[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reminder that input lag is real

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 6

File: 1498142428991.png (535KB, 853x650px) Image search: [Google]
1498142428991.png
535KB, 853x650px
reminder that input lag is real
>>
>>4073947
Reminder that while it's real it's such a minor issue that anyone can easily adapt to it and only use it as an excuse for why they suck.
>>
>>4073968
Except for lightgun games.
>>
>>4073981
Ok that being a good exception but I don't even know how you'd get a setup where that becomes a problem without the gun just not working in general. Except for the Saturn port of House of the Dead there's actually a pretty horrendous lag that really screws with your aiming.
>>
>>4073984
>where that becomes a problem without the gun just not working in general

Exactly.
I inherited a HD Trinitron from my dad.
Unfortunately, since it's HD, it has just enough lag that lightgun games don't work.
>>
>>4073968
Input lag ruins fighting games combos
>>
>>4074008
Only if you're an autist who can't adapt.
>>
>>4073947
Reminder that games themselves may have input lag because they have to compute the response to your input while running the game logic, and because of this it may take multiple frames for a button press to register.
>>
>>4073981

And fighting games.
>>
>>4074013
Its not about adapting but ruining the fun, unless you like to feel your character is walking through a pool of mud 24/7 ...
While input lag autists are /v/ tier, its not a bad idea to buy the console for your favorite game, unless if its something that goes unaffected by the minimum lag like turn based games
>>
>>4074014
Reminder that input lag from multiple factors is additive.
>>
>>4073968
>100 ms is minor
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation/2
>>
>>4073947
Input lag is such a meme these days, I blame SFV for starting it. The human response time is 250 ms and a frame is 16.66 ms. A handful of frames will not even be noticed unless you're Neo.
>>
File: 1497859666572.jpg (54KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1497859666572.jpg
54KB, 550x550px
>>4074034
>even considering using a rpi for emulation
>>
File: 1415338661098.gif (131KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1415338661098.gif
131KB, 255x255px
>>4074043
>implying there's no difference between 250ms ping and 17ms ping
>>
>>4074057
That's not what I said at all.

3 frames of lag is about 50 ms, so the difference is 250 vs 200, not 250 vs 17.
>>
i beat many hard games playing on emulators, input lag is meme
>>
>>4074067
Same. The only time I had real input lag was when I hooked my SNES up to my LCD and there was a very visible 1 full second delay. But this was 10 years ago, I'm sure modern TVs are much better now.
>>
its fine if youre in this hobby to be a reddit shelf collecting faggot who loves his wife's son's retron 5 but imply it is an illusion mad up by the neck beard illuminati is wrong.
>>
>>4074048
>frog post
it's summer alright
>>
>>4074067
Of course you have. Many people have.
But that's because of save states.

>inb4 "I'm the one in a million that doesn't use save states"
>>
>>4073947
Controller lag, screen lag, sound lag is real.

Nothing beats the real system.
>>
>>4074098
Hi Mike
>>
>>4074102
literally who? Mike "Loco" Matei?
>>
>>4074103
He thinks it's impossible to use an emulator without cheating.
>>
>>4074101
>use optical output from my TV into dac into amp
>digital to analog to digital to analog then sound
>1sec audio delay when mega man shoot gun
>>
File: 1486427111731.png (443KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
1486427111731.png
443KB, 475x599px
>>4073968
>Lightgun games
>Fighting games
>Platformers with precise timing
>Rhythm games

But yeah, other than that it works perfectly fine, right? You god damned retard.
>>
>>4074103
Mike "Meiny Kampfta" Matei
>>
>>4073947
>reminder that input lag is real
Yes, and? Besides, what does your pic have to do with that?
>>
>>4074020
>>4074034
>>4074269
You're all just a bunch of shitters who would cry like a little bitch when I lick your ass at Super Turbo on an LCD with 250ms input "lag".
>>
literally the only thing that causes horrible input lag is bad upscalers in TVs. if you play 4:3 on your tv it will be fine there will still be delay but its negligible. People who say the Pi is laggy are memer idiots too stupid to actually work the thing. Its always idiots trying to justify their purchase assuming I don't own a real console too when I recommend a pi when I own more consoles than those tryhards
>>
>>4074097
What, are you fucking gay?
>>
File: Winniethepooh2011dvdrip.jpg (49KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Winniethepooh2011dvdrip.jpg
49KB, 720x400px
>>4074373
>lick your ass

I ain't about that life, bruv
>>
>>4073947
https://youtu.be/aZRce-xaiI4
>>
>>4073968
Reminder that the internet is full of retards
>>
>>4076053
>Original PAL NES (Composite) 50Hz
I'm not supposed to get triggered by this, right? It's a joke video, right?
>>
>>4074373
gonna eat our asses, huh?
>>
>that many downvotes
>this many mad shitters who lack a proper setup
>>
>>4073947
Try a pc/windows/linux emulator of any kind before you go full retard with a pi/android/ios emulator.
>>
>>4076281
Your daily reminder all CRT displays with real hardware have over a frame of delay.
>>
>>4073947
Everyone knows. The amount of games it actually effects can be minimal depending on your tastes.

For instance, I can't play Vagrant Story on my PS3 because of the input lag it introduces. It makes chaining borderline impossible.

But then, for stuff like Resident Evil 2, or RPG's, and even like Mega Man X4, playing on my PS3 is fine.

I prefer my PS2 and CRT, but I do occasionally use my PS3 and LCD depending on my mood.
>>
>>4076281
you kind of people, who can't play games less than 120 fps
>>
>>4076053
>European

Well there's the problem.
>>
>>4074105
James is the same way I think. I remember him saying that it was hard for him to play on a PC due to, quote "having to be hunched over and play with a keyboard". I like James, but his opinions on anything other than reviews are shit.
>>
>>4076294
Your daily reminder you're underage and retarded.
>>
>>4076629
His reasoning kind of made sense, since he equates PCs with work since he spends 8 hours doing video editing. He's just dumb for not realizing it's 2017 and you can plug a controller into the USB and play PC games on your couch.
>>
>>4074373
Probably yeah, but because you've practiced under those conditions. Everyone else is practicing at the standard
>>
>>4074008
>>4074013
It doesn't ruin combos, but it ruins reactions. Input lag can make it impossible to whiff punish.
>>
a proper way to do these tests is to have a high speed camera and hook up your controller pcb with a LED that will light up when the button signal gets sent

then you compare the frames when the light shows up to when the screen moves due to the button press
>>
>>4073947
input lag is a bad meme. anything under 100ms is barely perceptible and u will adjust almost immediately. very few games require no input lag

I have 1cc'd many arcade games on lcd through cheap chinese upscaler . you'll scrubbies
>>
>>4074063
But you implied that if its under human replex lag, its no diff.
Like what you just repeated that 200 or 250 will be the same

So 50 or 200 will de same also ?

Human reflex does matter, because its always ADDED , when the red frame appears that requires you to press space, you'll take reflex+videoinputlag to click it...
Or.. ping+reflex+video if its online
Btw some people in the thread seemed to referencing controller lag, traditionally "input lag " is used to refer to video input lag ( on earlier flatscreens ) that took 50-100ms more than a crt while both connected to vga to a pc

We need more specific terms
>>
>>4074016
And sex.
>>
Input lag hinders my performance in visual novels and Pokemon games.
>>
>>4076793
>very few games require no input lag

Zero input lag is impossible to achieve because it will always take some amount of time for the signal to reach the game and be processed, not to mention extra lag from the TV.
>>
>>4074008
that's the one thing it doesn't affect. Even for online fightan, rollback netcode is used because its better to have the game have latency then to have the lag be inconsistent, in respects to combos.

>>4073947
i always just assumed there was confusion about how modern tv have shit up scaling that introduce unnecessary lag. i may sound like a faggot for this anecdote, but even smash players play online dolphin just fine, but then lug around CRT's for tournaments
>>
>>4074067
Me too. Emulator on a fucking mini projector from china.
>>
>>4074105
Mike uses hardware emulators to play most his shit anyway. Dont retrons have save states?
>>
>>4077030
Mike's a notorious hypocrite. Emulation is fine when he does it, but everyone else who does is a save scumming save stating cheating piece of shit.
>>
Question.

Is there input lag on 3DS compared to playing on the NES? I mean I've played through the Zeldas on my Wii and I thought that was as good as it could get, but even then I know playing on a Wiimote there had to be some lag. But a 3DS is, well, there's nothing to transmit and retrieve. So it should be as good as the NES no?
>>
>>4076793
Now tell us how you can beat MK2 on Hard using sweeps only.
>>
>>4077123
it's easy if you can time the jumps. otherwise, good luck
>>
>>4076793
>6 frames of input lag are no big deal

do you work for capcom by any chance?
>>
>>4073968
considering i can hit inputs at half a frame its actually a huge deal. Only faggy casuals will say its not big deal. I swear the fags who say input lag isnt a big deal are the same fags who say super metroid controls "feel sluggish" cause they play on emulator.
>>
>>4074421

Playing in 4:3 doesn't reduce lag, faggot
>>
>>4074043
I hate this meme. There's no logic behind comparing human reaction time and input lag. It's total fallacy.
Do you even realize that in most games you observe the obstacles long before you have to do something to deal with them? There's no reaction time in the equation.
>>
File: fCOHFrY.png (313KB, 373x360px) Image search: [Google]
fCOHFrY.png
313KB, 373x360px
>>4076793
>you'll scrubbies
>>
>>4073968
OK kid. Go play Punch-out or Gimmick or mario 3 or a shmup and see how far you get.
>>
>>4073968
you're dumb if you think ~90ms of input lag is negligible. why are emulatorfags so fucking delusional that they think so much input lag is acceptable? try playing super ghouls n ghosts with above 50ms of input lag, then try playing it again on a crt with almost no input lag and TRY to tell me that its not noticeable. fucking idiot.
>>
>>4078538
Why is it a fallacy? Reaction time is a factor in how long it takes to respond to something. If the lag is longer than it takes the brain to recognize then it will be noticeable, but something like a 0.0001 ms could never be and would never be a factor.

In a platformer lag is not a big a deal as it is in fighting games where a 1 frame difference can mean life or death.
>>
>>4077020
>i may sound like a faggot for this anecdote, but even smash players play online dolphin just fine, but then lug around CRT's for tournaments
This is sort of different. The GameCube is a much more modern console than an SNES (for example), and Dolphin is a high-level emulator. As I understand it, Dolphin on a CRT monitor actually has LESS input lag than a real GameCube because it bypasses/streamlines parts of the GameCube's rendering process.
>>
>>4079737
>emu has less lag

Sounds like a good way to cheat.
>>
How bad is input lag for Wii Virtual Console games, played on a crt? I do have some older consoles but pretty much all of them need cables/power adapters etc. So i just use the wii
>>
>>4079708
Well, you are right, but what I wanted to say is that even in platformer 200ms lag is very noticeable and unplayable, but this isn't because of reaction time.
>>
>>4079904
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3HJkN6fvvJk

There's some input lag and I notice sound lag. Nes games are darker.

It's the filter plus the roms are edited to not have much flashing. And even typos or grammar mistakes fixed for certain games.
>>
>>4080023
Wii U is considered much worse for Virtual console because it outputs only in HD
>>
>>4077087
Yes there's a few frames at least but it might not bother you depending on your tastes. The NES games are also stretched from 224 to 240. The megaman collection has a bit better emulator and isn't scaled, slightly better, but it's still there. The audio lags behind even harder.
>there's nothing to transmit and retrieve
Do you think the screen works by magic pixies or something?

Wii VC like you mentioned is much better than 3DS, but there's still some emulator lag. Not enough to bother anyone really but boot up SMB1 side by side with a real NES and you will notice it.
>>
>>4077087
There's always decent amount of input lag on an emulator.
https://byuu.org/articles/latency/
>>
>>4080146
Byuu should really stop talking about shit he knows nothing about and go back to dumping obscure PAL region carts.
>>
>>4074448
you must be 18+ to use this board
>>
>>4079994
Okay, I get you. I agree. I'm just coming fresh off Tekken 7 so my mind is geared toward how lag would affect it.
>>
>>4080095
Even in SMB1? That's quite laggy game by design.
>>
>>4080652
I'm not sure what you mean by "laggy by design" unless you're just used to it from playing on emulators. It's not laggy on an NES.
>>
>>4080657
Mario accelerates slowly and has inertia. Compare with Megaman.
>>
>>4080657
I actually did do a side by side of an NES on my trinitron and on my CRT monitor. Maybe I'm just not a super mega gaymer like you guys but I don't notice any difference. This is using an original NES with no mods done to it and NEStopia outputting 240p to a CRT monitor, the game used was the first mario bros.
>>
>>4079708
Yeah, that's not how it works kid. You don't magically increase your reaction time to compensate for lag. You react slow, then lag happens. And no one is talking about your 0.0001 ms straw man. Were talking about dozen of ms due to emulation, shitty displays, etc.
>>
>>4079850
Not really. You can't play Melee online on a real console anyway, so everyone is using Dolphin. Doesn't matter for speedruns either, since emulators are simply banned altogether.
>>
>>4074043

You don't have to be Neo to notice a few frames difference. If you play high execution characters in a tourneyfag setting, your strategy requires you to react to stuff to defend against it, or you're playing a game that requires you to do tight movement execution within a short time frame you'll notice it immediately.

That said, input lag isn't as important for single player games unless you want to go full Tetris/precision racer/speedrun.
>>
>>4080759
If it doesn't bother you, consider yourself lucky. But try doing it after having some gamer fuel (like red bull, fritos chili cheese, or adhd medication) and it'll never be the same.

if I can't jump off the pipe on the last frame possible without falling, it's shit.
>>
>>4081304
>gamer fuel (like red bull, fritos chili cheese, or adhd medication)

>>>/v/
>>
>>4081304
>gamer fuel
I'm on percocet and milk steak (with a side of raw jelly beans of course)

adhd is a made up disease ya know
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.