[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FF3

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 9

File: Capture.png (10KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
10KB, 226x223px
Why do barely any people play it. Literally the most forgotten final fantasy. It's pretty sad too, because it's a very enjoyable game.
>>
"Hey I want to marathon the Final Fantasy series starting with the NES games."
>FF1: Wow this game sucks but because it's historically one of the first JRPGs, I gotta put up with it being terrible
>FF2: Jesus christ this is garbage fuck it
>>
File: FF3 Twin Famicom.jpg (403KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FF3 Twin Famicom.jpg
403KB, 1920x1080px
I played through it earlier this year and had a blast. Definitely my favorite of the first three FFs. FF1 is enjoyable but simple. FF2 feels like it was engineered to leave you dissatisfied at all times.
>>
>>4069379
Sakaguchi himself was streaming it not too long ago on niconico. He did a whole playthrough, he seemed to really love the game.
>>
Because remake is so much better. And that applies to all Famicom FF games.
>>
>>4069379
There are a lot of remakes for any FF, except 3. I think many people played i - ii because of the gba remakes.
>>
>>4069405
DS III is less fun than Famicom III.
Dunno for other remakes.
>>
>>4069405
The DS version? It's a totally different game -- way different, barely even comparable.
>>
>FF: NES, Playstation, GBA, PSP, iOS, Android, virtual console
>FFII: Playstation, GBA, PSP iOS, Android, virtual console
>FFIV: SNES, Playstation, PSP, GBA, DS, iOS, Android, Windows, virtual console
>FFV: Playstation, GBA, iOS, Android, Windows, virtual console
>FFVI: SNES, Playstation, GBA, iOS, Android, Windows, virtual console
>FFVII: Playstation, iOS, Windows
>FFVIII: Playstation, Windows
>FFIX: Playstation, iOS, Android, Windows

>FFIII: 3D DS port that's pratically an entirely different game from the original or NES emulator, FFIII rom, translation patch, and whatever addition shit you need to get it playing on your computer

Gee, I wonder why?
>>
>>4069421
What makes you say that? The only thing I dislike is how they translated the sprite proportions to the 3D models. It looks extremely ugly.
>>
Everything 3 did well, 5 did much better.
>>
>>4069439
The DS version discourages jobchanging since they made the job levels matter and added a weak period after changing jobs.
>>
>>4069439
They cut down the enemy count in the DS version
>>
>>4069379
It's a kusoge
>>
>>4069463
And increased their strength.
>>
>>4069445
I agree on everything but music. I really love 5's soundtrack, but 3 got tons of god-tier tunes.
>>
>>4069379
Maybe because normies didnt really get to play it beyond the 2006 remake, alongside there still being some normies who think of FF6 when they see or hear the name FF3.
>>
Because it didn't get a WSC version.
>>
>>4069379
The job system stinks. Rather than freely developing your party throughout the game like you do in later Final Fantasy games you just switch jobs to adapt to some gimmick. Mages in the mini dungeon, Dragoons against Garuda, Ninja and Sages near the end.
>>
>>4069379
Good game, dick move though that they introduce locked door and splitting enemy mechanics before you are equipped to deal with them.
>>
>>4069405
The remake fixes some gameplay issues, but good lord is the remade soundtrack terrible.
>>
>>4069383
Underages not allowed gtfo millenial
>>
>>4069379
Because while there's lots of mechanical improvements over 1 it's not really a better game than it. Being stretched out much, much longer than FF1 and having TONS of stupid gimmicks that need you to job change to counter them or suffer hurt it. It's still a decent game, though.
>>
>>4069379
Most people probably go for the DS version. I know I did it, the remake is pretty enjoyable.
>>
>>4069379
I played it translated many years ago and really enjoyed it. To me it feels like the first true definitive ff game because it has so many firsts which later became iconic mainstays of the series.
>>
>>4069679
Underage is now mutually exclusive with millennial.
>>
>>4069624
PSP 3 is best due to having the NES ost option.
>>
>>4069379
this is one of my top favorite final fantasies. only problem i have with it are a few areas of the game that force you to change your party to progress. like the dungeons that force you to be mini. or that evil king boss that tries to kill the prince. that fight is ridiculous if your whole party arn't dragoons. but its a early RPG so those problems are bound to be there. still a solid game. atleast it got a sweet remake.
>>
>>4069962
Does it really? Nice, I'll have to check it out.
>>
>>4070025
It also has a faster speed setting not in the standard DS remake, making the slow battle complaints much better, too.
>>
>>4069379
It's one of my favorites, but it doesn't appeal to casuals. For them it's too much effort to get the points necessary to switch the jobs around, they complain about the "mini" dungeons like they're happening every 5 minutes, and of course the endless bitching about how the final dungeon is "too long".

Idgaf, FF3 is amazing and it's very sad we never got the original in the US, only the DS remake, which even in itself is not bad and I enjoyed it too, but it messed up the balance and doesn't have the charm as the NES sprites do.
>>
It's actually my least favorite of the class-customizable FF trilogy (1, 3, 5). Too many glitches.
>>
>>4070445
>implying FF1 is better and less glitchy than 3
>>
>>4069383
Did the same exact thing with Dragon Quest.
Played through DQ 1 and it was a slog but cool to see how the series started.
Got half-way through DQ 2 and got bored even though it's a lot better than DQ 1.
Gonna finish it up eventually so I can get to 3.

I know it's dumb play these in order but idk I like Dragon Quest a lot and I want to see how it developed.
>>
>>4070451
Does FF1 have anything on the same level as FF3's item upgrade exploit?
>>
>>4069950
Burn
>>
>>4070507
As opposed to several spells flat out not working. I'll take an out-of-the-way glitch over core game features being totally broken.
>>
it's probably because it's the least supported of the nes games
I and II had a bunch of newer versions through the years, and III had to wait until the ds before it got it's remake.
it was going to get a game on the wonderswan, but at that point it was on it's deathbed, so square quietly canned it.
>>
All FF games up to 6 are the best ones
>>
>>4070501

I hope you're at least playing the GBC or SNES version. NES is really rough.
>>
It got ignored for some reason, I and II had shiny PS1 and GBA versions while all 3 has a DS remake that is basically an entirely new game.
>>
>>4071206
do you have any idea what web site you're on, Anon-kun?
>>
File: 1487463410568.jpg (281KB, 1631x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1487463410568.jpg
281KB, 1631x1080px
>>4071206
Welcome to /vr/.
>>
>>4069518
That's the whole appeal of the job system, instantly switching the role a character plays. Later games totally missed the point when it became possible to make 'builds'.

FF3 job system is best job system. Famicom onry.
>>
>>4071705
>That's the whole appeal of the job system, instantly switching the role a character plays.
FF5 also does that, like when you momentarily struggle against Archeoaevis because of his changing weaknesses with your mage party - so you turn them into physical attackers. But what it also does is using the Ability system to alter jobs to make up for their shortcomings, like giving Berserkers a weapon with more accuracy or dual wielding skills. A Beastmaster may seem subpar, but his catching ability is actually terrific and it's worth the time to level him and possibly give it to other jobs.

Every job is usable in that game thanks to that, in FF3 the majority of your jobs are pointless from the beginning or become irrelevant later. It's rather dull to play as a result.
>>
There's like three translation patches for 3. Which one is the best?
>>
>>4071536
Hina best girl
>>
File: untitled.png (103KB, 1360x623px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
103KB, 1360x623px
>>4069430
>>FFIII: 3D DS port that's pratically an entirely different game from the original or NES emulator, FFIII rom, translation patch, and whatever addition shit you need to get it playing on your computer
1) Download an emulator.
2) "final fantasy 3 translated" on Google, first link.
3) Play.

Hell, you don't even need an emulator if you don't want to use one, you can play it directly on fucking Emuparadise if you want to.
https://play.emuparadise.me/playonline/NES/Final_Fantasy_III_%28Japan%29_%5BEn_by_A.W.Jackson+Neill_Corlett+SoM2Freak_v1.1%5D/sound/55494
>>
>>4074139
I'm
>>4073803
Isn't that one the oldest? How is it vs the two newer patches on RHDN for 3NES?
>>
File: 2gn0YgM[1].png (3KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
2gn0YgM[1].png
3KB, 256x224px
>>4073803
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22231.0
>>
>>4074213
That's the newest one based off of the DS script, right? Are there any major problems with it?
>>
>>4074230
>It just takes a reaaaaly long time for monsters to multiply, during which the game glitches and looks like it's crashing. If you let it go for a few minutes, the monster will correctly multiply/summon another monster.
>>
>>4074447
I meant more so script-wise/compatibility-wise. I haven't played the DS version, I don't know how it reads or anything. The only version of 3 I played was that weird one that doesn't work on most emulators and has B-Button dashing which I think is the middle one between the other two?
>>
>>4074230
Yes. The Chaos Rush one is the best translation.
>>
I think ff3 was the hardest ff game too.

>Game made you fight the last 6-7 bosses without saving past the initial point of no return

I can't think of another FF game that was THAT unforgiving at the end. Also the monsters dividing unless you were using dark swords was a total nightmare for random battles too.
>>
>>4074884
I can't speak to the DS version because it's been 10 years since I played it but the Famicom just had the last boss past the point of no return.

You just have to backtrack out of the dungeon and save which is just a pain more than anything. It does throw you a bone by having a healing pool in the depths.

Plus all but the second to last boss is optional although the items and other goodies they give make them worth beating and they aren't hard.

The dividing monsters are only a little frustrating before the Magic Knight job becomes available, which is one dungeon, and then they're no even an issue as they're confined to only that dungeon and the one in the Magic Knight town. A team of Magic Knights duel wielding Ashuras can tear through them
>>
>>4071131
Dear god the Road to Rhone in the NES version is perhaps the biggest fucking slogfest. Was Horii that fucking sadistic back then?
>>
>>4070507
Half of the spells in 1 don't work at all. The magic stat for mages doesn't affect their spells when it should. Those things totally break the game.
>>
>>4069379
I have played it a few years back~
The translated version of the NES version. It was pretty epic, and a classic, for sure.
>>
>>4075026
>The magic stat for mages doesn't affect their spells when it should.
FF1 is Not-AD&D. That's probably intentional.
>>
What are good classes in the NES one? I'm used to the PSP which I kept a warrior the whole game, but I know the original doesn't let you do stuff like that. Any classes completely worthless?
>>
>>4076260
Monk>Fighter>BLM>Thief>WHM>RDM
>>
so what was the story about?
>>
>>4075303
Nope, several stats and spells are completely useless because of horrible programming
>>
>>4074952
I'm almost certain you can't back out once you get to the dark world, which means you have to tackle echnida, two headed dragon, ahriman, the other boss I don't recall, and the final boss all without being able to return to heal and restock. So if you get there and save while being too low level or have enough items to survive, you are shit out of luck and need to reload
>>
>>4076305
I'll take buggy stats/spells over a glitch that scrubs can use to cheese the game.
>>
>>4076305
D&D is full of bullshit rules due to poor writing. Clay golems cause wounds that cannot be healed with magic because people misunderstood a note that clay golems can't be healed with magic.
>>
>>4076305
There is no evidence in the game's code that INT was ever intended to do anything. It's an oversight, not a bug, and it has no real impact on the game.

There are four or five non-functional spells, though, and the thief class is useless due to the run command bug.
>>
>>4070501
NES DQ1 is ... kinda bad. It's mostly a techdemo by Enix to prove a console RPG is doable. I recommend pushing through, DQ3 is really great.
>>
>>4069404
Is there an uploading of this anywhere? I would love to see this.
>>
>>4076573
>It's mostly a techdemo by Enix to prove a console RPG is doable.
jesus fucking Christ kill yourself
>>
>>4076609
It was a live stream on niconico a few months ago, so no.
>>
>>4076301
4 onions fall into a hole and a shiny rock makes them magic onions so they can go do battle with a sexy green cloud. You should play it. On NES.
>>
>>4076308
>I'm almost certain you can't back out once you get to the dark world,
That's correct, but by this time you're effortlessly tearing shit up with a Ninja Sage party and the enterance to the Dark World is only a few steps away from the exit to the world map where you can rest & save. It's really not that unforgiving at all.
>So if you get there and save
You can't though. You can only save the world map, so it's impossible to get stuck in there.
>>
>>4069379
>Why do barely any people play it.
The fact that it didn't get any official release outside Japan until 2006, and has the least number of remakes of any pre-VII FF are probably the biggest reasons.
>>
>>4076727
Are you saying to me it isn't?
>No party
>Extremely basic combat
>No choices in the narrative of any kind
>Barely any story
>Gameplay is LITERALLY just grinding
>No classes
>RPG system is so basic that there's no place to make builds
>No skill or equipment choices because everything is a straight upgrade from another
It's REALLY basic compared to games at the time. Complexity-wise, it's closer to early mainframe RPGs from 1970s like moria, pedit and dnd. Compared to 80's contemporaries like Ultima IV which had a conversation system and a morality gauge, Dragon Quest was positively causal. I'm not saying this applies to later games in the series -not at all, they're great - but fuck, entire first game is just a goddamn grindfest. If you want to play it, put on a podcast in the background to listen to.
>>
>>4076963
saying it's a "tech demo" is pants on head retarded desu

yeah, it's basic, it's the first console JRPG, retard-kun.
>>
>>4069430
This is literally the answer. Why this thread is still going with 70+ replies I'll never know.
>>
>>4069430
>>4078094
If you're going that route to include ports of remakes, though, then you should at least add

FFIII: DS, PSP, iOS, Android, Windows, or NES with translation patch.
>>
>>4077040
He obviously wasn't being literal you mong.
>>
I like FF3 quite a lot but its main appeal is its job system, which is put to shame by FF5. It's a great game but it doesn't have that much recognition since its only release in the west was a DS port which got a middling score. I believe the Japanese are more fond of it since I saw Matsuno mentioning it, although he could just be talking about XIV's references.
>>
>>4078237
(You)
>>
>>4069383
>I should play the rest of the final fantasy games before i play WoFF
>FF1: I dig it. Make the party and take on the world. Where the fuck do I go?
Haven't played FF2 yet, though.
>>
>>4078539
Are you playing the original or one of the remakes? In all the remakes for the first half of the game you can go talk to the dancer in the middle of Corneria town and she'll tell you where you're supposed to go next. I think she stops giving advice after you get the airship though.
>>
>>4078546
I'm playing Origins. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
>>
>>4076963
>If you want to play it, put on a podcast in the background to listen to.
That's what I did towards the end and it was pretty fun grinding those last few levels.
>>
>>4069430
Imagine if they'd finished the wonderswan version.
>>
>>4078812
>mash A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
Sure is fun.
>>
>>4078815
Don't forget moving around waiting for a new encounter and healing sometimes.
>>
>>4078815
>A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A A
that's what your mum said when i button mashed her clit, faggot
>>
>>4069379
I've tried to play the not retro DS remake a million times but I get like one dungeon in and it's so slow and boring I can't force myself to keep going. Is the Famicom version better in that regard?
>>
>>4079000
Yes, the battles in the DS version are super slow. I can't deal with it either.
>>
>>4078837
REKD
>>
>>4079000

The PSP version includes auto-battle so if you're going to go for any 3D version of FF3, go with that. The NES version is faster overall though.
>>
>>4079398
This, Deschannel Famicom-senpai.
>>
>>4076260
>Totally situational but actually required if you want to beat some bosses without tearing hair out
Dragoon, Scholar

>Useless for everything but level stats bonuses
Viking gives best Vit

>Actually useless
Bard and Evoker

>Useless and a completely liability that will get you killed
Geomancer
>>
>>4079478
>Scholar
I can't remember specifically needing this though I did use it some. I guess that weakness-changing boss? I think maybe you can just melee him? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

>Bard, Geomancer
I kept trying to find some place these would be useful but failed

>Evoker
This was relatively OK
>>
>>4078837
Holy shit, FFbabbies destroyed
>>
>>4069491
Which completely fucks the balance because you're doing the same amount of damage on stronger enemies that take longer to kill and still do the same amount of damage the entire battle.
>>
>>4078813
For what actual reason did they release 4 first? Or was 5 just cancelled already?
>>
>>4079785
>Or was 5 just cancelled already?
fuck, meant 3

committing sudoku
>>
File: Dragon_Quest-password.png (3KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Quest-password.png
3KB, 256x240px
>>4076573
>NES DQ1 is ... kinda bad
Try Famicom DQ1. Made before battery backups were a thing, so you were forced to use passwords to save, and the sprites were always facing forward, so every time you wanted to talk to an NPC you had to pick a cardinal direction in a menu.
>>
>>4079815
>you had to pick a cardinal direction in a menu.
That's wrong. You get a prompt where you select with the +-key.
>>
>>4074447

Someone just released a fix for the multiply bug:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22231.msg339187#msg339187
>>
>>4079827
Which is picking a direction in a menu.
>>
>>4079916
A menu would be a list with にし, きた, ひがし, みなみ.
>>
>>4079939
We're arguing semantics. It's an extra step that doesn't need to be there because it was essentially a proof of concept for JRPGs on consoles, since computers didn't need to have you facing in a specific direction due to mouse input.
>>
>>4079948
What kind of computer RPG had mouse input before 1986? Most computers didn't even have a mouse back then.
DQ closely resembles Ultima, it just uses a menu for commands in place of keyboard shortcuts.
>>
>>4079912
Neat. It hasn't really been tested yet, but if everything works as intended, it'll be nice having a patch that works on real hardware/most emulators.
>>
>>4069379
I just got my copy in the other day. I'm going to start soon. I hear III is a lot better than II.
>>
>>4075010

His reference for RPGs was Wizardry so I'd say for the time he was a surprisingly kind designer.
>>
>>4069379
I played it on DS, it was okay, nothing remarkable. Fuck that final dungeon
>>
>>4079912
Can't you just choose to NOT perform the bug?
>>
>>4080250
Don't multiplaying enemies multiply on their own? It's been a while since I played it.
>>
As someone who's never played FF3 before, only FF5, what should I know about the job system? I kn
>>
>>4069383
Play the PSP versions of 1 and 2 they are much more balanced and better they are easier sure but more fun
>>
>>4069445
i find 5 boring compared to 3 desu
>>
>>4079785
>>4079789

Apparently the source data was lost or some shit thus no port could be made by TOSE
>>
>>4080421
Jobs can't be "mastered", improving your skill in them just makes you do more damage, but ultimately the jobs you get early on will be made useless by the jobs you get later. There are certain parts of the game where you're all but forced to use a specific job to advance, and those jobs are largely useless outside those certain sections.

It's the most rudimentary job system in the entire FF series and if you go in expecting it to be anywhere near as good as V, or Tactics, or X-2, you're going to hate it.
>>
>>4069445
There are some things I like better in 3:
-The music
-The overall theme and atmosphere, this can be subjective, but 3 just feels more 'FF' compared to 5.
-Overworld design was a little better in 3. don't get me wrong, the concept of the two worlds combining in 5 was great, but I love that in 3, you start on a small simple over world to a bigger, more whimsical world, starting off small is a great idea imo.

Also, the job system is very different. I wouldn't call ff5's job system as a direct improvement over 3. In 5, jobs are tools that could be combined and customize. In 3 , they are keys to move the game forward. No doubt that the job system in 3 is more linear than 5. But linearity is not bad, just look at how many people love ff4.
>>
>>4069405
The remake is an entirely different game.
>>
The PAST is goat:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ulrKuQaSOrs
>>
>>4079912
And now the main guy behind it is doing a small grammar fix and testing with the fix for a new, final patch. Time to go through ff3 again soon, I guess.
>>
>>4069379
>"onion kid" WTF is that
>mail boxes (anytime i see mailboxes in a game i think i don't care, this seems like a chore and i don't even get what i'm supposed to do or why)
>characters look stupid (little fat kid looking things with feather knight helmets)
>early dungeon that takes everything away and makes you small and it's a pain in the ass

FF 3 seems super lame compared to the bad ass looking characters of 1 and 2 plus the story was cooler in 1 and 2
>>
>>4082674
>>mail boxes
Been a decade or so since I played this game but... no idea what you're on about here. Are there even mailboxes? I don't remember anything of the sort.
>>
>>4069403
>TwinFami

Mah nigga. I picked one up recently and it's a great piece of hardware.
>>
>>4081635
I like FF5's music better.
>>
File: zeus.webm (3MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
zeus.webm
3MB, 720x405px
>>4083540
He's probably talking about the remake where you had to do an optional side quest to unlock the onion class.
>>
>>4084073
Cool animation, what's the original?
>>
>>4081859
And first dungeon has the best cave music of FF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcP_R-MJd-E
>>
>>4084073

Disappointed that he did not fuck her as a bull.
>>
>>4080250
You don't have a choice. You are inevitably going to run into an enemy that multiplies.
>>
>>4076318
I think you worry far too much about how others play games.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.