/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> He reads EGM over GamePro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: 6677.jpg (76KB, 681x456px) Image search: [Google]
6677.jpg
76KB, 681x456px
> He reads EGM over GamePro
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 200x150px
>>4069671
>he reads gamepro over next generation
>>
>>4069671
Uk reader here. Never read EGM, but I bought a few copies of Game Pro in John Menzies in the 90s.

Awful magazine. The small size seemed like a cost cutting exercise, the layout was ugly (full graphic zoom in backgrounds etc) but the reviews were the worst thing about it. They were so brief, around 200 words or less and really offered nothing.

Compare that to a magazine from Future publishing in the UK, such as Super Play, and it seems like the US audience was being insulted
>>
I don't read
>>
File: cormano.jpg (21KB, 350x273px) Image search: [Google]
cormano.jpg
21KB, 350x273px
>>4069671
> Lee Hobby Consolas en vez de Superjuegos
>>
File: Gamers_Republic_Sept_1999.jpg (665KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Gamers_Republic_Sept_1999.jpg
665KB, 2592x1944px
Kept most of my old magazines, they are a fun read whenever I break them out of the box I stored them in. If I ever get a coffee table, I should feature a couple every now and then.

I subscribed to EGM. I even remembered picking up what was apparently the first issue when it came out, in a Kohl's. While they mostly stole from Famitsu's layouts and made up some stuff, I thought it was a good magazine.

GameFan really matched my tastes with the focus on Japanese imports. (I even subscribed to the short lived Super Gaming from the publishers of EGM, because they promised to focus on imports on that one). GameFan's layouts were great and colorful.

Gamer's Republic had the nicest layouts and I was glad to have subscribed. Just picked up where Gamefan left off.

Newtype Gaming was a wonderful indie magazine, I wish I could have gotten more than the two issues I have.

Japanese stores around here would have Famitsu and the Nekky the fox covers were very nice looking. Lots of pages of great videogame info. I think it had the largest breadth of game coverage in its days (but later devolved into Japan first praise as Playstation came around).

PC Gamer featured its demo discs, but was a very classy magazine. Great since I also liked the computer side as well as consoles.

Video Games & Computer Entertainment, needed better screen captures, but was well written.

People I knew wrote and worked on a magazine called GameGo, which only published 1 issue, and the 2nd on pdf. It was really great, but best described by a Electronics Boutique/GameStop employee as "too hardcore for its own good."

Game On tried a Japanese style of game magazine with translated game-related manga by Viz. I actually thought it kept in line with their Animerica magazines.

All of those I preferred to the garbage tier that was GamePro in US. Which had ugly layouts, awful artists, had no pulse of what video game fans liked (aside from Street Fighter 2, which was their best contribution).
>>
>>4069671

EGM was the superior mag to Gamepro, without question.
>>
File: 539901b2afd64_328872b.jpg (415KB, 1383x1459px) Image search: [Google]
539901b2afd64_328872b.jpg
415KB, 1383x1459px
>>4069671
>not reading this
>>
>>4069671
>GamePro

More like DudeBro
>>
File: sanic1464188997240.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sanic1464188997240.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>4069671
Well at least we know what kinds of people read Gamepro now...
>>
>>4069671

GamePro was for young kids. EGM blew it out of the water.
>>
>reading any of these rags over EDGE.
>>
Next Gen was the only US mag that didn't condescend to its readers and flat out make up stuff. The writing was actually halfway decent.
>>
>>4070760
>it's the sanic.gif autist again

Let me guess, you were a Nintendo Power fanboy?
>>
Gamepro sucked so hard. The mags to read were egm + diehard gamefan.
>>
File: DADJheDXkAQj_Pp.jpg large.jpg (164KB, 698x909px) Image search: [Google]
DADJheDXkAQj_Pp.jpg large.jpg
164KB, 698x909px
>>4069671
>>
Has there been an attempt at cataloguing and scanning these old mags for prosterity's sake?

They could be very useful in Wikipedia references as well.
>>
>>4069671
>he doesn't read PC Gamer (US) or PC Gamer (UK)
>>
>>4071306
archive.org has the most widest collection of old mags, but it's spotty and generally without a lot of housekeeping. The CV+G collection is surprisingly together tho.
>>
>>4069674
>he didn't quit reading it when Gameplayers turned into NextGeneration and lost all of their humor and doesn't remember that doing that cost them all of their readers to the point the magazine up and died a few years later

RIP Gameplayers. You were the best next to old school Nintendopower.
>>
>not reading Hardcore Game Fan for the pages of screenshots and weeaboo coverage
>>
>>4071316
Retromags and Retrocdn

>>4071375
Game Players and Next Generation were different mags. You're thinking of Ultra Game Players, which was the relaunched version of Game Players from 1997.
>>
>>4069676
Mortal Kombat SNES preview: "You can bang with Kang, or you can just hang. Either way you're a dead man."
>>
>>4070802
That magazine delivered on what it promised. I want to read PDFs of them right now where are they
>>
>>4070802
No that's the one magazine that was even worse than gamepro.
>>
GamePro was dudebro crap before dudebros were a thing. It was for dudebros and for dumb kids.
EGM was pretty good in the later 90's, until in 2000's they had a new layout all in red like if a homage to Virtual Boy, everyone started to sound like a dick and the magazine went to shit.

Latino magazines were all atrocious. The Brazilian ones made me vomit all my monkey soup. Just mechanically translated stolen content from (mostly) american magazines and GameFaqs. They released fucking BOOKS with Gamefaqs content.
>>
it's fucking embarrassing how many people got baited by this
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.