[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Battletoads game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: 1438735799358.jpg (185KB, 1027x953px) Image search: [Google]
1438735799358.jpg
185KB, 1027x953px
What's the best Battletoads game?
>>
>>4062524
Battletoads
>>
>>4062538
/thread, nice going OP
>>
Anyone who says arcade Battletoads is following a meme. NES Battletoads seamlessly blends so many adjacent styles of gameplay to make such a flawlessly great experience. The only other game that comes close to that arcade pick up and play action is Battletoads & Double Dragon.
>>
>>4062574
Yeah

>What is the 2nd best Battletoads game?

...is a better question, or better yet

>What is the best version of Battletoads vs Double Dragon?
>>
>>4062578
>vs
well I fucked that up huh
>>
>>4062574
>Battletoads seamlessly blends so many adjacent styles of gameplay
wasn't it a memory game? I completed it but wouldnt say it was flawlesslt great experience. Also very poor game for coop, because.
>>
BattleToads and Double Dragon. Not as much retarded genre changing and it's actually possible to make decent progress with two players.
>>
Genesis Battletoads>NES Battletoads
>>
>>4062524
The arcade game.
>>
>>4062645
>wasn't it a memory game?
Yes it was.
>Also very poor game for coop, because
That is so damn true that it almost hurts to remember how it was like to play with someone who did not play it as much as you did.
>>
>>4062675
What's the difference?
>>
>>4062574
>Anyone who says arcade Battletoads is following a meme
No the biggest meme is NES Battletoads

>NES Battletoads seamlessly blends so many adjacent styles of gameplay
And all of them pretty mediocre, just a jack of al ltrades

Arcade is the one I enjoyed the most, just a shame it was unfinished
>>
>>4062574
>shitting on the arcade game
>"that arcade pick up and play action"
>>
File: strifeanura.gif (826KB, 496x394px) Image search: [Google]
strifeanura.gif
826KB, 496x394px
>>4062574
>NES Battletoads seamlessly blends so many adjacent styles of gameplay to make such a flawlessly great experience

It really doesn't. It's not seamless and all, and the overall experience is uneven AF.

The gameplay smörgåsbord I can live with, since that sort of thing was popular back then, but the really bad part was the huge different of quality between levels in terms of overall design:

Awesome Tier: Wookie Hole, Surf City, Intruder Excluder, the Revolution
OK Tier: Ragnarok's Canyon, Turbo Tunnel, Arctic Caverns, Karnath's Lair (the first time), Rat Race (the occasional time)
Mouthcrap tier: Karnath's Lair (all subsequent times), Volkmire's Inferno (it's a duller, more obtuse Turbo Tunnel), Terra Tubes (unrewarding memorization-fest), Rat Race (most times unless you're lucky)
Clinger Winger tier: Clinger Winger (this one is just stupid; it's dead easy once you figure it out, but until then it's just a credit mower)

>>4062645
>>4062645
> very poor game for coop

Not exactly. It's so much fun with 2 players; it's just fucking impossible (literally even, in some versions)
>>
>>4064162
>Not exactly. It's so much fun with 2 players
It's fun 2 first stages. Then to the trash it goes. All of the stages that come next are about proper muscle memorization. If you pass through one segment 20%, guess what happens when your friend also passes this segment 20% of times. Probability says you're fucked. It's coop is shit, end of question.
>>
File: conflictfrogs.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
conflictfrogs.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
>>4064139
>Genesis Battletoads>NES Battletoads
>What's the difference

Genesis version is more obscure, and we're in /vr/

Any actual effort or thought put into a comparison will reveal that the game mechanics are sluggish and slightly off, and that only the first 3 levels received a proper update in terms of visuals, probably because that was the only part of the game that would be realistically quality-checked. The rest of the levels have different degrees of laziness invested in quick updates of the original tilemaps and enemy sprites. It was practically a swindle
>>
File: doh.gif (117KB, 503x434px) Image search: [Google]
doh.gif
117KB, 503x434px
>>4064169
My friend-who-actually-owned-a-NES and I used to play it, and I don't think we ever made it past Arctic Caverns, though he was pretty good at it. It's true that this game has almost zero tolerance for differently-skilled players in co-op.

For the general usage in this board though, I'm guessing "memorization" means "more practice than I'm willing to develop". Nothing wrong with deciding a game is too much for you, but it seems it usually involves extra rationalization gymnastics to legitimate the decision by deciding the game is "bad" >>4064153 I really think it isn't; except for a bunch of dumb spots, most levels are extremely fun, satisfying and rewarding to play and master if you can deal with the challenge and occasional bursts of frustration (plus the overall presentation is top-tier for the NES)
>>
>>4064210
>almost zero tolerance for differently-skilled players in co-op.
I would say zero tolerance for equally skilled players as well.

>For the general usage in this board though, I'm guessing "memorization" means "more practice than I'm willing to develop"
No, memorization means memorization. You have to both memorize every second of the game, and give the exact same input at the exact given time, to have desired output, i.e, not die.
>>
>>4062574
I think the Mega Drive version was better.
>>
>>4064210
>Nothing wrong with deciding a game is too much for you, but it seems it usually involves extra rationalization gymnastics to legitimate the decision by deciding the game is "bad"
Where did I say the game is bad? I just outlined for you why is it bad coop game, for reasons you don't seem to grasp. I have finished this game twice, I know it well and it was pleasurable experience.
>>
No love for Battlemaniacs?
>>
Arcade>NES>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MegaDrive
>>
>>4064403
There is literally nothing with the Megadrive version unless you think anti-rental difficulty level is better for a good game than hard but reasonable difficulty.
>>
>>4062524
Battletoads and Double Dragon, easily.
>>
>>4062524
Arcade
& Double Dragon
Gameboy
NES
SNES

>>4062574
You're an idiot. All the non-beat 'em up sections are shit.
>>
>>4065935
>You're an idiot. All the non-beat 'em up sections are shit.
That's a filthy lie and you suck dicks
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.