/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PS1 Disc Swap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: playstation_one_sony.jpg (43KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
playstation_one_sony.jpg
43KB, 800x600px
Hey guys, I'm having trouble playing backups on my PS1 using the disc swap method. I tried burning LSD onto three different CDs: one with just the bin file, one with the bin and the cue file, and one with an ISO made from the bin and the cue. I burned them properly AFAIK (used IMGburn, it's pretty straightforward and I've done this before with Xbox games), but for some reason I can't get them to work on on my PS1. The disc swap method I'm using is swapping the genuine disc to the backup once the second (black) startup screen loads, swapping the genuine disc back in after the backup slows down, then swapping the backup in after the second screen goes to black. This worked with two genuine PS1 games, so I don't see why it would work win a backup. Sorry for the tech support post, but I've been reading shit online for the past couple hours and couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong. PS1 model is an SCPH-5501. Thanks in advance!
>>
>>4076997
>so I don't see why it would work win a backup

wouldn't work with
>>
>>4076997
Buy a Game Enhancer 9 to cut out most of the human error as far as disc swapping goes, buy some nice CDs (Sony or something), and burn the .cue with ImgBurn as slow as possible.
>>
>>4076997
try doing the swap with a different game, and try burning with alcohol 120% since it has a built in preset for PS1 games. you can also use this preset to make your own copies, so try doing it with one of your games.
>>
>>4077043
I mean, at that point I might as well just buy a modchip. I'll probably do that eventually, I'm just really impatient and want to play something tonight. I got some Maxell CDs at a pharmacy near me that look decent. It says that it may not be compatible with drives recording at 1x speed; could that be a problem?

>>4077049
I tried the swap with the two games I have, MGS Disc 1 and Mary-Kate and Ashley: Winner's Circle (disappointed those franchises didn't do a crossover). I also tried a new CD with Alcohol 120%; for some reason I couldn't change the write speed but it said it was at 12x. I checked PlayStation in the datatype box. Still nothing with either CD. I can't get it to fade out of the second startup screen after putting the actual PS1 CD back in.
>>
>>4076997
I think you're doing it wrong, hold on a minute.
>>
>>4077143
Ok, please give me any other info you have (what burning program you used, where you got the ROM, etc.)
>>
>>4077148
Okay

>Use Alcohol120
>Don't do it right at the black screen wait for it to actually slow down
>Swap in the back up
>Wait for the second slow down
>Swap in the genuine
>Wait for the black screen
>Swap in the backup

Watch youtube videos if you are still having trouble.
>>
>>4076997
PS1 games are dirt cheap on ebay and craigslist you cheap fucker.
>>
File: Capture.png (347KB, 684x709px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
347KB, 684x709px
>>4077182
hmmm
>>
>>4077185
How about just burning/buying a modchip? Basically all the important chips' sources are available nowadays.
https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?95754-Util-PSX-Modchip-Pack-(hexdumps-install-diagrams-sources)
Hell, even already if you buy a used one you find a already chipped one more often than a non-chipped one if you wanna go that route.
>>
File: Untitled.png (831KB, 1523x694px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
831KB, 1523x694px
>>4077185
US ebay is so stupid for import games. There's multiple copies of LSD on Amazon.jp for ~$210. Also this:
>>
>>4077207
LSD is a waste of money.
>>
>>4077151
Alright, here's everything I did:

>got new .cue and .bin off of CoolROM
>burned them in Alcohol120% with normal settings; I also checked PlayStation under datatype
>it burnt at 16x, I couldn't change this
>burn complete

>tried booting up a by swapping MK&A with a really beat copy of MGS
>worked
>tried booting up by swapping MK&A with LSD
>screen didn't turn black
>tried with MGS
>screen didn't turn black

I've noticed that the LSD disc never really stops spinning the first time it goes in; it just slows down to 1x no matter what you put in there. Anyone have any more technical info on what is being read at each of these parts? Don't know if it would help me but I'd be interested to read more

>>4077201
Was gonna do some sort of modding soon, I'm just trying to play this tonight since I was suddenly gifted this PlayStation.
>>
>>4077227
>coolrom
Ew

What model of psx are you using. A standard "fat" grey one or the smaller psOne. They have different swapping methods.
>>
>>4077185
(((game)))
>>
>>4077258
It's an SCPH-5501, the standard model. More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_models#Comparison_of_models
>>
>>4077265
If I remember right this should use a single swap method instead of the double swap, as the psONE does some extra verification to prevent piracy. Look up a swaptrick for a non psONE console and see what happens. I really doubt it's the media you're using as I've been doing my backups with some no name discs I got at Goodwill for 6 bucks.
>>
Has it occurred to you that maybe the laser needs tweaking just a tiny bit to read cd-rs?

Likelihood is that your swap method is sound (as it works on pressed discs) but the laser is just on that threshold where it can't quite get a lock on burned discs.
>>
>>4077594
How would I go about tweaking the laser? I'm fairly certain now that that is the problem since the disc reads fine in ePSXe
>>
>>4077930
Refer to section A of this link (the bias and gain are handled automagically on the 5501 you have, you just need to deal with the intensity).

If you don't have access to a multimeter just turn the pot THE TINIEST AMOUNT ANTICLOCKWISE. Seriously, don't overdo it. If you have any copied audio CDs you can use those to test for success rather than going through the rigmarole of a swap trick every time. Best of luck anon!

http://dogbreath.de/PS1/LaserAlignment/Laser.html
>>
Buy the gameshark version 4.0 CD (do not buy the CDX). They are pretty cheap, and can be found in thrift stores for >$1.

It acts like a swap disc and it stops the motor so you don't have to lift a moving CD.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.