[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

\_(.0)_/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0053.jpg (64KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0053.jpg
64KB, 1000x750px
SNES component. Better or whatever?
>>
>>4065410
Does it also work with N64 and GCN?
>>
>>4065614
No, dumb summer poster. N64 doesn't output RGB or component signals, and GC outputs a digital RGB signal which needs a DAC to turn into component, so only official cables work on it.
>>
File: 1457268658.jpg (12KB, 294x313px) Image search: [Google]
1457268658.jpg
12KB, 294x313px
>>4065650
Well excuse me, Mr. high and mighty.

The SNES doesn't output fucking component either, so I was curious if it the converter chip in the cable would also work with the other consoles.

And what if I RGB modded my N64?
Would it work then?

All I know is that OP posted a pic of a component cable for the SNES.
>>
Where's the Chinese knockoff of these cables? First they were $35, then $45 and now I read the price will be going up again. These Jews need to be btfo.
>>
>>4065410
Good if your TV doesn't support RGB. But if you've more than 2-3 consoles it'll be more cost effective to get RGB SCART cables and a Shinybow SB-2840.
http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=220

>>4065614
No reason it shouldn't work with an RGB-modded N64 as long as you do your research and feed it the correct sync type/level. NTSC GameCubes don't output RGB, and I think PAL ones use a different pinout, so you're out of luck there.
>>
you guys are fucking crazy. i guess there's no difference.
>>
Please just play your Gamecube games on a Wii with native component output. It's true the amplitude isn't as high as on a GC with the real cable but you should be able to adjust for that easily in your display's settings. It's so much simpler and more versatile to use a Wii.
>>
>>4065712
I have both and I honestly can't see a difference on my consumer CRT. Maybe it's more obvious on a PVM/BVM, but it's not like the Wii's component output is bad. The only real reason to use a GameCube nowadays is for the Game Boy Player. No good solution for that, unfortunately.
>>
>>4065712
No Gameboy Player on the Wii though.

Although I wonder if the Advance Gameport would work in a Wii.
>>
>>4065730
>>4065734
I guess I always play Game Boy games on the handhelds. I have a Super GB that I've almost never used and I don't have the stupid disc for my GB Player on my GC. Never did, where did they all go? Is GBA emulation bad on the Wii? Or is it that you like to be able to pull your cart and go back to playing it on real hardware when you're not home?
>>
>>4065737
Emulation is kinda choppy on the wii. Also, there's a replacement disc for the gc player called gameboy interface which is much more accurate than the stock disc.
>>
>>4065737
>Is GBA emulation bad on the Wii?
Yes, even beyond the normal emulations problems of low accuracy and high input lag.

Game Boy Player is real hardware, so perfect accuracy, and has little to no lag when using GBI.
>>
File: IMG_0198.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0198.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>4065410
Can I splice together such a cable with just pic related? Also, would it work on my SNES without having to mod the console?
>>
>>4065772
No, the SNES only outputs RGB so you need a transcoder. Those cables are essentially an RGB cable with a transcoder built in, which is why they're expensive.
>>
>>4065660
Oh so there is a chip in the cable box. I thoight they were just using it to hide splicing. Anyone have any idea what the chip is? I am intrested in making the cable (price is to high to buy. $55? fuck that) but cant find a guide or the neccessary info google searching. Maybe Im using the wrong key words or something.
>>
>>4065780
How much is such a transcoder chip?
>>
>>4065781
>>4065783
If you want a plug-and-play box that does the same thing, see >>4065682
If you want to actually build a circuit from scratch yourself, good luck, I can't help you. Hope you've got a strong electronics background and know your way around datasheets.
>>
>>4065781
Found this, maybe it'll help:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28932-Universal-RGB-to-Component-Design
>>
>>4065794
I thought itd be more of a "this wire to this pin" sorta thing, but I dont shy away from challenges. I just need the right key words. Im trying to find a schematic for the sns0-ah0, which is the part used in OP's pic. A way to just purchase the part standalone would be fine if its <$20. Not turning up anything.
>>
>>4065802
Yesss, thank you.
>>
>>4065660
>The SNES doesn't output fucking component either,

I'm quite sure that the encoder chip on it actually does, but it's not wired up to the a/v out or something like that.
>>
>>4065802
That h/v sync looks like a bitch.
>>
>>4065817
A few early ones do, those with the S-ENC chip I believe. I've heard it can actually damage your console if you use it long-term, though. Not sure if that's true or not.
>>
>>4065781
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=71069

Its easier to just rip a 9pin connector off an old video card and replace the rf-out with a svideo out. Takes three cables and some soldering skills. Then a s-video to compnent ($5 cable) and then just plug your comonents and go.
>>
>>4065841
>s-video to compnent
For what purpose.

Besides, you know the multi-out already supports S-video, right? If you want S-video, just buy a $5 S-video cable.
>>
File: gbp.jpg (12KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
gbp.jpg
12KB, 400x300px
>>4065712
How do I plug this into my wii?
>>
>>4065650
When I saw that the last two summers never ended, I used to spout to people that summer shitters are a thing of the past thanks to smart phones. But jesus christ this summer has been particularly bad
>>
>>4065847
9pin svideo, bro. Pay attention.
>>
>>4065780
>why they're expensive
No

>>4065783
A couple bucks retail

>>4065794
>Hope you've got
Lol, the plans have been readily available for ages and it's nothing complicated.

>>4065805
It's slightly more than that. Most of the plans on teh intarwebs are copied or bastardized from the linear circuits that have been available since the mid 90's. Google linear rgb to component converter. I don't know if they have a single chip design but there's a similar part (TI IIRC) that can do it all with one chip and some supporting components. A dozen resistors or so.
>>
>>4065896
>A couple bucks retail

No shit? Damn. Would you be kind enough to link me to such a chip? I wanna try my hand at this. So all Ill need is the wires posted, the chip and some patiences right? Sounds like a fun night.
>>
>>4065886
You're confused. There's no such thing as "9-pin S-video". S-video is just Y/C. There are 9-pin mini-DIN connectors which may carry S-video, RGB, YPbPr, composite video, or any manner of other signals, but that doesn't solve the fundamental issue of transcoding the SNES's RGB video to YPbPr.
>>
>>4065908
You are right, I confused the connector names my bad. But, check the link I posted. The proof is in the pudding. Two people did the mod, one on two consoles, and it worked for each.
>>
>>4065850
You can't, although given how much shit the Wii shares with the GCN, I do wonder if the pins needed could be broken out somehow.

I've never actually taken a good look at the Wii's mobo to see if it could be done.
>>
>>4065896
Im>>4065906
And ive been looking but all ive found is http://www.tg16pcemods.com/store/p1/Component_Video_Mod_Chip_-_RGB_to_Component_Converter.html

And for $32 for the chip, Ill just $55 for the wire. If I could found the chip at the right price it would make for a real fun night but I am on a budget now.

Its been too long since my solderer saw use.
>>
>>4065923
That will only work if your SNES happens to have the correct video encoder. Nintendo used a bunch of different ones through the years.
>>
>>4065948
It works with a large chunk of the earlier models (aka yellow SNESs) but you are right.
>>
>>4065614
You need to mod your Nintendo 64 with RGB output first, Tim Worthington made some RGB mod for the Nintendo 64 called the N64RGB, and it looks really great, unlike the RGB mod for the Famicom which is a meme at best.

>>4065614
It won't work with an NTSC GameCube but it will work with a PAL GameCube.
But an official component cable for the GameCube is better if your GameCube has the digital AV out port, but the official component cables are bloody expensive.

>>4065712
>>4065737
The Game Boy Player doesn't work with the Wii.
But playing Game Boy/Color/Advance games on the handhelds is also pretty good.
Though the Game Boy Player for the GameCube is the real reason to get the component cables for the GameCube, but it's better if you use the Game Boy Interface + Swiss homebrew.

And if you play all your GameCube games on a Wii, you can just get a PAL GameCube, the Game Boy Player (in PAL, of course), HD Retrovision's Super Famicom component cable and the Game Boy Player homebrew as well as the Swiss homebrew.
That is, if you're being practical.
The Game Boy Player boot disc and Game Boy Interface + Swiss combo can output NTSC 60hz so it's probably not a problem if you have an NTSC-only TV.

Whatever you do, never do emulation except if you're experimenting.
Though I have to admit, the Game Boy Advance emulated versions of WarioWare Twisted and the Boktai games, along with a few others, is the best way to play them if you don't have the original Game Boy Advance cartridges.
But then again, I do have them so I usually still don't care about emulation on the Wii.
>>
>>4066076
>Game Boy Player (in PAL, of course)
Game Boy Player is region free, you can grab one of those neat spice ones from Japan if you wanted and it would still work; Just the boot disc is region locked, and if you're using GBI, that's of no concern anyway.

>>4065748
Give mGBA, either standalone(emGBA) or via Retroarch a shot. It's worlds better than wiiMednafen or VBAGX's offerings.

Can even get proper scaling ala GBI LL/ULL with RA.
>>
>>4066083
Okay. Nice info on the Game Boy Player being region free.
>>
>>4066076
>unlike the RGB mod for the Famicom which is a meme at best.
You're an idiot, but I guess that's to be expected of a tripfag.
>>
>>4066261
>implying the RGB palettes for the Famicom, which are fan-made and are tailored for emulators, look good
>>
>>4066261
another emulator babby who thinks their NESRGB mod is accurate, when will you learn?
>>
>>4066312
I didn't say anything about accuracy. But if you think a nearly unnoticeable difference in one shade of blue is such a big deal that you'd rather use composite video than crisp, clear RGB, you might just have a crippling case of the autism.
>>
>>4066326
>spending hundreds of dollars to make your vintage game console output a meme video format that it wasn't designed to support
oh yeah, I'm definitely the one with crippling autism
>>
>>4066352
Did you notice which thread you're in?

Anyway, given how much better RGB looks, why not? Some people have jobs and are willing to pay for quality. I'm afraid the word "meme" isn't a convincing enough argument to overcome the shittiness of composite video.
>>
>>4065410
lot of good it'll do when your tv does not support 240p
>>
File: Spoonfeed_me.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Spoonfeed_me.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>4065730
>>4065737
>>4065748
>>4066083
I can only get GBI-LL (GBI and GBI-ULL) working on my US GameCube, but not my Japanese ones because my Action Replay region is US only. I too only have 1 of each official GBP boot disc, and a spare system without one which happens to be a Japanese one.
>>
File: CRT_support.jpg (477KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
CRT_support.jpg
477KB, 2592x1944px
>>4066793
Meant to say: I wish GBI-LL could be my end all JP GBP boot disk replacement since the disc is the expensive part. (I still need a matching Spice Orange GBP too ^^)
>>
>>4065835
using c-sync output on genesis or Saturn can damage the console too but that doesn't stop all the VIDEO GAME PERFECTIONISTS from using it.
>>
>>4065906
>i can't google linear rgb to component converter
First two results on baidu are the linear shit as well. Or are you a north korean spy trying to steal our retro secrets? I hope video amplifiers aren't strategic commodities.
http://www.linear.com/solutions/1311
http://www.linear.com/solutions/1312
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.