[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What made this game so fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

File: Super-mario-bros-logo.jpg (227KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Super-mario-bros-logo.jpg
227KB, 1600x1200px
What made this game so fun?
>>
>>4074821
>blue sky
>>
>>4074821
physics. It's fun to jump backwards at the last minute over and under obstacles.
>>
>>4074821
The brutal, nigh-insurmountable challenge.
>>
>>4074868
Are you serious? I beat it when I was like 12, and I felt like even that was too late lmao.
It's a pretty easy game, mate.
>>
>>4074868
I'm awful at video games and even I can beat both quests without warp zones. Git gud
>>
>>4074821
The level design. The physics engine too, once you get to know it, but mostly the level design. Each level builds upon the last in such an intricate way that you always have the tools necessary at hand to beat it if you've been paying attention.

Unfortunately, these days most people just warp ahead to 4-1 immediately, ruining this effect and creating the "SMB1 is too hard!" narrative. You can't say you've really beaten SMB unless you've beaten every level without continues, warps, hacks or cheats.
>>
>>4074821
the turtle stomping
>>
It wasn't fun, it's pure trial and error bullshit. Once you're in the air you're helpless, you have to know the level beforehand and plan your jumps ahead.
You know what was fun? Mario 3. With enough skill you can be jumping at full speed and land next to piranha plants at the last second like it's nothing, the challenge in that game is pure skill, not so much in SMB. I remember the last world had some tiny platforms where you had to start running from a precise location to get the right amount of momentum to land on them, tons of examples of bullshit like that.
>i-i could actually speedrun the game in 5 minutes without warps or continues when I was on my mom's womb
Yeah, after how many tries I wonder.
>>
>>4074956
Yes, the artificial difficulty greatly detracts from the game's retro feel.
>>
>>4074821
>blue sky
>bush clouds
>shroomz dude weed
>impossible difficulty
>revolutionary jumping and holding right mechanics
>better than sonic
>1080p hdmi enhanced graphics
>classic cuckold fairy tale
>japanese racist italian propaganda
>>
>>4074883
This was me back in the day, my cousin showed me the warps and I played that way for years. It wasn't until I was an emulating adult that I decided to try the game without the cheating. I was astounded at how thoughtful each level was and how it ramped up the difficulty juuuuuuust a little bit each time. Levels were pretty short but that was okay when there were THAT MANY and some were downright weird, almost seeming like a break from the challenge to just do weirdish things with the assets.

I can still picture in my mind how far away I'd have to run to get the optimal jump, the feeling of knowing you didn't do it right and you're just running back and forth trying to get the right speed, making mario look like a drunken irishman.
>>
>>4074981
But once the dust settles we realize the game was only just another PacLandvania.
>>
>>4074821

At the time the only thing I had played similar to it was Pac-Land and I had no idea how to get past those long jump parts.

This game was a revelation in gameplay and control. I could actually beat levels. Also bitchin music.
>>
>>4074872
It is the latest hip and cool meme, pay it no mind.
>>
>>4074839
came here to post this. good work, anon.
>>
>>4076759
>complimenting someone for being a memester
This is what it has come to.
>>
>>4074821
Its fast and when you get those jumps and fireballs right it feels so good.
Its the best mario game, no other mario games comes close, the rest are slow with useless powerups.
Mario peaked with that game.
>>
File: IMG_20170624_045836.jpg (4MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170624_045836.jpg
4MB, 4096x2304px
I think my NES is broken guys....for some reason the palette is off and the sky is blue!
>>
File: dudecrt.jpg (4MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
dudecrt.jpg
4MB, 4096x2304px
>>4077463
try adjusting the TINT dude
>>
>>4077479
lol I used to do shit like this and pretend I was playing another game. Yeah you kids who grew up with the internet and downloadable ROMs have NO IDEA how bad shit used to be, when you didn't even have a computer let alone a net connection, and your choices were make your own fun with the game you've played a billion times already or switch over and hope there's a rerun on you like

But yeah I think the one of the main things that makes SMB great is the visuals. I'm sure someone will be eager to correct me but I think SMB was at least one of the earliest mainstream games that had distinct environments as you progressed. This is the reason it was the watershed moment it was, because it creates the feeling of an ongoing journey. I like even older games too but there's this feeling of claustrophobia that SMB was able to defeat pretty much just by adding decoration. There are still some fundamental game design lessons here imo
>>
>>4074821
the music
the enemies
the flagpole
>>
>>4077479
>>4077581
I used to do this too.
I liked to lower the contrast/increase brightness, and add a lot of color and yellow/blue tint.

Every level was an ice level.

t.poorboy
>>
>>4077725
Nice m8
>>
Variable running speed and jump height which depends on your speed
Come on guys
Level design as well, but le controls
>>
File: me being a pedantic faggot.png (212KB, 440x341px) Image search: [Google]
me being a pedantic faggot.png
212KB, 440x341px
>>4077880
Jump height depends on how long you press the jump button while only jump distance is affected by your current speed (and optional aerial directional inputs).
>>
>>4077942
Is that true?
It sure isn't true for later Mario games, there's been plenty of blocks I couldn't get onto by jumping straight up onto unless I got a running start.
>>
File: Exactly as Intended.png (39KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
Exactly as Intended.png
39KB, 640x384px
>>4074821
>blue sky
fuck off
pic related is how it's supposed to look like
>>
>>4078065
Now I'm not so sure anymore and don't know if I was just talking out of my ass. Huh.

Of course jumping distance was also affected by how long you pressed the jump button, but I remember jump height being the constant in SMB1 independent of velocity. Gimme a moment and I'll check.
>>
File: commit sudoku.jpg (84KB, 394x394px) Image search: [Google]
commit sudoku.jpg
84KB, 394x394px
>>4078065
You know what? YOU KNOW WHAT?

You were right and I was wrong. Sorry for ever doubting you.

I just REALLY enjoy being a pedantic faggot, you know?
>>
File: BcqE4AW.jpg (263KB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
BcqE4AW.jpg
263KB, 1512x2016px
>>4078109
Someone should have told the people that did the arcade cabinets back in the day. They all used the wrong palette.
>>
File: image.png (10KB, 512x224px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
10KB, 512x224px
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z5mvXZwDBo

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. Japan only.
>>
File: IMG_4127.png (179KB, 1200x969px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4127.png
179KB, 1200x969px
>>
>>4078509
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=txcEMPakkPg

Super Mario bros special by Hudson.

So, that's Smb, Vs Smb, Smb ANN, Smb special, Smb 2 (Japan) which have similar elements.
>>
>>4078501
That is purplish. Also, direct RGB isn't the same as composite.
>>
File: dadstopplease.jpg (419KB, 880x670px) Image search: [Google]
dadstopplease.jpg
419KB, 880x670px
>>4078514
>>
>>4074821
everything
>>
variance in playstyle:
-play the game as fast or as slow as you want/collect coins and 1ups or just run past everything
-multiple ways to beat stages/Bowsers
-play the game with or without powerups
-use warps or don't (8 vs 32 levels on 1st loop)

challenges:
-2nd loop which was sensibly done without adding dumb shit
-deathless/hitless run
-world record speedruns

secret shit-
-warps and secret areas in pipes
-hidden 1 ups
-getting all coins in X-3 levels to have access to hidden 1ups in next world, giving a primitive but well made version of a sidequest
-continue code, turtle stomps for 1ups
-glitches, some even found 30 years later

high replay value
>>
>>4074956
>Once you're in air you're helpless

This literally isn't the case. You have a pretty good deal of control on your mid-air trajectory in SMB.

You wanna talk helpless in the air? Fucking Donkey Kong.
>>
>>4074821
Great player movement.
Good level design.
Secrets
>>
>>4081910
Castlevania too
>>
>>4077942
And this was rather unique at the time. Look at Atari games. You press jump, you jumped a specific height every time.
>>
>>4077698

I will say this: I'm getting sick to death of the motherfucking flagpole.

Only SMB1 had the fucking flagpole. The sequels had eagle-mouths, cards/"panels", breaking the tape on the Giant Gate, a tower upper and lower entrances, and a doorway with a bell to ring.

Every single game in the New SMB and 3D Land/World series?

Fucking flagpole.
>>
>>4074821
>What made this game so fun?

Because the only comparable thing people had at the time was Pitfall on the Atari 2600. Compared to that, it had good physics, stomping, hidden routes, and SCROLLING.

It's like how everyone loved Sonic because it was super fast and as colorful as an arcade game. But in retrospect, it's a basic, shit game with no redeeming qualities (the music is catchy though).
>>
>>4081958
Most sidescrollers have a variation of this. Sonic the hedgehog had signs.
>>
>>4081962
Even sanic did creative shit with its signs. NSMB just has flagpoles.
>>
>>4081961
No, it's more like how your mother could only spit out so many kids, so she really had no choice but to raise you despite her misgivings.
>>
>>4081910
Or Atlantis No Nazo
>>
>>4081970

And have you noticed that in the newer NSMB games, where there's always some kind of floaty power-up, hitting the top of the flagpole is no longer any kind of challenge?

Having to make the jump in SMB1 (or SMB1.LL, where the physics are the same with Mario, but Luigi can easily overshoot the pole) is nice little level-ending challenge that makes sense in that game. And in NSMB on the DS, where there is no flying/gliding power-up, it kind of makes sense to bring the flagpole back that one time.

But all the other NSMB games have a raccoon tail or tanooki suit or squirrel suit or propeller hat or a fucking catsuit that automatically climbs the flagpole. Bloody pointless.
>>
>>4082558
>>4081970
>>4081958
Why is it such a big deal? Is this a meme I'm unaware of?
It's a really minor thing at the end of the level, who cares?
>>
>>4077581
Listen grandpa there are kids nowadays without internet and have to figure out shit to do themselves. I was one of them too. But think of this, there were people even older without video games. They had to be even more creative.
>>
mario has a really good vibe about it and each entry has it's own atmosphere. It is happy, but not too happy, weird enemies with simple designs, unique music.
>>
>>4074883
>without continues
Fuck you.
>>
>>4081958
SMB2 has flagpoles, retarded ameriturd.
>>
>>4078517
Was the PC88 even capable of running sidescrolling games or was Hudson Soft simply not able to put such code in because of time constraints?
>>
>>4086820
Considering how Commander Keen was revolutionary for scrolling platforming on home computers, and that was in 1990, I doubt Hudson was able to do it in 1986.
>>
>>4078523
>serial killer friend invites you to play video games
>>
>>4078501
Your mom was using the wrong pallete when she made you. That's why your name is Jamal instead of Steven.
>>
>>4088916
That's the abusive dad filter (violent drunk breakdown phase), you uncultured swine.
>>
>>4074821
finding the 1 up boxes
>>
>>4074868
Welcome to the world of retro games.
>>
>>4074821

imagine how mindblowing it was to go down the tunnel the first time you played and had no idea about what mario even is
>>
>>4078520
By "purplish" you mean blue.
>>
>>4081958
>Only SMB1 had the fucking flagpole.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>4092461
Isn't it true? Are you also counting SMB2/Lost Levels?
>>
>>4092465
No.
>>
>>4092465
No, I'd say it isn't true. Not by a long shot.
https://www.mariowiki.com/Goal_Pole
>>
>>4092468
Wee, they're all New Super Mario Bros games.
>>
>>4092471
Except for the ones that aren't.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (42KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
42KB, 640x360px
>>4092471
Only new super mario bros, you say.
>>
>>4092475
But those ain't retro or used at the end of levels so who cares.
>>
>>4092478
Just let him be. He's already been completely blown the fuck out. Let the healing begin. He's going to desperately try to move the goalposts a few more times, and then give up and move on.
>>
>>4092483
lol, rekd
>>
Always nice to come back to a thread and see the smoldering wreckage of some /v/ kiddo's asshole.
>>
File: Abusive Household Filter.png (191KB, 880x670px) Image search: [Google]
Abusive Household Filter.png
191KB, 880x670px
>>4089126
Please use the original image if you're going to hurl the "uncultured swine" insult
>>
>>4074956
>Once you're in the air you're helpless
fireballs or let go of A, and you can stomp enemies practically from below.
>>
SMB1 would have been much better if they done the jump physics the same as SMB2. 2 Has great controls.
>>
>>4077880
>>4077942
Jump height depends on both how long you press the button and the speed you earn. Almost every mainline Mario game has this, and this is more noticeable on World and 3.
>>
>>4074868
It doesn't even get remotely difficult until stage 8's.
>>
>>4074849
Even though it got even better with 3, there's something about the slippiness in 1 and jap 2 that I love.

It feels tighter and faster than 3 still.
>>
>>4074821
>muh childhood
>muh NINTENDO
>basically everyone played it
>>
>>4092651
You can't cast a shadow on a CRT, dumbas. It's emitting light itself.
>>
File: 1491258398812.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491258398812.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>4078501
Somebody also forgot to tell Miyamoto that it's purple.
>>
>>4088895
Og doom guys were able to port smb3 with 16px scrolling on a c64 that looked damn good.
>>
>>4074821
Mari0
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.