[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about repros of games that never officially released?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: 20170619_150640.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170619_150640.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
How do you feel about repros of games that never officially released?
>>
A waste of money that only appeals to hipsters and the bandwagon kids. Anyone who just cares about playing will either emulate or throw it on a flashcart.
>>
>>4068716

Im generally fine with them until people start selling them as if they where the real thing. If you want to buy a repro and the guy selling it says it's a repro than whatever. Ive seen people try to pass this shit off as the real deal.
>>
>>4068732
/thread

Either import, emulate, or buy a flashcart. Why would you waste money to buy individual repos when you can just buy a single flashcart and have all of them?
>>
>>4068732
What flashcart can do FX? Since I'd have to be a "hipster" or "bandwagon kid" to play Starfox 2 on a real SNES via repo, I egerly await your reply.
>>
>>40687406
Wow, one example. Also you could just emulate it.
>>
>>4068716
Worth their price in parts and labor.
Never pay more than $20 for an SNES repro.
Parts are $13, labor is about 30 minutes of work.

Only really worthwhile for special chip games.
>>
I don't see the problem with it. Its a way to play stuff not released here in English on original hardware without having to fumble with flash cart loaders or menus. For me its like the closest I can get to the "what if" scenario that games like SD3 or FF5 were actually released here back in the day. Sort of like a fulfillment of a childhood wish.
>>
>>4068772
the repro boards are $15. have to buy an eeprom eraser, buy the eeproms, and then an expensive chip flasher. then you need shells and a high quality printer. parts and labor is around $30 to $60 depending how youre sourcing your parts or designing labels or if youre painting the shells yourself.

i made a single cart with secret of mana 1 + 2 on it. dont't see why anyone would have a problem with them. selling them gets into a grey area of stealing games and then stealing translations. i think the biggest problem is that, for the most part, translated games arent worth owning. rom hacks even less so.
>>
>>4068746
>will either emulate or throw it on a flashcart
Stick to the initial goalposts first.
>>
>>4068793
Fine.

> Buy a Starfox 2 repo for $30 in order to play on an existing SNES and CRT setup
vs
> Buy the equipment needed to emulate (computer, controller, screen hookups) which will likely not work on the CRT without extra hassle or expense, so also need to play in the room with the LCD and live with the lag and inconvenience.

Not a hard choice.
>>
>>4068821
>has computer to shitpost online
>I gotta buy a computer
You are trying really hard here. Are you planning on buying that Starfox 2 repro off ebay with the power of your mind? Unless you are doing some really weird shit like shopping online at your local library(which would be exceedingly stupid), then you already have a computer capable of emulating Starfox 2.

And if you want to try and complain about lag with Starfox 2, you've never played Starfox 2. It's not only so painfully easy on the hardest difficulty that lag would never be a problem, but the game only runs at 12-15FPS in the first fucking place, meaning you probably couldn't notice lag even if you tried. You would have known this if you were actually interested in playing the game and not being a "hipster" or "bandwagon kid".

If you wanna try again, please make a logical argument.
>>
>>4068716
>reproductions of things that were never produced
lel. But I think they're great Especially at the high prices they're selling for. The more worthless fake shit we can get bandwagoners to waste their money on the less money they'll have to drive up prices for real stuff.

>>4068785
Keep up the good work. The more inexperienced kids we have spending money on all that shit the less money they'll have to drive up prices for original carts.
>>
>>4068746
Its even worse.
To make an FX repo you destroy an actual FX cartage.
Only bad people destroy originals.
>>
File: 351-premium.jpg (33KB, 366x336px) Image search: [Google]
351-premium.jpg
33KB, 366x336px
>>4068891
Please tell me thats not true. There were only like 6 released so they cant be common enough to destroy so easily.

Repros from scratch are fine by me but cannibalizing a starfox to play a rebuild of a starfox 2 beta that may or may not be accurate to the original vision is clinically retarded.
>>
>>4068732
>just cares about playing
right. Maybe I will play it but care about more than just playing. Maybe I think the cart looks cool and I like having physical copies of the media I consume whether it's games or music or whatever.
>>
>>4068897
>Please tell me thats not true.
It is. Where do you think they get the FX co-processer? There are no FPGA setups that simulate the FX co-processor.

So they use an EEPROM programmer and burn in a new binary to the cartage, remove the label and put a new one on.

Anyone who does this to get a Starfox 2 or Yoshi's Island rom hack cart fucking sucks.
>>
>>4068897
>cannibalizing a starfox to play a rebuild of a starfox 2 beta that may or may not be accurate to the original vision is clinically retarded.
That can't be done since Star Fox used the original version of the FX chip, while later games like DOOM and Yoshi's Island used the second version, which was clocked at twice the speed. Guess which FX version Star Fox 2 was using during development?
>>
>>4068904
>what is Stunt Race FX
>>
>>4068734

This, it's fun to have a Bio Force Ape NES cart. Just don't try to sell it to people under false pretenses.
>>
>>4068910
Either way, A game is being cannibalized, and that shit's not good.

I mean, if you're fucking with your own cart to make something you're going to use yourself, then okay, whatever; but I don't think I can defend destroying a game to profit off it.
>>
>>4068926
They made millions of them. Who gives a shit?
>>
>>4068891
Why do underage have such a hard time accepting the concept of not destroying a cart to make a repro? I know you have shit skills and break anything you touch but why do you have to project that onto the rest of the world?

>>4068897
It' not true of intelligent adults but absolutely true of underage fagots that follow instructions on another underages blog.

>>4068904
Anyone who does that does indeed fucking suck.
First, they suck at obeying the laws of physics which don't allow you to "burn in a new binary" to a mask rom. However if it were possible to do what you say the cart wouldn't be cannibalized now would it? They could just "burn in the old binary" and make it good as new.
Second they suck at common sense. Why fuck around with removing a label when you can just put your label on a new blank shell.
But since no one actually does this and it's all in your imagination it's actually you and your imagination that suck. kek
>>
For the most part, most repros are a neat novelty at the base price of 4 to 9 dollars. I'm not one but it's easy for me to imagine collectors who would want them in their libraries and they probably make good little gifts for people you might be trying to get into the scene. At higher prices it starts getting more complex and Star Fox 2 is probably the prickliest pear in the whole debate. I'm glad I'm not really a Star Fox fan so I don't have to really pick a side. On one hand it does suck to cannibalize Super FX games, even Stunt Race but on the other hand it would be pretty neat to see a SNES push that many polygons.
>>
>>4069114
Where's the part where one of your thousands of exgirlfriends did something related to repo games?
>>
>>4069031
>But since no one actually does this and it's all in your imagination it's actually you and your imagination that suck. kek
I may have been wrong at the style of ROM chip (removes and solders a new written MASK ROM)
But I am not wrong otherwise.
Quit the holier then thou imjustpretendingtoberetarded.jpg attitude.

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=135828
>>
>>4069114

>4-9 dollars.

I don't know who buys this stuff at this kind of price, but this aussie is making mad bank.
http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/index.php?cPath=23
>>
I want to make a Starfox 2 cart out of a Stunt Race FX duplicate I have but I have no idea how to get or program an eprom. Im gonna keep researchin it tho.
>>
>>4069031
>But since no one actually does this and it's all in your imagination
all in imagination? are snes special chips being manufactures?
>>
>>4069135
>I was wrong but not totally
Why not just sign off all your posts with 1+1=2 so you can claim you weren't totally wrong. kek

>a new written MASK ROM
And you're wrong again ya stupid baby

>Quit the holier then thou
>Posts link to shit cart butchering instructions
Epic fucking kek. Not following shit instructions from some kid on the internet doesn't make me holier than you. But does indicate I'm a lot older and wiser.
>>
>>4068873
whats even the point of being this salty? the market is fucked beyond repair and if somebody wants a couple unique carts then he's already buying/bought normal carts at gouged prices off of ebay. its not like someone owns no snes carts and then decides to buy a repro...
>>
File: 20170529_115319.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170529_115319.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>4069138
I know right? Between the aliexpress listings disappearing and the increasing appearance of these things at insane prices somebody somewhere is definitely making a killing.

>>4069121
Repro games weren't really a thing back in the day. There was this one Chinese buffet that for some reason had a bunch of bootleg game boy games in a case by the register. I really should have bought them when they got real cheap around 05 but that really doesn't have anything to do with partying they didn't even have alcohol. The lady I went there the most with was my grandma. Now it's a mediocre hibachi restaurant that hipsters love but I hate.
>>
>>4069290
Repro games still aren't a thing. It's just a word used by poorfag bandwagon collectors to make themselves feel less insignificant for buying bootlegs.
>>
I remember a couple of years ago, there was this guy selling carts or romhacks for a hundred bucks.

He made booklets and boxes with it.
Except there was this romhack of Zelda ALLTP, in his booklet was the original booklet, meaning that there was still mention of items present in the original but taken out of the romhack, and no mention of new items from the romhack.

He didn't even played the thing. Just took whatever was the most famous romhacks.
>>
There was two good FX games. Who cares is some shit like a half assed Doom port is destroyed. You guys are the purists that give this genre a bad name.
>>
Depends, what speed would ntsc games run on a pal snes?
>>
>>4069505
Seconded, Doom SNES is crap anyways and murdering it for Starfox 2 is a good thing.
>>
>>4068716
Might as well. I don't care, but others do, so go ahead.
>>
>>4068716
I don't fucking know dude chrsit why do you always ask such inane shit here all the god damn time?!
>>
>>4068843
> Are you planning on buying that Starfox 2 repro off ebay with the power of your mind?
What does this even mean? It's trivial to find a copy of it for sale. Or is this in reference to not having a living room connected gaming computer would prevent me from buying games online?

> Unless you are doing some really weird shit like shopping online at your local library(which would be exceedingly stupid), then you already have a computer capable of emulating Starfox 2.
I mostly use my phone for internet, and my stand-alone computer is used for work.

When I want to play games it's with my CRT + Consoles which are set up in a second living room-- things I got when they first came out and still own. So your argument is "play emulated games on your work computer"? No. Not happening. And moving my work computer to the living room and trying to play games around the kid's schedule would be a waste of time. Also not going to go sit in my work room just so I can play games on an emulator.

>...the game only runs at 12-15FPS in the first fucking place, meaning you probably couldn't notice lag even if you tried.
Input lag is additive which means the slowdowns are exaggerated and minimizing lag is MORE important for a game like this. I have played it and rather enjoy it. You're just being willfully ignorant here in order to bolster your weak point.

>If you wanna try again, please make a logical argument.
You first. You made a supposition that is easy to poke apart. I just want to play games as easy and cheap as possible, and you've yet to propose a solution that cost less than $20-30 bucks. (To be fair, I've spent $60 to buy all of the repos I wanted to play on my SNES).

>>4068891
Stunt Racer FX and Winter Gold carts won't be missed. And for many games, the Japanese cart can be re-purposed for an English cart.

Also, I rather enjoy Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Edition and Parodius, which don't work on Flashcarts. So it's not just the one game.
>>
>>4068897
It's absolutely true, and really sad. I'm OK with repros like OPs, particularly if you're a big Megaten or whatever series fan and want a cart to plug in, that's cool. A flashcart is my personal choice, but I get wanting to have one or two real carts of games you love that didn't make it out here. That said, most games can be bootlegged without destroying a real game in the process. Destroying a real game for a repro, no matter how shitty the 'donor' game was is truly terrible.
>>
>>4069604
>Doom SNES is crap
dat red cartridge though
>>
>>4068716
as long as they aren't using a donor cart I see no issue.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.