[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was the NES port so shitty?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: NES_01[1].gif (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
NES_01[1].gif
4KB, 256x224px
Why was the NES port so shitty?
>>
Hardware gimmicks don't compensate for limited memory especially on one screen games.
>>
>>4063846
The NES is limited hardware wise and is inferior to the arcade board especially since the board was created for the game unlike the NES which was just created for 8 bit games.

The NES was a hundred dollar console and arcade machines were a few thousand dollars.
>>
Better than any other home port until Dk64.
>>
It wasn't though, pretty much every port missed the pie factory level. I guess it was tradition by then.
>>
>>4063846
It was a Famicom launch game and of the few available, the best one in the lineup. Launch games usually cut corners and are not optimal. Remember Super mario bros was a few years off.
>>
>>4063929
Stupid statement but I find it weird to refer to refer to early Famicom games as "launch titles". I know they technically are launch titles but it was so long ago and most Famicom games kinda gel together in terms of time period that I forget there had to be some sort of set amount of games as launch titles.
>>
>>4065716
I feel you. I thought all the black box games were developed and released at the same time.
>>
File: fullpickBBG[1].jpg (333KB, 1200x960px) Image search: [Google]
fullpickBBG[1].jpg
333KB, 1200x960px
>>4065716
The Famicom launched with just three titles, DK, DK Jr and Popeye. Think about that. Also think about the difference between 1983 and 1985 and how even in 1985 for the US release we only got pic related. Objectively, these are not earth shakers. Super Mario Brothers was a game changer and a system seller. Was for me anyway.
>>
>>4063846
There's an "original edition" rom that restores the pie factory.
>>
>>4065731
>>4065721
Yeah see that's what I mean, games like Super Mario Bros. (this one more than any other I'll mention) or zelda, or even contra are so iconic and well recognized that they gel well together and it kinda feels like they've just been there forever, or at least since the launch. But no this isn't the case, there was barely anything really at launch and it's weird to remember that for such a powerhouse of a console with such a monolithic presence in the community. I guess that goes for any retro console but I feel like if you told me the "Launch lineup" for master system, 2600, PC-Engine, or even SNES or mega drive I feel like it wouldn't be as weird.

or maybe this is all hipster bullshit I don't know.
>>
>>4065716
Go ahead and compare Popeye (a 1983 famicom launch title) to Kirby's Adventure (one of the last great NES games from 1992) visually. The former is hardly even a step up from Atari while the latter is practically a Super Nintendo game. Keeping in mind when each game was released is a pretty important factor when evaluating said game's graphics and overall gameplay
>>
>>4065771
Oh of course I understand this, and there is a clear difference when you get down to it, but from a surface level the term "famicom launch title" feels extremely weird to me.
>>
>>4065742

It was a special release on the Wii virtual console in Europe that got dumped into a .nes

And it's fantastic.
>>
File: Cement_tray.jpg (8KB, 136x174px) Image search: [Google]
Cement_tray.jpg
8KB, 136x174px
Also, it's a fucking CEMENT factory, you überplebs.
>>
>>4063867
Nope. Atari 8-bit wins that one.

>>4063881
Pic related.
>>
>>4063846
no factory
>>
>>4063865
>The NES is limited hardware wise and is inferior to the arcade board
yes, in some ways, but not universally.
>especially since the board was created for the game
yes, this is a major factor.
>unlike the NES which was just created for 8 bit games.
So was the arcade board. DK is an 8-bit game. Do you still think "bits" are the most important thing?
>The NES was a hundred dollar console
no
>and arcade machines were a few thousand dollars.
yes, but that's not as significant as you think, given that the two pieces of hardware are seperated by several years, and arcade hardware costs are often inflated by the cost of the cabinet and related hardware.

Why are namefags and tripfags always so cocky and wrong?
>>
>>4063846
Because it's not a port.

>>4063867
Dk64 one isn't a port too.
>>
>>4066493
triggered
>>
>>4066493
You have to put yourself in the mindset of someone who wants attention like that
>>
>>4063846
>NES version has to cut levels
>GB remake adds a fuckton of levels
How did they do it?
>>
>>4066493
Disregard the 'Rican, he is the worst name poster on the board. Disregard everything he says.
>>
>>4066507
Yes, it was and DK64 uses a rom & emulator.
>>
>>4065752
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_console_launch_games

I think you'll be pretty surprised in general how few games would come out along side new consoles back in the day. Two or three titles was pretty standard with some kund of a "system seller" usually introduced at the US release. Like for the Genesis this was Altered Beast. It seems to challenge a lot of younger gamers minds to imagine how that was a system seller but it was. I fed that game at least twenty dollars in the arcades as a kid and I was stoked that it was the pack in with my Genesis.

It wasn't until fifth gen that there was a real push for a wide selection of titles at release, probably coming off the big console war and Sega's over-eagerness with Saturn's release. Sony's launch titles were pretty impressive considering they had no in-house development team.

It was really the PS2 launch games where we saw a real full selection of titles right away and the trend was set to expect that. It's interesting that Switch's game selection was pretty limited even though it had a real system seller (that promptly was released on WiiU too). Nintendo is getting back to basics I guess
>>
>>4063846
space costs money, there's a reason nintendo created the fds drive and why optical media replaced carts. real question should be why did they not include the 'complete version' with the dk/dkjr cart
>>
>>4066549
No, it's not. It's a reprogrammed game. Similar with Strider on MD.

Ikegami Tsukinshi had previously signed a contract with Nintendo for the programming and manufacturing of arcade games, Donkey Kong included. During its development, Shigeru Miyamoto would produce various ideas and characters that Ikegami would then program into the game.

The contract gave Ikegami exclusive rights for manufacturing Donkey Kong arcade boards. Nintendo did not fulfill this agreement and then made their own which is when the lawsuit began. Nintendo hired another contractor called Iwasaki Engineering to disassemble and reverse engineer Donkey Kong so that Nintendo could add new graphics, stages, and mechanics for a sequel.

Nintendo also only sells the nes version. Dk64 one was also rare trying to recreate the game to closest to arcade original.
>>
>>4066691
Is there any known difference between the arcade port on DK64 and the original?
>>
>>4066515
>namefag gives wrong information
>someone corrects him
>TRIGGERED KEK

Discourse on 4chan
>>
>>4066535
The Famicom version had very small space requirements. The Gameboy version was released 12 years later. Hardware ROM was cheaper by then.

Incidentally I bought DK94 thinking it was just a port of the arcade version. I just wanted that damn pie level.
>>
>Japanese stage order
Barrel, Conveyor, Elevator, Rivets ; repeat each loop

>US stage order
Loop 1: Barrel, Rivets
Loop 2: Barrel, Elevator, Rivets
Loop 3: Barrel, Conveyor, Elevator, Rivets
Loop 4: Barrel, Conveyor, Barrel, Elevator, Rivets
Loop 5: Barrel, Conveyor, Barrel, Elevator, Barrel, Rivets

Why did they do this? It just takes more money because by the time you see all the stages they're already hard.
>>
>>4066814
Hm, I guess the DK64 port is the japanese original.
I just realized I never played the US arcade.
>>
>>4066814
It keeps the game fresh(?)
I don't fucking know anon, it is what it is.
>>
>>4063846
fuck off no it wasnt
>>
>>4066691
Nintendo fixed said legal issues with Ikegami Tsukinshi in the early 90s and DK.JR was programmed by SRD who Nintendo still uses to this day.

It's a rom & emulator as homebrew got DK.JR & Radar Scope running on the emulator.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.