[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reviving an Atari ST

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: atari_1040_ste_with_box.jpg (31KB, 350x337px) Image search: [Google]
atari_1040_ste_with_box.jpg
31KB, 350x337px
So a few years back a pal gave me four Atari STs, all with no cables and no idea what condition they were in.

I want to start testing them to see if they can be brought back to life.

I'm scared to power them on incorrectly - it would be awful to fry one straight from the get-go.

What kind of power cable did these things use? Can I just use one of the standard, large square-tipped three prong power cables that you'd stick in a modern monitor or PC?

Google just turns up results for internal ST power supply issues - no info about what kinda cable these things natively used outta the box.
>>
Also does anyone use an SD card loader on one of these beasts? I'd really prefer to go that route than fuck with some ancient floppies. Is Ultrasatan the standard for that? Shit's expensive...
>>
>>4083529
Those midi ports tho bro
>>
>>4083365

They use bog-standard three-prong power cables.

I have a 1040STfm and a 4-meg STe: ask away if you have questions.
>>
>>4083805
Thanks man! Good to know.
Is the thing operable without a mouse? Might take a little while before I can get my hands on one.
>>
>>4083808

Yeah, but it ain't fun.

Alt + Arrows moves the cursor around (very goddamn slowly), Alt + Clr/Home for left click, Alt + Insert for right click.

Thankfully, with a bit of searching, you can find an optical Amiga / Atari ST mouse out there (probably sold in England).
>>
>>4083808
>>4083836

And, oh yeah, if you're gonna get into using Atari hardware, Best Electronics is your friend:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/accesori.htm
>>
>>4083529
:(

/vr/ really is dead then isn't it
>>
>>4083436
>Also does anyone use an SD card loader on one of these beasts?

There are things like ultrasatan but a lot of games doesn't work without tinkering because they expect to be loaded from the floppy drive, also, there's a problem with some DMA chips on these machines, they are defective and corrupt large drives, if you want just to play games I'd use a gotek.

More details about the dma issue here:

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/DMAfix/

The power supplies are solid, and you can't plug the power cable wrong, unles you are the hulk and a moron, but if you don't trust it just open the thing and look for bulges on the capacitors, if they look ok probably is going to work fine.

They use your normal 3 prong power supply cable.
>>
People use them, but there's no real need for something like an Ultrasatan.

An old PC with an internal floppy drive can write disks in the Atari ST format. With the right software (poke around on the internet or ask on the Atariage forums), you can write .st disk images to low-density 720k floppies (I have a fuck ton of low-density floppies that I got for the sole purpose of making ST and Amiga game disks).
>>
>>4083365
All games released for that pile of crap had better Amiga versions.
>>
>>4084423
Not all. There's at least 2-3 that ran better on the ST. It's also subjective. I've actually heard STfags argue that ST sound is better because it shittune. Not even joking.
>>
>>4084247
This sounds awesome and completely ridiculous

I need to start burning floppy's now
I only have two disk based consoles left to collect

(I'm not buying the Philips cd-i )
>>
I loved how ST looked(looks). Compared to Amiga ST was always bit more sleeker and stylish. I don't remember if you need external tv modulator or did it have one built in?
>>
>>4086581

The original ST did not; the STf added an internal floppy drive.

It was the STfm that added both a floppy drive and an RF modulator (the "m" is for "modulator), and the STe kept it.

Much better to have an RGB monitor though.
>>
Grew up with an Atari St 520fm. Pompey pirates, Medway Boys, Automation. .. Had all the pirate disks. Still do. Joystick port is broken though!
>>
>>4083365
Just sell it and buy an Amiga.
>>
>>4088506
This, unless it's a Falcon.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.