[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Front Mission General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: FMlogo.gif (11KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
FMlogo.gif
11KB, 256x223px
So I'm thinking of getting into this series, but unsure of which version for the first entry to play. The DS version has lots of extra content, but apparently is neutered a lot when it comes to tone and more mature aspects. Meanwhile the SNES fan-translated version lacks the new scenario. I'm thinking of playing the original scenario on the SNES and the new one on the DS port. Good idea?

Also feel free to discuss this series in the thread.
>>
Honestly, you probably won't even play the new scenario, because you'll be burned out of FM by then. The game isn't that long, but it burns people out pretty quickly. So I say, go with whichever one you want. I'd rather be able to skip battles - although you can speed them up in the SNES emulator, so that's a moot point.

About the translation, yeah, some aspects were removed, mainly Royd's suicidal tendencies, but there's still some of it left (when you fight the old man in the Arena, for example).

Anyway, the hardest part are the first 6 or 7 stages, specially the first fight against that squad which I forgot the name. Missiles are cheap as hell, but fuck it. Rain missiles on everyone.
>>
is fm3 worth it?
>>
>>4066054
it is
>>
>>4066054
5>4>2>>1>>>3

The gameplay in FM3 is pretty disappointing because the skill system, small party size, and randomness encourage simple boring tactics. There are a couple unique levels but generally they all play out similarly and it just feels dull. The story is relatively interesting but the characters ruin it.

>I'm thinking of playing the original scenario on the SNES and the new one on the DS port. Good idea?
Yeah, that's a good plan.
I don't know what >>4065982 is talking about regarding getting burned out but if you do you can always play the other scenario at a later date.
>>
File: retroarch 2017-05-01 12-44-25-01.jpg (268KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
retroarch 2017-05-01 12-44-25-01.jpg
268KB, 1280x1024px
>>4066061
Good post, agree with every line.

>>4065930
Go with translated SNES game first, the translation itself is very good and since this is the first game in series and you meet Roid in later games it sure would be nice to get a better understanding of his character.
>>
I've started both 1 and 3 a few times and lost interest. On the other hand I played the shit out of 4 on PS2, but that ain't retro.

If you're going to play any front mission game, go immediately to Gun Hazard. It's easily one of the best games on the system.
>>
>>4065930
I have only played the SNES game, and twice now. Personally, it really isn't all that great. The mechanics are completely lop-sided in favor of rockets, the ai is terrible, the game is slow, the challenge is very uneven, and their is a notable lack of variety in gameplay. On the flip side, the theme is cool and the graphics are fun.

btw has anyone noticed what Lloyd's stock computer is? it's a BD
>>
>>4065982
Missiles were hilariously broken in 1 due to Guide activating on EVERY SINGLE ATTACK
>>
>>4066054
Eh, it's got issues but it's worth a shot. It has neat features like being able to eject from Wanzers and enemies surrendering and stuff like that, but it's very RNG-heavy and the skill system is kinda retarded, though not as overtly game-breaking as in FM1. Melee is still pretty trash aside from certain absurdly powerful skills that require the RNG to smile upon you.
I also remember the wanzer part weights pigeonholing you into very specific types of build, especially early on.

The whole fake internet is super cool, though, and the writing wasn't bad, though the MC was a bit of a fucker.
If it doesn't click, give 4 a shot.
>>
>>4069325
1 was hilariously broken for lots of reasons, my favorite is that if you only used Lloyd for the first 2 missions he becomes a physical god by the third.
>>
I played the original and the family remake.

I will tell you what you are gonna be doing the whole game. Basically spam the arena and double your money continuously, fights are a breeze especially with missiles.

Buy the best equipment, tediously change every piece on every robot after every 1 or 2 fights

Go to the bar, talk to the bartender. He looks like the same dude at every bar all over the continent but he talks like he's never met me but I know it's that same piece of shit.

Then put out like 16 dudes and steamroller everyone. The final boss isn't even kind of a challenge either. I attacked him from a distance and he couldn't even move

The second scenario was a completely new story but I was burned out and disappointed with the first part so I lost interest partway through it.
>>
>>4069360
you forgot the bit about blowing off hells wall's short range arms and foxholing your grenadier behind meat shields, winning with chip chots and a drawn out war of attrition against both a retarded and retardedly overpowered foe.
>>
>>4069360
>Buy the best equipment, tediously change every piece on every robot after every 1 or 2 fights

You really only need to feed XP to a few pilots to do most of the fighting, and then just give the others wanzer arms with built-in weapons/punches, us them as bait/support.
>>
File: WEGfrntmisTrio.jpg (525KB, 1348x1593px) Image search: [Google]
WEGfrntmisTrio.jpg
525KB, 1348x1593px
>>4066054
It's pretty funny. And in the FM's official timeline, it's s'pose to be the last story.
>>
File: ePSXe 2015-02-15 17-38-45-00.png (275KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2015-02-15 17-38-45-00.png
275KB, 1280x1024px
>>4066054
Its worth it just because the mood and atmosphere is cool.
That said, combat is the weakest in the series, even FM1 have more depth to it.
The internet is have everything on the world you ever wanted to know, from vehicle/wanzer models to look at, to news and history of the whole conflict.
>>
>>4069519
it's a pity they left a lot of japanese untranslated still in the in-game internet
>>
>>4069543
Technically they did but I imagine its more graphic layout than any useful information.

All the info is getting served via speech bubbles.
>>
>>4069543
You should play FM2 then.
>>
I should really get around to finishing FM4.
First game in the series with melee that's actually worth a damn, unless you're counting savescumming with EjectPunch or BodySmash in 3.
Everything feels like it has a use so far- EM started off kinda game-breaking but it got balanced out.
I like the two teams dynamic- both sides play pretty differently in terms of mission structure.
>>
>>4066054
No, but FM2 totally is.
Maybe Alternative and definitely Gunhazard
>>
>>4069519
Eh, I'd disagree with you there.
The combat has depth, it's just horribly balanced and prone to being swayed drastically by the RNG (random eject/stun)
It's definitely deeper than FM1's rocket spam. Melee is at least useful in theory in 3.
>>
>>4075551
Not really, all combat been reduced to >attack
I didnt use random eject since if I wanted a wanzer or a part I would go for hands and then surround wanzers puling pilots out with one gun shot.

FM1 had movement and weight balance that actually meant something and dictated your whole build.
Weapons and wanzer/pilot classes somehow were better balanced against each other, near the end of the game this balance disappeared since pilot level, large skill activation rate with two catling guns often meant the death of an enemy but, until that point it was pretty balanced and made you chose what do you want and how do you approach enemies.

In FM3 agility and weight all lost its meaning.
You could put anything you want on your wanzer and as long as you had the battery to handle the weight it was ok.
>>
>>4073435
>>4075551
Eject Punch and Stunpunch works just fine unless you're austistic about killing an enemy mech in 1 attack all the time, or you wanna salvage every single mech. With a high activation computer and 6X Eject Punch, Eject Punch will activate at least half the time making the game dirt easy. You can win with a full melee team as long as you have at least 1 mech with a missile launcher on certain missions.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.