[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1-Chip SNES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: pixelpurist- 013.jpg (38KB, 311x168px) Image search: [Google]
pixelpurist- 013.jpg
38KB, 311x168px
Now that I've researched the pros and cons of the 1-Chip SNES compared to the older models, I was hoping to hear about your experiences with them, and whether (you) think it's still the best way to play SNES despite the supposed drawbacks.

Argument for 1-Chip
>Cleaner, sharper image quality via RGB
>Less prone to the 'vertical bar' issue

Arguments against 1-Chip
>Image is "too sharp", not what Nintendo intended
>Glitches with some games
>Ghosting?
>Overly hot/bright whites in the image
>Some very vague reports of slowdown

some relevant links;
http://retrorgb.com/snesversioncompare.html
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=46303

Ultimately if 1-Chip is worth it, I'll buy a Super Famicom. If not, I'll just mod my 1993 PAL snes for 60Hz.
Thanks
>>
File: 1454306516482.jpg (93KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1454306516482.jpg
93KB, 375x500px
>>4085467
Whatever you like man, don't really mater to anyone else.
Like crisp? Do it. Like an RF look? Then don't.
Its your own destiny man,
>>
If you live somewhere that you have easy access to 60Hz CRTs with RGB SCART I think you'll be very happy with a 1chip but I don't know how much it'll cost you to import one. I have 2 that I got for like $20 each but sellers who "know what they have" usually jack their listings way up.
>>
>>4085467
1CHIP is not less prone to the vertical bar issue. All models are equally likely of getting it.

The only real advantage of 1CHIP is its sharpness. For some people, that's a massive advantage.

I don't like it because I know how Nintendo achieved it. It wasn't by improving the SNES PPU or anything like that, but by ripping out image processing filters to save money.

Nintendo did a similar thing on the N64 Funtastic series.
>>
>>4085467
>>4085565
And even then, it's really not that hard to get rid of the bar if you really want to.
Either put on a cap onto the voltage regulator and if needed the onboard RGB encoder or go all the way and build a bypass rgb amp into your SNES to fix the problem for good.
>>
>>4085504
>>4085509
I'd be looking to use it with an OSSC on a HDTV
>>
>>4085590
It'll make a very noticeable difference.
>>
>'vertical bar' issue
This is fixable for either model by replacing the voltage regulator with one rated for more current.
>Overly hot/bright whites in the image
Fixable by adding 1.2k resistors to the video lines or by lifting pin 155 of the S-CPUN and putting a 20 ohm resister between the pin and the trace.
>Ghosting?
People use that word to refer to all sorts of different things, so you'll have to be more specific.

I'm a big believer in not doing any image processing/filtering until the very end of the chain. So even if I wanted a slightly blurry look, I'd prefer to use my TV's settings to achieve that.
>>
>>4085595
as in, 1chip would make a desirable difference?

>>4085596
Thanks, regarding ghosting, I'm only going by what was claimed in that racketboy thread in OP
>>
>>4085601
He seems to be referring to ringing, which in this case is a symptom of overly high brightness. It will largely disappear once you attenuate the signal to proper levels.
>>
>>4085467
>Cleaner, sharper image quality via RGB

After you mod it to have a cleaner image.

Which you probably can do with other models too...
>>
>>4085614
Unfortunately, the LPF is applied before the video gets to the encoder, so even doing a bypass won't fix it. The best you can do is apply sharpening filters after the fact to try to clean it back up. It does help, but usually leaves you with false contouring.
>>
>>Image is "too sharp", not what Nintendo intended

This argument is kinda silly. Nintendo didn't offer RGB cables in the US, does that mean we should only play on composite cuz developer intent?

I like to hope most developers would want us to see the art that went into their games in full unfettered glory.

Even if for some reason a dev comes out and requests we only play their game using only stock equipment, that dev isn't putting a gun to my SNES Jr. I can choose how I want to play the game after it buy it with whatever video equipment I buy.

Far as too sharp, I would say it looks great, on par with Genesis's excellent RGB signal. Funny thing is, if something is too sharp to you, you can turn the sharpness on your TV down.
>>
>>4085614
Think Only 1CHIP model's can be modded. I wonder if in the future, we're going to have FPGA SNES that will have the RGB signal amp built in.
>>
>>4085651
so you regard the LPF as a bad thing? I didn't know about the false contouring issue.

>>4085652
>if something is too sharp to you, you can turn the sharpness on your TV down
that hadn't occurred to me either
>>
1chip is a meme.
I had one and an SNS-RGB-CPU-02.

I hooked them both up to my PVM and the difference is negligible. You can't notice it unless you get right up within inches of the screen.

I'd recommend an RGB-CPU-02 model simply because they have removable cart connectors, so you can replace them very easily.
>>
>>4085684
>so you regard the LPF as a bad thing?
I don't like it, personally. Just makes the picture look smudged. And as I said in >>4085596, I'd rather have full control over the sharpness by controlling it myself with my display, rather than hardwired in the console.

Basically, my opinion is: forget about the nebulous concept of "developer intent". It's a couple decades too late for that, and in any case it's very unlikely every single developer had the same opinion about Nintendo's forced LPF (if they were even aware of it). Even Nintendo themselves seem to value razor-sharp pixels above all else nowadays, as evidenced by the NES Classic not even doing a bit of filtering to fix the horizontal shimmering.

If the early models look better to you, use one of those. If the 1CHIP looks better to you, use that. Ignore the autists and play the games.
>>
>>4085654
Any SNES with the S-RGB chip as RGB encoder can be modded to output RGB. It's the earlier models with S-ENC, BA6592F, or BA6595F encoders that can't be modded.

>>4085719
The RGB-CPU-02 is the best possible SNES model. The big cost cutting hadn't started yet so you still have the DSP audio chip and early CPU, but you also get the S-RGB encoder as well. My model also hasn't suffered any yellowing, and is still perfectly gray.
>>
>>4086642
>RGB-CPU-02
Haven't heard of that, is it newer than the SHVC model? The guy in the Racketboy thread claims that was the best one
>>
>>4086669
>SHVC
That's the original SNES with the separate audio board. In order of release it goes:

SHVC-CPU-01(Original)
SNS-CPU-GPM-01
SNS-CPU-GPM-02
SNS-CPU-RGB-01
SNS-CPU-RGB-02(Last model before cost-cutting, has S-RGB)
SNS-CPU-APU-01
SNS-CPU-1CHIP-02(The 1Chip SNES)
SNN-CPU-01(SNES Jr)
>>
>>4086669
https://console5.com/wiki/SNES
>>
>>4086642
>https://console5.com/wiki/SNES
The NTSC motherboard like "SNS-CPU-RGB-02" is the same than Pal "SNSP-CPU-02" ???
>>
>>4086747
what about the 1CHIP-01 and 1CHIP03 models? ive heard that 03 has the sharpest pixels but is most prone to having all of the glitching issues and strange bright whites OP mentioned. evidently, 01 has the worst sharpness/brightness of the 3, but 02 is in the middle, but isnt as prone to the issues, so its regarded as the best of the 1CHIP revisions.

also, unrelated, but do you know what cost cutting measures were taken on the APU-01 board? im pretty sure thats the one ive got (dont remember at the moment) and i have mine hooked up to my pvm via csync RGB cables so i was wondering what you meant by future models not having that feature.
>>
SNES mini (SNS-101) is the best SNES. You'll need to mod it for RGB if that's your thing, but they look the best, IMHO.
>>
>>4086747
>>4086759
thanks, interesting stuff, my PAL SNES is most likely one of the GPM models. I wonder if a SNS-CPU-RGB-02 board would go inside my PAL shell
>>
>>4087684
if memory serves correctly, most boards can be swapped
>>
>>4087686
cool because I found a modder in AU who claims he can install a SFC board with SuperCIC in my SNES so I can have proper 60Hz while still having it look like my original SNES. Just gotta decide which SFC board I want
>>
>>4087664
>01 and 03
In order with the other 1Chip.
>APU
No, the RGB 02 was the FIRST model to have the S-RGB chip, all SNES's past that point have it. I have heard that you can pull RGB from some of the earlier RGB encoders, it just needs a bit of modification to provide a usable signal. Haven't tried it myself though, I'm happy enough with S-Video. As for the cost cutting measures, mostly on the sound circuit. The SMP and DSP sound processors got merged into the new APU, and I think the sound RAM got merged into that chip as well as the APU model onwards don't have separate audio RAM chips.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.