[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This wasn't THAT bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: 640.jpg (34KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
34KB, 640x360px
This wasn't THAT bad
>>
ljn defender was never right
>>
Yes it was.
>>
I don't remember this part of Punch-Out, what's this guy's gimmick?
>>
File: Maximum_Carnage.jpg (42KB, 250x386px) Image search: [Google]
Maximum_Carnage.jpg
42KB, 250x386px
>>4070663

WRONG!
>>4070926

Just because you're too retarded to read the manual or have common sense or learn to play like someone who's not retarded doesn't make the game bad
>>
File: Friday_Megami_Tensei_II.gif (1KB, 224x104px) Image search: [Google]
Friday_Megami_Tensei_II.gif
1KB, 224x104px
>>4070571
i can't believe the guys who went on to make the megaten games did this shit
>>
>>4070571
It's bad however I don't think it deserves a lot of the hate it gets because it at least tried some really neat ideas which I'll always appreciate more than if it were just a really shitty bland beltscroller.
>>
>>4070936
It was a co-production with Westone, so the Wonder Boy guys were part of it as well.

I'd chalk it up to rushed dev time and poor communication. The basic ideas are good, but the implementation is trash and, more than anything, the game is just really repetitive and annoying.
>>
I agree. Still trying to beat it today
>>
>>4070936
what am I looking at? Did they screw up a SMT game by giving Jason a chainsaw?
>>
>>4071030
not-jason has a cameo in megami tensei 2 for the famicom
>>
>>4070571
Wew this game

I remember it was only $10 brand new during a Christmas game sale sometime in 1989 or 1990. Not only did I get it for Christmas, many of my friends did as well.

None of us could figure out what the fuck we were supposed to do. I was around 7 years old at this time and just couldn't understand what the damn game wanted me to do. We tried the instruction manual and guides but it was just such a shitty game.
>>
It tried some interesting things, but the execution wasn't very good.
>>
It could have been fixed by balancing the counselors a lot better.
As it stood only 2 were worth a shit.

Also the sense of direction could have been much improved by having a minimap showing the direction you were traveling or keep the direction relative to the screen, rather than the player perspective.

It was shit. But with a little extra effort it could have been just 'bad'.
>>
>>4070571
Fighting him indoors was easy mode. He always telegraphs his hits so you can have a 100% dodge on him. I've taken him down with rocks and never gotten touched.
>>
>>4070571
i always liked this game
>>
i like how it seems like they took some inspiration from this game's music when you play as purple jason in the new one

this game had genuinely creepy music
>>
>>4070571
For those still trying to kill Jason...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVNfQDXnPo
>>
>>4071052

>Text in-game tells you what you should be doing
>Still confused.

You must live a very difficult life, Anon.
>>
I always liked the graphics for the different time changes and that it was a gradual change unlike Simon's Quest.
>>
>>4071052
Same here, I just explored until Jason inevitably killed me.
>>
File: splatterhouse1-arcade[1].jpg (249KB, 1203x850px) Image search: [Google]
splatterhouse1-arcade[1].jpg
249KB, 1203x850px
>>4070571
Best "Friday the 13th" game coming through.
>>
amazing music, especially during the intro
>>
>>4070663
btw is this a subtle advertisement thred
>>
>>4073939
why is Ash's arm a giant shit?
>>
Why the fuck did I have a dream where I interviewed the developers of this game last night
>>
>>4071052
This game and Hylide were the first NES games to drop to 15 bucks. Pretty much Every one got both for X-mas that year.

Friday is an ok game. It just has a few bad flaws.
>>
>>4070571
Yes it was.
>>
>>4073939
that game kicks ass
>>
>>4073939
Good taste, this thread reminded me of SH. What are your thoughts on Wanpaku Graffiti?
>>
Just because James Rolfe is a scrub, doesn't mean the game isn't trash. Even by the standards of 1989 it's not good.
>>
>>4075170

Yeah, but the game is far better and far less broken than what everyone made it out to be. From what other say, it seems as though they spout the same thing that James Rolfe has said almost verbatim. The game obviously has its flaws. Nobody denies that. But considering that the game is not as cryptic, doesn't cripple you, and is overall beatable without the use of a FAQ shows that the game is very much playable.

The main flaws that I notice are the map system and how it can disorientate the player, the unbalanced characters, the RNG item drops, and the rowing mechanic. The rowing mechanic is particularly glaring because Jason can plow straight to you even when he's attacking the children in the cabins at the same time, and there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>4075301
I mean, yeah some of the stuff in the game are weird but when I was a kid playing it, I just sucked it up because I had rented it for the weekend and had nothing else to play. F13 isn't any more obtuse than Goonies or Dr. Chaos or any number of other games with poorly explained mechanics.

It's weird, all the supposedly difficult NES games never bothered me as a kid, I just powered through it without really thinking about how hard it was or how much I sucked.
>>
James is hyperbolic..i hope people understand that.

Anyway, he did point out some of its major flaws, stone throwing arch, the map/walking orientation, the rowing.

And its not that hard. Some trial and error playthroughs and you pretty much have it sewn up, its actually a rather short game.

The jump scares are repetitive but they kind of nailed it on them, exploring houses is generally creepy, and the tone of racing against time creates a good amount of tension.
>>
>>4070571
It was, fuck you. I got that piece of shit for $1.95 in 1997. I feel I paid too much.
>>
>>4075305
>The jump scares are repetitive but they kind of nailed it on them, exploring houses is generally creepy, and the tone of racing against time creates a good amount of tension.

I would have liked to have seen the player be able to run away when Jason pops up outside, and hide to a cabin. Also have Jason randomly move from one random cabin to the next looking for you instead of just picking on the kids and the other counselors exclusively.

Think of it like how the X parasite was hunting Samus in Metroid fusion. That would have been far better for tension since you're actively being hunted instead of basically playing a babysitter.

>>4075305
Well yeah, you were a kid then. You had limited access to games so you had to make each game count and get the best out of all of them. You couldn't afford to take them for granted like kids these days do since games are far more plentiful and far more accessible.

The reason you didn't see those flaws then was because a lot of games had them, but the thing is you didn't have your expectations raised as much as people do now so they weren't as apparent.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.