same power.

There would also be an arena style mode where you can splitscreen co-op or vs each other. There'd even be a Rank Up system where everyone starts with their weakest weapon and whenever you get a kill you unlock the next weapon in the cycle. Dying three times without getting a kill would set you back one gun.

If you beat the game with the HaFG without taking any damage you unlock Lara Croft. She gets twin handguns that have unlimited ammo and a raptor that attacks enemies for her. The raptor cant die. She doesnt get new weapons but her guns are really strong and she can backflip and sideflip for better movement.

The final boss is an onslaught of the final bosses of each of the four main games, then the combination of all four into one super boss. Beating that boss with the HaFG will unlock Super Hitler, a demonic version of Hitler that flies and shoots rapid poisonous fireballs while raining down missiles. He can only be hurt in his mustache but it's really small and only exposed while he's attacking. He is immune to the HaFG because it's made from Nazi tech combined with demon magic.
>>
>>4085764
Short term: Duke 3D
Long term: Doom
>>
>>4085764
Doom and it's not even close.
>>
>>4085764
That pic of Duke is artwork promoting Duke Nukem Forever, is it not?

You are asking which is better between a much loved classic and a steaming turd that we all wish was still vapourware.
>>
Love both immensely.

Duke3D I have a soft spot for playing when I was a kid and my Dad setting it up on DOS for me in the late 90's.

Even though I hate to admit it, DOOM is just an all-time classic and would easily make any Top 10 list.
>>
>>4086049

Don't be such an autist, it's just a random image from Google.
>>
File: duke zero hour.jpg (58KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
duke zero hour.jpg
58KB, 500x341px
>>4086049
It's the box art of Duke Nukem: Zero Hour.
>>
Doom. No contest.
>>
File: pig cop duke nukem.jpg (33KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
pig cop duke nukem.jpg
33KB, 500x371px
I love them both, but I always preferred Duke Nukem 3D. I liked Douk3D because the levels were based on real life locations and the levels weren't just "levels", but "places". In Doom I was supposed to believe I was in some factory or whatever, but all the levels were just blocks on blocks.

I can appreciate the arcade feel of Doom, it's the most "video game-y" video game I know. Shoot, dodge, shoot, dodge, it's great.
But I always liked Douk 3D more because of the real life basis. Duke is very much like Doom, but more cautious, if that makes any sense.
>>
Doom had the best theme and midi soundtrack.
Duke had the better monster and map variations
>>
>>4086049
wow you are retarded
bet you thought you were clever
>>
>>4085764
Doom was more fun, but duke was more unique and had cool one liners. Why not like both?
>>
>>4085887
>Lara Croft is so weak she needs a dinosaur to help her out.
Sounds about right.
>>
File: thermonuclear.jpg (83KB, 1080x540px) Image search: [Google]
thermonuclear.jpg
83KB, 1080x540px
>>4085764

Duke 3d unfortunately was better.

But it didnt get as much coverage or support as doom did so it didnt go as far. Doom's source code being released a couple years later didnt help.

It is harder to mod it too, making levels is one thing but messing with graphics in duke was always real hard, to the point that extracting them was even bothersome.

The reason im not playing Duke3d is because its abit too easy to just plain Die, or end up screwed because of drones or a chaingun boss with no health resources left. Enemies have good reaction time in Duke.

On my computer Duke is also just as laggy (in dosbox) as it was on my older systems that I played it on back in the day. While playable, its annoying.
>>
Duke Nukem because despite all the mod support for doom none of them are as fun as duke it and doom isnt either so its an easy choice
>>
Douk had shit enemy variety, which led to having every fight and encounter feel the same for me

Most doom monsters felt like they behaved differently, while most of douk's were just regular hitscanners with different health pools that occasionally flew
>>
>>4087424
eduke32.
>>
>>4087818
the most basic and common enemies in duke are not hitscanners bud. If anything hitscanners are more common in doom.
>>
>>4087818
>most of douk's were just regular hitscanners

The only common hitscanners in Duke are Pig Cops and Enforcers, and I can't think of a time where their usage greatly exceeds Assault Troopers/Captains. Though its hard to really accurately say, as Duke Wiki doesn't mention any Monster totals for each enemy.

Doom on the other hand, Hitscanner usage exceeds Imp usage in Knee Deep In The Dead and TNT Evilution. Not counting Plutonia, because Imp usage was dramatically reduced to allow room for Revenant and Hell Noble usage, making Hitscanners exceed Imps by default.
>>
File: 1423674583378-0.gif (2MB, 300x206px) Image search: [Google]
1423674583378-0.gif
2MB, 300x206px
>>4087572

This. Doom a shit.

A SHIT.
>>
>>4087304
Shes the only one badass enough to tame a dinosaur. The others would just shoot it.
>>
File: durandal.png (12KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
durandal.png
12KB, 240x210px
Neither.
>>
I loved the shit out of D3D editing, and the levels, but the combat was always clunky and I never played through it more than a few times. In the end, Doom just had more soulsphere
>>
>>4085764
Duke's verticality made for some really tight maps. Plus (minus a lot of the second chapter) levels that actually seemed like they could be a place in real life really helped immersion.

I've gotta go with Duke.
>>
>>4087424
>The reason im not playing Duke3d is because its abit too easy to just plain Die, or end up screwed because of drones or a chaingun boss with no health resources left. Enemies have good reaction time in Duke.
True, but Duke also had options available to him to keep him out of direct fire (pipe bombs, trip mines), or strong weapons to end combat fast (ie. you can lug 50 RPG shells around at a time, or 50 shrink ray ammo) means finding secrets and grabbing that high-end ammo is a frequent occurrence.

Duke is actually fairly easy compared to Shadow Warrior or Blood.
>>
>>4089567
>but the combat was always clunky
Define "clunky," motherfucker.
>>
>>4086396
Super underrated game, btw. Third person or not, this game felt like a good sequel.
>>
>>4085764
Duke is up there and it's got some interesting concepts but Doom has more solid design and gameplay.
They're both good games. Maps make or break either game for flow and both have good and bad maps. Duke has some large advantages but it never feels like the combat is quite as good as Doom's. While both rely on strategic positioning in levels Duke feels like you're constantly fighting the levels themselves to get through rather than fighting your way your through with interesting level design. Doom occasionally has that but more often than not it feels like you're just fighting your way through levels and on occasion getting unlost even when there are traps in Doom they're sparse enough to generally feel like traps whereas most of duke's layout is levels trying to kill your shit in the middle of throwing hover fucks and instashotguns to the face around blind corners and so fourth leading to a feeling that the game's trying to take cheapshots rather than balancing out interesting enemy combinations to tactically fight, which is what Doom does well most of the time. There's one or two spots where they do the lights out pinky closet but it's used in heavy moderation.
>>
>>4093314
Noting that's for Singleplayer. Duke is superior for multiplayer. Though neither are anywhere near as good as Quake/Quake 3 were for multiplayer which is basically the gold standard. The closest to those would probably be the unreal series, UT2K4 more so than the previous titles.
>>
Blood
>>
>>4089548
My nigga
>>
Both are fun and the rivalry has long been irrelevant.
>>
>>4085764
Between these two It's gotta be Doom for me. I grew up with Doom and even though I had Duke available I've always liked Doom better.

>>4089548
If we throw in this option though, this is where my vote goes.
>>
>>4093626

On /vr/, everything old is new again.
>>
>>4089548

I might've agreed with you if there'd ever been a decent way to experience it. Can't compare what you can't fucking play.
>>
Duke Nukum
>>
Doom has better levels, better gameplay, better source ports, more mods, FAR better music and it held up better graphically imo. I like Duke for what it is but in never really grabbed me the way that Doom did.
>>
>>4086396
FUCK yeah I loved this game. Played it recently and honestly it controls like ass. I would love a PC version.
>>
>>4094150
far better music because it was all ripped off.
>>
>>4094123
Better than Doom RPG
>>
I liked Duke as a kid but for some reason it just doesn't do it for me now. Whereas I still enjoy DOOM.

I think I mostly liked Duke for the gimmicks.
>>
>>4086049
You're posting on /vr/, are you not? Then OP's image would clearly be referencing DN3D and below and we all wish this post didn't exist.
>>
Why the fuck can't /vr/ two things at once?
Not everything is a fucking choice.
>>
>>4094783
For some reason I forgot to write "enjoy"
>>
>>4085764
Duke had the most gimmicks, Doom had the best everything else.
At least make it fair and compare Duke 3D with Quake.
>>
>>4094783
This. While Doom is ultimately my favourite, I still enjoy Duke 3D quite a lot.
>>
File: okay.png (22KB, 275x200px) Image search: [Google]
okay.png
22KB, 275x200px
>>4090512
>Weapon selection is poorly implemented with respect to the level design and enemy variety.
>>
>>4094783
Because /vr/ isn't so autistic that we can't have a preference while still enjoying multiple things.

I like X better =/= I hate Y.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.