[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought a saturn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0437.jpg (13KB, 250x139px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0437.jpg
13KB, 250x139px
It came with Sonic 3D Blast and Virtua Fighter II.

I usually only play JRPGs but those seem quite expensive for this console.

So I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to get into 2D Fighters and Shmups/BulletHell games.

Does /vr/ have any recommendations for me? Imports are fine, especially if the NA version is expensive.
>>
>>4063236
It only has a handful of exclusives (Panzer Dragoon series notably), everything else are poor arcade conversions that you'd have an easier time playing on MAME.

But hey, if you want to play Metal Slug running at 8fps with half the animation missing, be my guest.
>>
>>4063239
At least you won't have to deal with the horrid Input Lag on MAME and the ass backwards anti-user ROM system.
>>
File: rbs-saturnj.jpg (234KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rbs-saturnj.jpg
234KB, 1000x1000px
>>4063239 is right about Panzer Dragoon series, give these a try.
Saga is stupidly expensive but just mod your Saturn.
He's wrong about Saturn having poor arcade conversions, they were always praised, and MAME is still emulation so you don't want to deal with all that laggy shit.
The console versions of these fighters have some extra features that the arcade originals lack, and if you have a buddy who also enjoys fighting games, Saturn is the best couch co-op console for them, besides Neo Geo.
If you want the best of the best on Saturn you'll need a RAM cart, games like Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3 use it.
Saturn also has good SNK fighters like Real Bout Special, Fatal Fury 3, KOF.
Those games are all pretty inexpensive in their japanese versions.
Then there are ports of games that don't use the extra RAM; so they are missing a few frames of animation, but still pretty legit, and much better than the PS1 ports, games like SFA 2/Street Fighter Collection, Night Warriors (this one has full animation for mirror matches), great ports that play like the arcade originals and look virtually the same, and again inexpensive on their japanese editions.
>>
Are Saturn mod chips still around?
>>
>>4063239
>It only has a handful of exclusives
Panzer Dragoon games
Burning Rangers
Nights into Dreams
Christmas Nights into Dreams
Astal
A good bunch of RPGs.

Those aren't random games. Some of those are among the best of the generation.
>>
>>4063253
Thanks, I'll try to pick up these games, is there a good way to go about learning how to play 2D fighters or do I just memorize move sets?
>>
>>4063281
Err, have you never played Street Fighter?

Anyways, the fighting games aren't all that great without other players. Nice to look at though.
>>
>>4063287
I've only played MK and got my ass whopped so hard that I never touched another 2D Fighter
>>
some nice saturn fighters :
groove on fight
suiko enbu fuunsaiki
waku waku 7
>>
>>4063260
AliExpress has some.
I use a Action Replay to play backups instead.
>>
>>4063245
>horrid Input Lag on MAME
Nice meme segadron
>>
>>4063245
>At least you won't have to deal with the horrid Input Lag on MAME

I only noticed lag once, and turning off vsync fixed it. If you use a CRT then you probably won't even have that issue.

>and the ass backwards anti-user ROM system.

I downloaded the full set once and never had to deal with the rom system anymore again.

>>4063273
Nights and Xmas Nights are not exclusives. Burning Rangers is a very poor game (oh it has coloured lightning, big fucking deal), and only Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga are exclusives. Saga is great though.
Astal is a mediocre platformer with pretty backgrounds.

>A good bunch of RPGs.
Nearly all of them not translated. Shining Force 3 was okay, if a bit on the slow side. But if you want to see more than 1/3rds of it, you need a modchip anyway.
>>
>>4063260
>Are Saturn mod chips still around?

They are more plentiful than ever, you can get them from ebay now.

>>4063253
>He's wrong about Saturn having poor arcade conversions, they were always praised

They were praised because the standard for the time was Neogeo ->SNES quality conversions with totally redrawn graphics and sprites, and the Saturn was a huge step up. But compared to the arcade originals, most of those conversions are still missing animation frames, or have slowdown, or altered music, or completely different character models, different backgrounds, and so on.

For the 90s, yes, the Saturn had good ports.

Today anyone can boot up the arcade originals, and compared to those most Saturn ports are garbage.
>>
>>4064613
>Nights and Xmas Nights are not exclusives.
Yes they are and the PC and PS2 game came out years later or are inferior.
>Burning Rangers is a very poor game
Shit opinion.
>Nearly all of them not translated.
A lot are. Albert Odyssey for example.
>>
>>4064617
Yeah but emulation is full of inaccuracies, the only thing better than the arcade ports on Saturn are the actual PCBs, but then again, the Saturn versions often have extra features that the arcade versions don't.
Either way, they're amazing ports, not "garbage", that's just you exaggerating.
>>
>>4064613
>you need a modchip anyway
You don't though??
>>
>>4064620
>Yes they are and the PC and PS2 game came out years later or are inferior.
Oh, you are one of those fags who cry about the analog control not having 32767 steps? They fixed that with a patch iirc.

>Shit opinion.
It has shimmering polygon syndrome everywhere, a retarded camera, and sonic team quality poor controls. In fact if it wasn't made by Sonic Team, nobody would give two shits about it.

>A lot are.
Except all the interesting or even high selling ones. No English Wachenröder, Sakura Taisen, Grandia...

>Albert Odyssey for example.
It's a mediocre SNES game that was ported in the last minute.
>>
>>4064648
>Yeah but emulation is full of inaccuracies

And playing a poor port isn't?

>the only thing better than the arcade ports on Saturn are the actual PCBs

No, most Saturn ports were so bad that even emulation is better.

>the Saturn versions often have extra features that the arcade versions don't.

And just as often they don't. Most Capcom fighters for example have an arcade mode, a VS mode, and an options screen. SF Alpha was probably the only exception.

>Either way, they're amazing ports, not "garbage", that's just you exaggerating.

They were amazing FOR THEIR TIME, because they approximated the original PCBs very well. But they are worthless by todays standards; they have wrong resolution, wrong refresh rate and therefore speed, missing animation or heavily toned down character models, sometimes they have sprite flickering or missing effects, almost always they are riddled with slowdowns, I can't name a single arcade perfect Saturn conversion.
>>
>>4064620
>Albert Odyssey for example.
Terrible, terrible game
>>
>>4064701
Let's agree to disagree then, you keep emulating, I keep playing the official Saturn ports.
>>
>>4064701
>And playing a poor port isn't?
We're talking Saturn here, not PlayStation.
>>
>>4064692
>iirc
You remember that wrong, it still sucks.
>>
>>4064709
Check Metal Slug or Marvel Super Heroes with the ram cart and tell me they aren't poor ports.
>>
>>4064721
Metal Slug is a fighting game?
>>
Several of the shoot em ups have been raising in price. Darius gaiden and Rayforce used to be less than 30 dollar games both import and NA version but the bigger ones are garegga, dodonpachi, batsugun, Thunder force V, radiant silvergun, guardian force, and Terra raising?(i definitely butchered the name and lazy to Google. Its a another rizing title). Those are like 150+ now.
As for 2D fighters forget whatever >>4063245 is saying i mean they can have that opinion and there are some truth behind it but the ports of snk and capcom figters are still enjoyable. Some goodies make them worth the price today. If you're like competitive about fighters then these ports aren't worth your time, but if you aren't then their still affordable.
>>
File: 1484698847468.gif (493KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1484698847468.gif
493KB, 320x240px
>>4064692
>and sonic team quality poor controls
>>
Any of you guys got the webm with the sega saturn must haves?

Some anon mustve saved it
>>
>>4064730
Radiant Silvergun was always around $200 even ten years ago.
>>
>>4063281
Number one rule, don't ever play the CPU. It makes your brain shrink.
>>
>>4064756
I thought it down a but when the 360 port was released it was like 150-175 back in 14 still. Idk how much it is now. Same I'm assuming garegga and guardian heroes are down by their modern releases as well.
>>
>>4063236
Super Street Fighter 2 X for saturn lets you play with dipswitches in the options menu. You can do neat stuff like re-enable the bonus stages.

Or maybe that was the dreamcast version...
>>
>>4063323
Old MK games controlled the enemy based on your button presses. (ie. you jumping triggers the AI's anti air before the frame of you jumping is even drawn) It made for an impossible single player mode, unless you found stupid ways to cheese each character. Would not reccommend
>>
>>4064778
You are assuming wrong. If anything, it made the prices hike up even more, because they are now first release collectors items.
>>
>can you guys recommend me some games for [console] ?
>no, but let me list all the reasons why [console] is shit instead

What happened to you, /vr/?
>>
File: fviperspepsiman2.jpg (31KB, 423x269px) Image search: [Google]
fviperspepsiman2.jpg
31KB, 423x269px
Fighting Vipers. Awesome soundtrack, pretty good gameplay, japanese version has Pepsi Man
>>
>>4063236
Saturn seems like a cool console, is it worth to pick one up today?
>>
File: Saturn_Recommended_Games.jpg (311KB, 1000x1270px) Image search: [Google]
Saturn_Recommended_Games.jpg
311KB, 1000x1270px
Since no one posted it yet...
>>
>>4064839
It's summer and there's a group of kids that hate everything 5thgen that isn't a RPG or remaster. Especially tank controls.
>>
>>4063236
Top 5 Saturn games:

Cotton Boomerang
Astra Superstars
Princess Crown
Bulk Slash
NiGHTS
>>
File: 250px-Eldeanfront.jpg (55KB, 250x421px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Eldeanfront.jpg
55KB, 250x421px
>>4064705
I just started this game... at the third town... I really hope youre being a little bitch and its a decent game... its my first saturn experience....
>>
>>4064846
>americans think deep fear wasn't released in the west
ebin
>>
>>4066069
not him but I bought it a few years ago because it looked nice in the magazines. I got really bored quickly, mainly because of the battle rate and loading time for each battle I believe. it's a bad first saturn experience
>>
>>4064705
>>4066107
It's a good RPG. Excellent ost. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlLX3U6QfyQ
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.