[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you like the most in your RPGS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: ffv2.png (201KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ffv2.png
201KB, 1920x1080px
What do you like the most in your RPGS?
>>
File: Fallout.jpg (26KB, 282x218px) Image search: [Google]
Fallout.jpg
26KB, 282x218px
>>4076917

the ability to move during combat
the ability to make plot decisions
>>
>>4076917
cute girls
fast battles
interesting settings (pls no medieval fantasy)
some kind of unique mechanic or twist on the conventional formula
good writing, lots of flavor text
>>
>>4076917
See >>4074126

We have a thread just like, please use the catalog before making a thread.
>>
characters and story, a fairly linear arc like a novel rather than the more open ended exploration games; then turn based battles with a decent degree of strategy.

dislikes are large amounts of grinding, random battles (if they are too frequent)
>>
Character customization and growth mechanics that stray from the beaten path.
>>
An open world.
>tfw no charming 16-bit slave trading
>>
Getting overpowered weapons or abilities early like Squall's Lionheart in FF8 on Disc 1.

When "shit gets real", high stakes situations happen with millions of lives on the line.
>>
1. Be able to name character(s)
2. Shops that sell stuff worth having
3. Low money, high difficulty
4. An element of mysteriousness in the story
5. Non-linearity
>>
Battles that feel exciting, outstanding atmosphere and music. There seems to be few out there that have both.
>>
>>4076965
0/10
>>
>>4077438
>an element of mysteriousness in the story

lol that's like every story ever in existence
>>
memorable music and pleasing asthetics.
>>
>>4076917
I want to play as a filthy whore that fucks guys for free drugs, therefore Fallout 2 is the best.
>>
>>4076917
Having battles that you're supposed to lose but not actually making any of them unwinnable.
>>
It's a simple feature, but I like low number RPGs where you start off doing single digit damage and have double digit hp, and at the end of the game both are in the triple digits.

Maybe I'm just really dumb, but it makes the difference between experience levels or weapons much more obvious.

Also an interesting battle mechanic plus things to put time into besides my character's level.
>>
>>4076917
When they take after dungeon crawlers and not after Mexican soap operas.
>>
The ability to affect the story. I can understand limitations, but complete linearity leaves me somewhat blueballed on what could've been.

I think it's a major failing of an RPG to have a point in the game where the only way the rest of the story could work is if the player character did something very foolish and the player himself sees it coming and can't do anything to prevent it. Makes it feel like the story was crafted backwards, with the intended result being created first and then the storywriter had to go backward and make things fit to have it happen that way.
>>
I'm actually in the process of making an RPG that's similar to Castle of the Wind, Ultima, etc.

I'm thinking of a mechanic such that the player doesn't get experience by killing things, but instead from completing major quests (therefore making the game viable for non-financial classes). Killing things would net you loot which would allow you to purchase better equipment, and would also result in less grinding. Would you guys like this mechanic?
>>
javing many options to customize your strategy and exploit combos. To this day the RPGs I've replayed the most are FFV and the Pokemon series (which to me seems the best example of that aspect of RPGs, even more so if you take PvP into consideration). Any other titles that could give me the same satisfaction?
>>
Breaking their systems.
>>
File: 220px-Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg (37KB, 220x305px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Phantasy_Star_EotM_cover.jpg
37KB, 220x305px
In recent years Ive come to really appreciate well done pacing.

Games like Phantasy Star 4 and Chrono Trigger aren't super long games but they move at such a pace I never feel like Im being forced to do something or like work.
>>
>>4082731
>>4082731
>non-financial
*non-fighting, although both would apply for a monk class.
>>
>>4082747
This. This is why I'll never enjoy any of the elder scrolls games post Morrowind.
>>
I like side quests, an explorable map, ability to turn off random encounters, and multiple methods of gaining powers and strength etc. Im looking at you FFVIII
>>
>>4082740
You should look into the SMT series. You get a party system similar to pokemon, and while each game is different in how it handles it you gain advantages like extra attacks for exploiting enemy weaknesses.
>>
>Character customization
>Large equipment variety
>Large spell/ability variety
>Non-linear storyline (open-ended stories and side-quests don't count)
>>
-Lots of exploration
-Non-linearity, let me do some dungeons out of order
-Either have fully fleshed out characters or have a job system
-Good navigation, game easily tells me where to go, while still having some room of exploration of course.
-Don't have level caps, let the player grind to their content, level caps just make it feel less of an RPG
-Every enemy should have similar power. Don't mix weak foes with overpowered foes. It breaks the difficulty curve
>>
>>4082156
This is why I liked the Paper Mario games. Only one of them is /vr/ but I digress.
>>
>>4082731
It could work. I've actually played a game with that mechanic but it wasn't /vr/. It was Lightning Returns, and the game has a time management mechanic so the quest exp was put in place so you wouldn't need to waste time farming mobs.
>>
>>4082761
Have you ever played the Bravely Default games? They have most of these things.
>>
>>4085912
Or Super Mario RPG for that matter - my personal favorite rpg ever.
>>
>>4076917
turn based
lots of random encounters
temporary buffs that alter stats, thus altering turn order unexpectedly
can't see enemy HP
really basic commands (attack / magic / heal) to keep things simple
bosses with obvious weaknesses
really repetitive battle music
>>
>>4077016
Pretty much this. I was going to list story as the most important, but some of my favorite games like Eye of the Beholder and Might and Magic 3 - 5 had little story to speak of.
>>
>>4076917
Knowing the rules of one, and then breaking them.
>>
File: 1496861675808.gif (469KB, 512x807px) Image search: [Google]
1496861675808.gif
469KB, 512x807px
>>4077029
I discovered this game the other day, is it actually good? The OST arrangements that Yoko Kanno made are fucking 10/10
>>
>>4076917
Might sound specific, but the ability to fight whatever you want whenever you want.
Also being able to fight on the same screen you move around on, instead of going into a separate fighting mode that restricts movement
>>
>>4076917
The ones that aren't too non-linear and create a credible narrative
>>
>>4088903

This. I want a credible narrative. You can do the whole "chosen hero saves the world" thing too, but my expectations will be a metric fuckload higher due to how overdone that is.
>>
>>4076917
Some sort of customization if not actual roleplaying
Which is why I like pic related and fucking hate FF4
>>
File: GFtg91u.jpg (445KB, 1896x2668px) Image search: [Google]
GFtg91u.jpg
445KB, 1896x2668px
>moderately strategic combat, be it turn based or action
>interesting environments and world to travel through
>monster designs, I love seeing the monsters that jrpgs offer
I wish other genres put as much attention into their monsters as rpgs.
>>
>>4089624

...Is that a European knight using a jetpack while weilding an AK and an assault shotgun?
>>
>>4089640
Yes, and it is also a demon.

As I said, other genres just don't compare in enemy design.
>>
>>4089624
Is this actually from something, or just art
>>
>>4090836
Shin Megami Tensei 2
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.