[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just started Crusader: No Remorse, got to level 2. What do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Crusader%20cover%204.png (417KB, 506x722px) Image search: [Google]
Crusader%20cover%204.png
417KB, 506x722px
Just started Crusader: No Remorse, got to level 2.

What do you guys think? Is No Regret a noticeable jump in quality? Were the controls always considered absurd, or was it just typical back then? Are there other games that carry its mantle, or were the ideas this series had pretty much outmoded by twin stick shooters?
>>
I haven't played No Regret a ton, but it's basically the same game with new content, kind of like the difference between Doom and Doom 2.

Controls were more acceptable because they're not too bad once you learn them, which folks were more willing to do back then. And they actually make sense if you think about it.

Just put one hand on the arrow keys and the other around left shift/ctrl/s/space.

Most important controls are:

arrow keys to turn/aim and move forward/back
space to enter shoot mode and to shoot
s to select objects in the world, enter to search selected one (for loot)
i/o to change held item, u to use it
q/w to change held weapon
hold ctrl and press an arrow key to (left/right) roll left/right (forward) jump (back) toggle crouch
hold shift and press an arrow key to (left/right) aim/turn faster (forward) run
hold alt and press an arrow key to (left/right) sidestep
z to center the screen
f5 quicksaves

Most important thing to play effectively is: Don't be too reckless, play strategically. Roll to the sides a lot, specifically around corners to ambush enemies. Hold shift to quickly turn/aim. Use spiderbots to take out turrets etc (turn your character to control spiderbot movement).

That's it, not too hard. Quicksave often.

The way your character snaps to the sides if you walk/run into things might seem awkward at first but without it moving around would be really annoying. Also jumping never gets better but there's thankfully not a ton of platforming in the game (although i think they improved it in no remorse).
>>
>>4067896
>Were the controls always considered absurd
They're not actually that bad once you get used to them.
>>
>>4067972
I should add that sidestepping isn't that useful, it's better to roll. I never sidestep.

So what you'll be using most is arrow keys, shift, ctrl, space and s.
>>
>>4067972
>>4067973
I had initially written a longer OP, but 4chan ate it so I wrote this shorter one that might have given the wrong idea. I wrote "absurd controls" because it's a common complaint people throw at it, and they are a bit unwieldy at first. But I've gotten pretty used to them, and I'm slowly turning around to the game. The controls demand a kind of tactical mindset not usually expected in action games, and rolling out into a firefight is thrilling. But it's still very irritating to be shot by something offscreen or hidden from the camera, or needing to pivot around for the magic angle needed for the game to register who I'm aiming at. Not to mention wasting bullets shooting at a box in the way when I'm told I'm targeted on someone.

>>4067974
Funnily enough, I strafe around corners more than I roll because I have more control of where my reticle will be; when I roll, I've often taken shots by the time I adjust back to where I want to aim.
>>
>Were the controls always considered absurd,
The controls were an improvement over Ultima 8
>>
>*sigh*
Great game, nice conceptually and storywise (especially given the time it was published in, origin was good at it back then), even better music.
Played the hell out of it as a kid. Controls were challenging but that made it even better.
I was called a "gramps" for admitting liking this game in some retro thread a while ago :|

I haven't played No Regret because back in the days games weren't as available as today, so honestly, I learned about the sequel just a few years ago.
>>
>>4068010
>I was called a "gramps" for admitting liking this game in some retro thread a while ago :|

Yeah it sucks. Youngsters, huh? ;/
>>
>>4068010
Fuck off grandpa.
>>
File: assbuerglar.gif (959KB, 140x192px) Image search: [Google]
assbuerglar.gif
959KB, 140x192px
>>4068010
>>*sigh*
>>
>>4068067
>*groans and moans*
>>
>>4068010
Well gramps, I'm the OP and I'm 23. I'm enjoying it, but it's heartbreaking to see how ahead of its time it is. There's a pretty clear genealogy between this and the fixed camera tank controls of the RE games, which got perfectly refined for action games in RE4. Even something as simple as a smooth scrolling camera that leans forward on aiming could have made a world of difference without sacrificing the tactical decisions that seems to define Crusader. But from an interview with the game's director, it seems he wanted to prioritize cutting edge graphics and environmental destruction, so I guess something like camera control is the price he chose to pay.
>>
>>4068068
*grabs you by the throat*
back the fuck off?!!
>>
File: Alone1.jpg (33KB, 550x345px)
Alone1.jpg
33KB, 550x345px
>>4068084

> There's a pretty clear genealogy between this and the fixed camera tank controls of the RE games

There's a pretty clear genealogy between this and the fixed camera tank controls of the RE games

RE is just a shameless ripoff of Alone in the Dark.
>>
>>4068101
You're right, especially because Crusader came out a year before RE1 and it's highly unlikely that any of the japs played it. But I meant to make a comparison to what Crusader tried to do and what RE4 did in regards to applying tank controls to a straightforward action game.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.