[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cables

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: saturn.jpg (40KB, 800x538px) Image search: [Google]
saturn.jpg
40KB, 800x538px
Hey /vr/. How easy is it to find cables or controllers for some of the less mainstream consoles out there?
Lately I’ve been eyeballing some Saturns and PC-engines that were being sold without any cables since they’re usually much cheaper, and I don’t want to waste hundreds of dollars on buying some guy’s entire collection in a bundle.
However I’m worried that I might be stuck with an unusable plastic brick if I can’t find any new cables for the damn things. Are consoles sold without cables worth it? Or am I better off being a good boy and paying more for a complete package?
>>
>>4081230
eBay, Chink cables are peanuts, usually with free shipping.

The only cable I've bought that didn't work was the PSP composite cable and I got a full refund on it.
>>
>>4081230
dunno about PCE, but getting cables for a Saturn isn't an issue at all (power is a really, really standard connector that the DC and fat PS2 also use, a/v cables aren't too hard to get)
would advise getting a Saturn with an included controller though simply because you can save like $10-20 that way vs getting a separate controller
>>
>>4081230
If anything finding controllers is easier for them ore obscure consoles. The NES and SNES controllers get bought really fast if in good shape.

Wires aren't an issue.
>>
>>4081230
Stupid hard.
I found my old Saturn with only a power cord and no controllers, but looking on ebay they are all about $30 each.
What sucks is I remember throwing the controllers away, one had a button that did not work.
Back then they were like $10 on ebay (6 years ago).
>>
>>4081345
If $30 for a brand new controller is too much you may want a different hobby.
>>
>>4081230
Depends on where you are and how much you want to pay. I buy consoles without anything else all the time because they're dirt cheap. I have plenty of controllers and cables and plenty of parts to make new ones if I need to.
>>
Can anyone tell me whether the official Sega Saturn RGB SCART cable is worth paying double what a generic one on eBay costs?
>>
>>4082152
Both are pretty garbage.
>>
You can very easily replace the cables for a Saturn with items that you should have lying around the house. The power cable is just a cord, no adapter or barrel connector needed. Same cord used on a dreamcast or playstation, not to mention a TV or stereo or pretty much anything else you probably have lying around.
The video connector is proprietary, but you can just stick a thin wire into the holes to get audio and video signals out. Works fine in a pinch. You can even get S-Video that way if you have a cable you are willing to cannibalize. If you want RGB you should probably just buy a real cable though.
>>
>>4082184
Bummer. What's the best 3rd party cable then?

Some guy in Poland makes one with an LM1881 circuit which would come in handy for my PVM-2950QM which doesn't accept RGBcvS and I heard that PAL consoles don't output raw sync from the AV port.
>>
>>4082242
For scart? Custom.
Micomsoft for JP21.
>>
>>4082207
>The video connector is proprietary
Not true.

It's a relatively unusual 10 pin variant of standard Mini-DIN but an off-the-shelf component nonetheless.
>>
>>4082243
Custom as in make my own?

I'm capable of doing this but don't really have the spare time at the moment.
>>
>>4082264
retro console accessories makes decent cables.
>>
>>4082272
I'm sure shipping to the UK would be a hassle.

Also doesn't she only open her shop at random times or something?
>>
>>4082303
Idk haven't bought from her in awhile. Over a year ago at least.
>>
>>4082254
Good to know so I can build an RGB cable someday, but the point is that it's not a common connector that you're likely to have lying around your shop.
>>
>>4082254
If it's a variant of a standard part that means it's not a standard part. Being COTS doesn't mean not proprietary.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.