[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions about a CRT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

I apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong section. So I somehow found and snagged a gem today for 25 bucks! I didn't know such a beast even existed... It is a Sony kv-36hs500. I just have a few questions.

How can I make this thing last as long as possible? When I turn it on it makes a sound like "BRONG" lol I've heard CRT TVs make this sound before, is it bad? If a tube goes out on a crt is there any way to fix it? I've had crt's in the past but since I've gotten back into my nes and SNES I've become a lot more curious about these. Any help/ opinions/ personal experience anyone is willing to share would be much appreciated!
>>
>>4062047
>When I turn it on it makes a sound like "BRONG" lol I've heard CRT TVs make this sound before, is it bad?
degaussing, it is normal
>>
>>4062047
thats bad. your crt should be making more of a BRAP sound.
>>
My CRT goes "floop floop" when I hit the button
>>
>>4062089
>>4062095
I respectfully disagree with these gentlemen, as the sound i am most accustomed to is more akin to a "DRAAANG", no doubt the most healthy of CRT sounds.

>>4062047
If you read up on safety procedures (important) you could dust the insides. Also don't fill the room with smoke, i guess.
>>
You guys crack me up, fucking braap haha. Thanks for all the info so far!
>>
>>4062047
>How can I make this thing last as long as possible?
Just don't try to damage it too much and it should last but even if you damage it it will still work most of the time.

I used a old CRT that was cracked and had a dead section for years gaming i used it for at least 5 years before my father threw it out.
> is it bad?
As long as it does not catch on fire then you should not worry.
>personal experience anyone is willing to share would be much appreciated
Fine i have been using CRT's for most of my life as i have been gaming on them ever since i was a child (back in 02 with mario kart 64 and N64) which was some of my earliest memories of it.

I kept playing on CRT's throughout the ps2 generation when my brother finally got a PS2 for his birthday (just after the slim model came out) and kept using a CRT for those games till i turned 14 in 2012 and got a new fangled console which i still used on my CRT.

I stopped using them for a few years and just recently got back into them and they are a must if you play the retro consoles.
>>
And now everything i play goes through RF
>>
Also the power goes out regularly here, sometimes it happens while I play

Please, someone get me out of this third world shithole
>>
>>4062047
>kv-36hs500
>hs
Get a different CRT
>>
>>4062137
Why get a different one?
>>
>>4062138
hs = high scan. It will upscale /vr/ games (no scanlines, lag)
>>
>>4062130
Get a UPS. At least it should hold your console on until power gets back so you don't lose your progress.
>>
>>4062690
Sometimes, when it rains, the roof leaks and I have to move my console around so it doesn't get wet

it rains a lot here
>>
>>4062752
That's a bigger problem than just a power outage. But you can also move the UPS and keep the console on.
>>
>>4062139
Keep it though, other sources will look magnificent on that set - just not ideal for retro gaming.
>>
While we are still on the topic of this set, I have been looking all over the place for something else.... I've heard that very selective hd crt sets are able to be used with the nes zapper and other light guns alike. I've heard that none work, I've heard that nothing Bove 60hz will work.... I saw a post somewhere where a guy posted a pic of this exact tv (appearance wise) no model number was shared. But mine is a 60hzhd crt any thoughts? Was up till 5am reading this stuff and couldn't find a definitive answer
>>
>>4062897
>kv-36hs500
Just looked at the manual for that set, it upscales SD content, but it has three modes.

https://docs.sony.com/release//KV36HS500.pdf
(see pages 8, 62 and 63)

The Interlaced mode ***might*** enable the set to work with lightguns, but I don't have such as set to test. It is a stretch though, as there doesn't seem to be an off setting. Be sure to turn off all other features, including ClearEdge VM and select the Pro mode (turns of some image enhancements).

If you have an NES and zapper, you should definately take a shot at it. Probably won't work, but you never know!
>>
OP seems to have found a real treasure considering where it sounds like he lives.

>>4062047
Just be aware that this is an HS set so if you truly love it you should plan on using 60hz 640x480 ("EDTV"/480p) signals on it which will probably mean emulation for most /vr/ consoles other than Dreamcast. Get yourself a Wii, soft mod it, set it to 480p mode, use a simple scan line filter and you will have a very very similar experience to 240p just a bit sharper with less bloom although you can probably crank the brightness and get a nice amount. I get into arguments about this with hyperpurists but it's true, especially for someone like op. If his set has a DVI input he can probably use his PC quite easily for even more potential.

>>4062089
I had a CRT that went brap one time then it blew its apex seals and shit out a bunch of doritos. How are these /o/ memes landing? Any laughs?
>>
>>4062953
Don't assume my gender, pfff I'm joking yeah I live in the middle of the odds I had to have someone drive me about an hour to get it. Guy that had it almost chipped the screen loading it.... Glad I got it thought it really is something.
>>
>>4062915
Yeah when I have some more funds thats one of the first things I'm doing... I started out with just a retron 5, don't get me wrong I love that thing to prices but I also love original hardware. I was going to just stick the retron but I recently inherited a model 1 gensis, original Xbox, ps2, and SNES so I figured what the hell... Then I found this crt for dirt cheap and the rest is going to just fall into line
>>
>>4062964
Is not going to work with raster light guns don't waste your money. What you want to do is get it hooked up via that DVI port I just checked that it has into your PC assuming you're not a phoneposter. Even the type of gaming PC you can buy for the ~$100 you'd pay these days for an NES set with a zapper and Duck Hunt is going to push all the native resolutions that display supports at smooth 60hz framerates for every single /vr/ console including Dreamcast (caveat N64 emulation is shit for everyone outside the core library).
>>
>>4062047
You goofed.

I got one of these because GC, PS2, and XBawx looked great on it. I mistakenly thought that retro would too, and even went so far as to acquire a 34XBR960. WHile anything from 6th gen up does indeed look sweet, 5th gen down looks just like any other HDTV (ie.dog-ass because it will automatically line double or interlace).

Also, why can't people keep this shit to CRT general?
>>
>>4062953
>less bloom although you can probably crank the brightness and get a nice amount

Brightness ain't gonna do shit except turn the blacks grey. Contrast increase would bloom the highlights (and increase wear on the phosphors of course).
>>
>>4062047

I'm an electrical engineer and crt lover. Like another anon says, the bwong is just the tv degaussing.

If you have access to a crt monitor, hit degauss on that and I bet it will make a similar sound but not as loudly since it's a smaller machine.
>>
>>4062752
You could, y'know, fix the roof.
>mind blown
>>
>>4063234
>fix the roof.
And risk getting bitten by the monkeys? No way.
>>
>>4062108
Posts like these make me feel old as fuck, and I'm not even 30.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.