[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star Ocean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

File: Rena.Lanford.full.123593.jpg (314KB, 700x923px) Image search: [Google]
Rena.Lanford.full.123593.jpg
314KB, 700x923px
Who's got the better story, Rena or Claude?

Also feel free to discuss Star Ocean, Star Ocean 2, or any other Tri-Ace games.
>>
>Who's got the better story, Rena or Claude?
How pretentious do you have to be to pretend that their stories are actually different?
>>
File: 15234213415123.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
15234213415123.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>4075105
>son of a protagonist from the first game and ensign on a spaceship from Earth who happens on an alien planet and becomes the Hero of Light
>forgettable elf girl who only serves to cuck Claude with Dias
>>
File: Ronyx_EX.jpg (26KB, 482x359px) Image search: [Google]
Ronyx_EX.jpg
26KB, 482x359px
>>4075128
>wah wah wah my daddy's shadow
>An girl searching for answers to who and what she is and her mysterious powers
>>
>>4075053
Claude gets access to more waifus

so I choose Claude
>>
File: leon1.png (165KB, 260x512px) Image search: [Google]
leon1.png
165KB, 260x512px
>>4075319
Leon is the only recruitable character unique to Claude's story. Is Leon your waifu?
>>
>>4075353
:3
>>
File: 123.jpg (197KB, 1114x706px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
197KB, 1114x706px
>>4075053
I liked Claude's story, or at least the idea of it. Being stranded in a primitive world when you're from a futuristic world is a cool concept in general. Thought the little inner monologue Claude had when trying to understand the primitive world in a more scientific way was neat too.

Couldn't stand his fucking voice though, but thankfully there's an undubbed version around.
>>
>>4075418
That's exactly why I prefer him to Rena. He actually makes mention and has knowledge of more advanced tech. I also noticed that in many of the scenes throughout the game involving such tech or knowledge, Opera (and possibly Ernest, though I never recruited him) also had similar reactions, since they're also from elsewhere.
>>
>>4075448

Ultimately though for all their effort we're still stuck with two mediocre story routes instead of one good one.

It's a weird conundrum because the scenes that are independent to either character ARE important to developing their stories but at the same time there's not enough of them and the games too long to justify playing through the game twice to see them.
>>
>>4075053
Given that you only get the full story with Claude he obviously has the "better" story but in practice we are talking about few short scenarios and couple of text boxes here.

IMO in every other way picking Rena is a better choice overall as Dias is definitely superior party member compared to Leon as magic-user apart from Rena become worthless as the game progresses. Then again you get the possibility of stealing Battle Suit early on from one of the guys in the spaceship you only get to visit while playing as Claude.
>>
>>4075053
RENA A CUTE. CUUUTE!
>>
>>4077520

Dias is also one of the weakest recruitable party members, so you'll only want him if you like cool edgy anime swordsmen.
>>
>>4078308
I thought Dias was just as good as the other melee characters.
Though I only played the PSP port, and I'm aware Dias can't increase his normal attacks in the original.
>>
>>4078308
He's better in the PSP version
>>
I like Rena's. Rena is the official canon which leads to the sequel SO Blue Sphere, and it makes less sense for Claude to do what he does in his ending. Actual spoilers. He never passed his father in deed, and since he did become the hero of light, it's better for him to stay in Expel.
>>
>>4075053
Rena is incredibly cute (her PSP art is so fucking bad), but the game is more fleshed out around Claude's story.

>>4075353
yes
>>
>>4078308
Dias' Hawk Scream Blast can hit like 8 times and do like 50k or more damage. You just suck.
>>4075128
>>forgettable elf girl who only serves to cuck Claude with Dias
Rena won't cuck you in Claude's game if you never invite any other party members like that turboslut Celine

There's also like 10 scenes where they hook up
>>
>>4081331
>turboslut Celine
rude
>>
>>4079129
>blue sphere translation still being held hostage by gideon

Fuuuuuuuck
>>
File: fcd8c09e2011a791cb41605eaaae4074.png (392KB, 1021x1219px) Image search: [Google]
fcd8c09e2011a791cb41605eaaae4074.png
392KB, 1021x1219px
>>4075053
Rena because I wanted to be the little girl.
>>
>>4081443
>freebleeding.jpg
>>
>>4078392

Dias got buffed to not be fucking terrible in the PSP version is why. In the PS1 he was trash.
>>
>>4081493
You're supposed to use his specials. Hawk Scream Blast does the most damage out of any Killer Move for each hit, and each individual frame of the wind up will hit as hard as the bird projectile, but you have to be skilled enough to shuffle a party member behind him so he doesn't push himself away while he uses it, and wedge the enemy either between him and a third attacker or a wall. It's pretty easy to get it going reliably and once you figure it out it sort of trivializes all the bossfights because of the stunlock and huge damage and uninterruptible guard break thing it's got going on.
>>
>>4075053
Claude because I love sci-fi stories. Rena is a cute, though.

Given how important Tetragenesis is by the SO3 era, will we ever get to visit it?

If you don't know, Tetragenesis is a major supplier of several industrial products within the Federation and also the place where the remnants of the Federation fleet and practically everyone else rallied at for a final line of defense during the events of SO3. Clearly, they are major players.
>>
>>4081557
Doesn't SO3 retcon the entire series so that every character in SO and SO2 are videogame programs and then every character in the series after that has literal actual space autism
>>
>>4081561
The universe is a simulation, yes. Not a retcon so much as a reveal. I don't know what you mean by space autism, though. I also don't think the simulation aspect invalidates the events of the previous games.
>>
>>4081564
>I don't know what you mean by space autism, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hQjJ151MwQ
>>
>>4081580
Yeah, I don't know either. That part is hardly the worst of SO4, though. Personally, I hated the entire part of the game where Edge goes full emo. If it weren't for that, the game would be more tolerable.
>>
File: descartes.jpg (151KB, 817x1000px) Image search: [Google]
descartes.jpg
151KB, 817x1000px
>>4081561
>Doesn't SO3 retcon the entire series so that every character in SO and SO2 are videogame programs

NO! The whole point is that they had evolved past being a digital construct and have achieved true sentience. They eat, sleep, dream, feel, bleed, love, fuck and perceive all on their own.

The whole point of the game is Descartian philosophy, Cogito ergo Sum. I think therefore I am. Regardless of how their world was created as of now they're fully 100 percent human.

Why do people see the video game thing and only stop at the literal interpretation? This isn't complex shit.
>>
>>4081624
I know, right? SO3 isn't perfect, but the simulation aspect is not where the problem lies.
>>
>>4081624
descartes is a hack and none of his ideas have any actual meaning, establishing facts is a waste of time when the truth or falsity of those facts has no inherent value, none of it explains any sort of cause and effect, just the logical rationalization of that which is inherently obvious

theres no problem, solution, direction, or purpose, it's like trying to inform someone that the sky is blue or the sun is hot

come up with something useful to think about
>>
>>4081443
>>4081490

This guy is right. BUT You do get to cuck an NPC boy named Yun or something in Rena's route. So if you're MGTOW, play Claude and ignore all the broads.
>>
>>4077520
Except you don't have to use Dias or Leon. They both kinda suck compared better options. IMO optimal team would be Claude, Rena, Opera/Ashton and Chisato/Precis. Precis can imitate Ashton's best sword move in a PA but otherwise Chisato has better faster killer moves.
>>
>>4075053
Ugh, strategy RPGs... Make me feel nauseous with their hideous grids and slow battles.
>>
File: char_Rena.jpg (90KB, 640x1198px) Image search: [Google]
char_Rena.jpg
90KB, 640x1198px
>>4081312
Old artwork is better but not represented her character at all .
>>
File: 1178322824154.jpg (113KB, 600x603px) Image search: [Google]
1178322824154.jpg
113KB, 600x603px
I know asking this is a looong shot but I remember Rena wetting herself being some sort of meme on some internet sites 5 to 10 years ago. Where the fuck did this originate? I'm pretty sure there aren't any scenes >implying this happening in the actual game (at least in the NA version) or in the Star Ocean animu?
>>
>>4082076
>strategy RPGs... Make me feel nauseous with their hideous grids and slow battles.

??? What has that gotta do with SOs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o07dH0XSFjA
>>
Just got jp star ocean 3 for 5 bucks at a local convention. But actually never got to play it. Is it a good starting point for the series? Or should I check the psp remake?
>>
File: 1467922267574.jpg (885KB, 3507x2480px) Image search: [Google]
1467922267574.jpg
885KB, 3507x2480px
>>4082618
Start with SO2 on the PS1.
>>
>>4075418

Its unfortunate Rena doesn't step up on Nede. Claude is seemingly holding back his knowledge and does have nice moments of loneliness and curiosity on Expel.

On Nede Rena could have been this way trying to understand the technology and felt like an accepted outsider. A bunch of aliens show up to Nede, but she's no alien, but she's no local. I feel they really dropped the ball on character moments on disc 2.
>>
>>4081624
>This isn't complex shit.

It's not satisfying either. It's hard to pull off these things and still have it work for the story. Mel Brooks can say he's in a movie in his movies, cause he plays it for laughs. He's poking fun at these concepts. Saying video game characters are video game characters and delving into sentience, existence and reality starts to wear thin on your narrative as it is trying desperately to add a layer. It's difficult to add a layer when you've thinned the 4th wall though. That's why SO3 story fails. It's not a failure to understand philosophical concepts, it's a failure to execute them into the narrative.
>>
>>4082052
Precis' best killer move is the one where she kicks Bobot at the enemy

if you don't know why I'm not going to tell you
>>
>>4082618
I started with 3. You won't be lost or anything.
>>
File: index.jpg (11KB, 185x272px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11KB, 185x272px
>>4075128
>fire up game for first time
>enjoy Claude's opening
>immediately get set up with Rena, saving her life
>come to her rescue multiple other times in the beginning of the game
>obvious forced shipping, but its a jRPG so I'm okay with it
>Dias gets introduced short time later
>seen enough h-animes to know where this crap is going
>"childhood friend" she moons over and starts ditching Claude, the guy who routinely saves her life for
>by the time she's trying to commission a legendary sword for Dias to use to kill me with, I'm not even surprised anymore
>Dias ultimately wins Arena match against me, presumably from invincibility of the magic sword that treacherous Rena got for him
>start icing the bitch out
>world blows up and Dias with it
>Rena is depressed and turns to her consolation prize - Claude
>laugh at the bitch and go fugg Celine instead

Outplayed the sloot.
>>
File: 59748.jpg (28KB, 225x318px) Image search: [Google]
59748.jpg
28KB, 225x318px
>>4082770
I wouldn't know Precis's best anything since I always went with the Kung Fu pharmacist.
>>
>>4082770
http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/so2/precis.shtml

Ally Oop? But Bowman is better with ranged moves. He's only bad when his MP runs out.
>>
File: chisato.jpg (24KB, 153x500px) Image search: [Google]
chisato.jpg
24KB, 153x500px
Chisato is mai waifu
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.