[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo Uncle meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

I have a question to people on /vr/ who actually were kids in the 80s, as I'm myself younger than that (inb4 underage).
I'm often seeing from various retro-related media and so on a common cliche of 'I have uncle who works at Nintendo" as a stock lie a kid makes up to say bullshit about videogames. My question is - was this actually a thing? Did people actually claim bullshit like that or is it just a meme that caught on for some reason?
(also sorry for the op pic, I have no fucking clue what I should've went with)
>>
>>4076605

No, kids said dumb shit like this all the time.
>>
>>4076605
I've got news for you kid. Your friends uncle doesn't really work at King.
>>
>>4076605
Kids have always like sounding cooler then they are, this has always been true. With the rise of gaming being informative and knowing things others don't. Often kids would pretend and make up rumors to press other kids. This was of course more popular to do with more popular games. People would make up bullshit like "you can play as luigi in super mario 64" or "you can save aeris/aerith in FFVII" and it would require doing some kind of near impossible bullshit. Because the internet was still primative and guidebooks/magazines were not fully reliable all these rumors were spread like wildfire and because the requirements were often such bullshit most people couldn't disprove. The statement "my uncle works at nintendo" is more representative of that time period where rumors in gaming were still a thing and lying aboutbwhat happens in games was possible. As for why "uncle" and "nintendo" those are just two of the biggest ones people would use. Uncle was probably used as most didn't live with thier uncle so often someone wouldn't have to worry people learning thier bullshiting and nintendo because it's nintendo.
>>
When pokemon red and blue was released we used to make these kind of claims all the time in the playground
>>
Imagine being that kid who actually did have an uncle working for Nintendo. It'd be awesome, but nobody would believe you.
>>
>>4076605
It's not a meme, it's totally accurate. Half the kids at my school had "an uncle who works at Nintendo". News flash! 8 year olds suck at lying!
>>
>grow up in Redmond, WA
>actually did know a kid who had an actual uncle who actually worked at Nintendo
>kid wasn't privy to any sort of secrets and didn't get any games early
>except years later when we were older and his uncle gave him a copy of Smash Bros Brawl like a week before it came out
>>
File: 528480.jpg (125KB, 960x542px) Image search: [Google]
528480.jpg
125KB, 960x542px
>>4076718
and just in case anyone wants to call bullshit, I still have a few games from my childhood with this sticker on it.
>>
>>4076718
>>4076721
It isn't retro but I guess it's also worth mentioning that I had a friend whose dad worked at Microsoft on the Xbox team, and I remember playing a mostly-done version of the first level of Halo over at his house. We were about 11 or 12 at the time, the Xbox came out a year or so later. There were the usual work-in-progress things to expect, like level descriptions just saying "blah blah blah words words words" and stuff like that. But the one thing specific detail I remember that wasn't in the final game was at the very beginning of level 1 when you're on your way to meet Captain Keyes. In the final game, the circled spot on the pic has a marine or two laying against bulkheads with blood on the floor, but in whatever build of the game we played there were rows of crucified soldiers. Like at least 5 or 6 of them all clustered together. It was really disturbing and it stuck with me, I can see why it didn't make it into the final game.
>>
>>4076746
That's pretty cool. What did the prototype Xbox consoles look like? Was it a Duke controller too?
>>
I never heard anyone say this before /vr/
>>
>>4076718
In 1997 I spent a summer in Redmond stuffing N64 carts in boxes on an assembly line. 12 hour days, three days a week. After a month I thought I was going to go insane; there were older people who had been doing it for years. I don't know how people are able to do that kind of work for long.

Anyways, I got to say I worked at Nintendo. Also they had a Playchoice 10 in the breakroom. Other than than, it was unremarkable.
>>
>>4076669
>you can save aeris/aerith in FFVII
Even though there wasn't actually a way to save her there WAS an FMV of Tifa jumping in front of the blade on the disc.
>>
>>4076769
I don't remember what the Xbox itself looked like, but we did indeed use dukes.

>>4076775
Did they actually do any packaging/manufacturing at the Redmond campus? I thought all that sort of stuff was done out in North Bend where the wearhouse is.

And one more story, I guess
>brother was about 12 or 13 in 1994/1995
>Nintendo had some sort of program where they'd have kids come playtest games for them and give them t-shirts and Nintendo Power subscriptions and whatever else
>brother tells me about how he tested out Star Fox 2
>tells me it let you turn into a robot and walk around
>the game never comes out
>Star Fox 64 has none of the things he was talking about
>assume for years he was bullshitting me
>finally see the Star Fox 2 beta when it gets leaked
>it's all the things he said it was back then
>feel like a dick for thinking he'd been lying to me for a decade or more
>>
>>4076676
>>4076648
>>4076669
>>4076713
Thanks for the input, that's actually really interesting.
>>
>>4076783
No there wasn't
>>
>>4077136
I really honestly couldn't possibly give less of a shit if you believe me or not. I know it's there and that's all that really matters to me.
>>
I knew a kid like that, he did indeed say his dad worked for Nintendo. Then he told me about some secret way to get the biggoron's sword as child Link before leaving the forest, which would cause Milo to challenge you to a duel. There was also some shit about being able to drive a Cadillac instead of riding Epona (no doubt inspired by the actual Cadillac in Rogue Squadron)

Later another friend told me about how there was a third Megaman X game and you could play as Zero, but if he died once you couldn't use him ever again and I was so sure he was talking bullshit like the other kid. Then I found out it was real.
>>
>>4076605
my half-sister actually worked for their customer service department but this was a few years ago for like two months before getting fired
>>
>>4077138
If that was on the disc it would be well documented online. You would not be the only person in the world who looked on the discs of the second best selling game on the PlayStation. Tcrf has a huge page documenting unused content in ff7 yet the cutscene you describe is nowhere to be seen.

You can go ahead and not care what anybody thinks, but you are wrong.
>>
>>4076605
It absolutely was a thing. Everyone knew that kid, or at least everyone knew someone who bigged themselves up a little once or twice.

It wasn't always an "uncle" and it wasn't always "Nintendo"
>>
Sounds like an American thing, I got told all kind of bullshit as a kid but /vr/ was the first place I ever read about the whole uncle works at Nintendo narrative.
>>
>friend claims his aunt is a God
>go to his house and meet her
>it's true
man I miss MUDs
>>
>>4076605
I had a friend who claimed all this kind of crap. I played along just for the hell of it.
>>
>>4076605
>just a meme

Old guy here. Can confirm that it's just a meme.

Kids DO say stupid shit, but it was not in any way shape or form common to claim that you had a relative who worked for Nintendo.

Just a meme.
>>
>>4077513
I'll add that the faggots in this thread claiming otherwise are redditors who weren't even alive when the NES was out and they're just perpetuating the meme because literally their entire lives is just memeposting.
>>
I'm from the U.K. And it absolutely was a thing. So much Pokémon bullshit spread around.
>>
>>4077513
>Old guy here
Sounds legit

>>4077519
Sounds even more legit
>>
>tfw you used to play online with a guy who claimed his big bro worked for Valve
>laugh it off till he lets you log in on his Steam account so you can try out a game and he literally had every single game ever released in the library
>>
>>4077513
>>4077519
Old guy here.

Kids are absolute faggots and definitely claimed shit like this.

It was also people on forums. There were huge threads on ff2 and ff3 forums on all about how to save general leo and how to get the pink tail and how to reach the dev room and all sorts of stupid impossible shit.

Devs helped because sometimes this shit would be fucking true like getting general leo in your party.
>>
>>4076605
>Did people actually claim bullshit like that or is it just a meme that caught on for some reason?

Ahh the naivety of people who grew up in the post-internet era. Yes indeed, people made up all kinds of shit. They still do, but fact checking is so much faster and easier.
>>
>>4077710
Seconding this, I'm not super old (well, maybe by 4chan standards I am) but I heard plenty of shit growing up that was total video game bullshit. Particularly when pokemon first came out like >>4076676 said. Stuff like "if you play for 1000 hours the SS Anne comes back and takes you to a whole new area." Also that one fucking kid going on and on about how you could play as Goku in smash bros, pretty sure he even used the "my uncle works at Nintendo and showed me" line.
>>
I know this isn't related to the video game but I always laughed at people who said "My relative works for nintendo/microsoft/whatever" but then I remember my father LITERALLY worked for Sony for a few years when I was little.
General Electronics department, sure, but still worked for Sony.
>>
I was born in 1995 and there was a kid who claimed his dad worked at digimon and he had hot knowledge about some upcoming bullshit.
>>
>>4076605
Yes, every class in every school had a kid who would say it.
It was me. I did it.
>>
I definitely remember those type of claims on late 90's message boards....I'm surprised someone hasn't dug them up on one those internet archive websites.

I don't think I ever heard it in real life though.
>>
>>4079130

Nobody liked that kid
>>
Not Nintendo, but I had a friend tell me there was going to be a new starcraft expansion in like 2000 ish where you could play as the Xel'Naga
>>
>>4076605
There was a kid in my class claiming that all white cars were police cars. Such a retarded lie that he was called out on it instantly, but he kept insisting.
>>
My grandpa actually worked at Sega (EU) in the 90s.
In packaging, but it still counts.
>>
>>4076605
The funny thing is that it cross the barriers of world, it used to happen in Brazil too.
>>
>>4081063
You need to be at least 18 years old to post on 4chan.
>>
>>4077282
No I'm not wrong, but okay. Not my fault your shitty sites haven't found it. It's there. Only reason I bother posting it is in hopes that someone else will crop up confirming it.
>>
Not a meme. I knew at least 3 kids who said this. It was used to back-up some lie like "Link and Zelda get married at the end of Wind Waker" before the games actually came out. So basically how you see it used .
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.