[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC-98

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 9

File: c4kYV6I.gif (203KB, 639x299px) Image search: [Google]
c4kYV6I.gif
203KB, 639x299px
Best way of playing PC-98 games on modern PCs?

Any particular games you guys recommend? Will dump some images in the thread to start us off.
>>
File: 6vnPYVQ.gif (123KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
6vnPYVQ.gif
123KB, 1000x500px
>>
>>
File: epaJZC2.gif (241KB, 500x254px) Image search: [Google]
epaJZC2.gif
241KB, 500x254px
>>
File: ameri.jpg (72KB, 1142x759px)
ameri.jpg
72KB, 1142x759px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cTzVjLtNSg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk9Dty8jvwo
>>
>>4065894
Anybody know where this screen is from? It's not YU-NO, is it?
>>
Neko Project II fmgen should still be the recommended emulator.

How much Japanese do you know and what genres are you looking for?
>>
>>4065965
Little to no Japanese
Any genres.
It seems a good amount of this stuff is eroge, visual novels, or both hahaha

That's okay though. I've heard good things about Policenauts, Snatcher, and the like.

I even heard about Yu-No, which apparently has an english fan translation out
>>
>>4065971
>Little to no Japanese
>pc98
kek
>>
>>4065971
If you're only curious about them, then yeah. Go with the PC-98. But both Policenauts and Snatcher have updated versions that are translated. Policenauts is translated on PSX/Saturn, and Snatcher on Sega CD.
>>
>>4065971
PC98 library is dominated by adventures, RPGs, strategy games and various simulations.
None of which are suited for illiterates.
There are a handful translated ports on platforms like IBM/DOS or Windows but they tend to have issues. Yu-no is one of the better ones since the patch allows you to have original audio and removed censorship.

Snatcher is a PC88 game that never got a 98 port.
>>
>>4065971
You'll have some trouble getting games to play with little to no Japanese, since there isn't really that much of a translation scene beyond a couple of groups. Check romhacking.net's translation section and see if any of the 17 released translations there interest you.

I think the main to active groups that are doing anything on the PC-98 as far as translations to are 46 OkuMen and Nebulous Translations. You could also swing on by Tokugawa Corp forums or the newly established PC-98 Central forums for more information about shit.
>>
>>4065986
I thought Snatcher was an MSX2 original, but looking here, it was also released on the PC88. /vr/ teaching me new things everyday.
>>
>>4065992
I'm not sure if there's a single original adventure on the MSX.
Foreign websites tend to overlook the PC88 but it was the main platform of the showa era.
>>
>>4065971
Forgot to post some recommendations from the current translated games. Farland Story is a good set of 7 SRPGs (6 translated), EVO The Theory of Evolution (46 Okunen Monogatari The Shinkaron) is one of the earlier Enix RPGs and the precursor to Search for Eden on the SNES, and there's also Rusty, which is basically just a Castlevania with a lady in leather and large tits instead of a Belmont.
>>
>>4065996
Yeah, I was surprised how prolific the PC88 scene was. I was looking mainly for licensed anime games, and saw that there were a ton of adventure and SRPGs made off them, sometimes for stuff that never had any game, or only appeared in a crossover (like Super Robot Wars). For example, I was quite surprised to find a Dangaioh adventure game. I've played it (I know japanese), and although short (2 hours tops), it was very enjoyable, and the few images were beautifully drawn.

Some of the stuff seems to be lost to time, though. I'm looking for the first VOTOMS game since 2015. It's called "VOTOMS: Black Unicorn", and was only released for the PC88. I searched through Tokugawa Corps and the archive.org collections, but no luck. I only found mention of it in some japanese blogs, and no disk images anywhere.
>>
>>4065985
Not OP, but I've been interested in playing Policenauts and Snatcher too. Where do I get these translated roms/isos/bins/cues? Are they prepatched or do I need to patch them?

Any hope for a MEGA link and hardcore spoonfeeding? ;)
>>
>>4065912
Check out Virgin Angel!
>>
File: Filsnown_35.gif (137KB, 320x200px)
Filsnown_35.gif
137KB, 320x200px
i'm currently playing cyberblock metal orange and it's a very nice game. next i'm gonna try carat.

before that I played filsnown and it's a cool little RPG with a popful mail lookalike.

To play, download the ITH-compatible version of Neko project 2 (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ptonwq141atis1d/npkth.rar).
Then download ITHVNR and Translation aggregator and you'll get perfectly understandable google translation in real time. If you want to learn jap or have a more precise translation, you can add jparser and mecab to translation aggregator.
Note : since yesterday my antivirus says vnrhook.dll is a trojan, i've been playing for one year but i'm paranoid so if someone can confirm it's a false positive it would be cool
>>
>>4066010
emuparadise.me
Search for both "Policenauts" and "Snatcher".
Snatcher is the "Snatcher(U)" file.
Policenauts should be "[En_by_Slowbeef_v1.0]"
>>
>>4065884
>Best way of playing PC-98 games on modern PCs?

The most important thing is not being a subhuman EOP.

http://ux.getuploader.com/emu/
https://sites.google.com/site/np21win/download
>>
>>4066079
Is there anything /W lacks compared to fmgen?
Windows support itself doesn't seem very important but can it hurt?
>>
>>4066110
Not really just for games, but it's the way to go if you want a Windows box.
>>
>>4066072
Got Policenauts to work.
Thanks for everything, anon. Looking forward to experiencing it.
>>
>>4065971
>Little to no Japanese
Uh yeah well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hZgesGN94

Night Slave is the only game that hasn't been recommended yet, I guess. You don't technically need Japanese unless you want to read the plot which can be turned off in options.
>>
File: chirico.png (153KB, 1288x851px) Image search: [Google]
chirico.png
153KB, 1288x851px
>>4067608
>Night Slave
Hahaha, plot. Yes, "plot". Wait, you're pulling my leg, aren't you? Either way, maybe it's just misguided nostalgia, but I like that artstyle. I wonder if the same artist did other stuff.
(Nostalgia because I played True Love and Season of the Sakura, back in 2001).
>>
>>4067316
Just one thing. If you're playing Policenauts on psX (psxfin.exe), it'll freeze in a cutscene 15 minutes before the end (hint: golden armor). Other emulators don't suffer from this.
>>
>>4067627
What's wrong with the plot in NightSlave?
Check out NOVA (ノ・ヴァ) by Cat's Pro for other work of the artists.
>>
>>4067659
I thought you mean "plot" as in "plot and backstory" (tits and ass). I'll have a look at this artist, thanks.
>>
>>4067669
Why would you miss that if you can't read?
>>
I noticed that erogechan.com has the YU-NO translation and iso.
Is Erogechan a safe website to download from?
>>
>>4065884
>Best way of playing PC-98 games on modern PCs?

Use your modern PC to buc a PC-98 from ebay.
>>
>>4066064
Custom games have nice art, and don't forget to play Teens if you liked Carat and Chip Chan Kick's character design. Star Platinum is also a fun game I recommend for Koi Koi noobs, as the zodiac cards are easier to memorize than a real hanafuda deck.

Haven't touched Filsnown in years, but I remember getting lost after getting the ship. Cute cast btw. For more ero-RPGs goodness, try Branmarker 2 and Legend of Rouge.
>>
>>4065884
May as well ask since its a PC-98 thread. Anyone know what I'm supposed to put here? Been wanting to check Valkyrie out for a while, but my moonspeak is weak.
>>
>>4069525
It's a copy protection check. Check the manual or other documentation.

The Tokugawa corps collection includes such stuff.
https://mega.nz/#F!jIgkXQDY!hE3FQNWl77DkzKErGdz35g!rcBwAKZI
夢空萌慧 164cm
英田佐里 167cm
戸川めぐみ178cm
友原敦子 152cm
白樺羽紗木169cm
青山桃子 158cm
>>
File: 1477950368890.jpg (112KB, 960x720px)
1477950368890.jpg
112KB, 960x720px
>>4069546
Thanks, anon.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.