[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Commodore 64

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: commodore_64.jpg (10KB, 156x244px)
commodore_64.jpg
10KB, 156x244px
What was so great about this meme machine?
>>
Considering it's release date and price it packed quite a punch and was kept alive by its huge success.
>>
It's got the best PSG soundchip ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdz5X814bNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JScqpJ3XWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCZICbuTRco
>>
>>4062301
64k in the early 80s

nuff said.
>>
Compared it its contemporaries: hardware sprites, a relatively good color palette and an impressive sound chip, all at a reasonable price.
>>
>>4062301
At a time when consoles were pretty much dead in the US, this this was the best way to get your gaming fix.

It may have also been the "We bought it to help with your homework" thing that convinced your folks to buy it, as opposed to the expensive toy that a console was.

tldr; Games during the crash, Inexpensive computer instead of a console.
>>
Easy to pirate and had a rich amateur/hobbyist scene. If you lived outside of the west and weren't willing to throw cash to import consoles, you could get shitloads of C64 games.
Also, British developers made all sorts of weird shit that's interesting to try out.
Basically it was the 80s main gaming computer.
>>
>>4062307
Sounds damn good.
>>
>>4062301
It had plenty of good games, was cheap, and packed some rockin' chiptunes.
>>
It was a cheap, but relatively powerful home computer with color graphics, hardware sprites, and a sound chip designed by someone who actually knew a thing or two about music.
>>
It had some excellent music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eog6-zvts6g
>>
>>4062304
Inflation adjusted, it was around $1400 on release.

How quickly did that drop? Were people really throwing down $1400 on computers many of them barely understood how to use?
>>
>>4062301
Many many things

>>4063061
People weren't throwing down $1400 because inflation adjustment doesn't have a time machine and didn't go back and adjust prices in the past.
>>
>>4063061
your median income in 1983 was 16,000.

So, for just over a month's wages, you got a computer.
>>
>>4063376
That's not how inflation works.

What it mean is that means is that if the Commodore 64 was released in 1983 with the US dollar having the same value it does today, the price would be $1,400.

E.g. $600 dollars in 1983 has the same purchasing power as $1,400 in 2017.
>>
>>4063396
I know inflation doesn't have a time machine. That's why I pointed it out to the kid who asked if people were throwing down $1400 in 2017 currency in the 80s. Also, people in the 80's wouldn't take 2017 dollars because they look very different than 80's currency.
>>
>>4062920
>the 80s main gaming computer
But muh Speccy!
>>
>>4063553
kill yourself
>>
Not a fuck damn thing.
>>
>>4062301
It had ads with F-14 Tomcats in them.
And that was the hottest, raddest shit at that time.
>>
>>4063752
Retard, I think you meant "everything".
>>
>meme machine
>the best selling computer model of all time

Come on anon
>>
Homebrew games. But that's it. Compared to it's contemporary platforms, it wasn't spectacular. Then again the Apple II also had a large homebrew scene.
>>
>>4062301
It's THE computer for demoscene shit, so if you like chiptunes and crazy visuals, it's was a pretty sweet machine.
It's not too shabby gamewise, but as a personal computer it wasn't all that useful.
It was fun to program though.
>>
File: defender_of_the_crown_01.gif (9KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
defender_of_the_crown_01.gif
9KB, 320x200px
I can still hear the theme tune..
>>
As said, the whole experience. It deserved to be a best-seller.

>>4063396

I got my C64 back in '86, costing about 1270 € in today's money. And the machine was cheap to manufacture due vertical integration. So someone made nice bucks.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.