[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SNES vs. Mega Drive/CD vs. PC Engine/CD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 4thgen.jpg (218KB, 1350x850px) Image search: [Google]
4thgen.jpg
218KB, 1350x850px
Who really won the fourth gen in terms of overall library quality?
>>
We never had this thread before.
>>
>>4061571
because most people haven't played a pc engine apart from Rondo, Splatterhouse or Ys

I think general opinion would be SNES>=Genesis>PCE

Personally, I go for
SNES>=PCE>Genesis

I have a strong preference for platformers, with shooters second. I like PCE more than Genny because of its action RPG's and shooters
>>
>>4061568
PC Engine, duh. Even if all you had was the port of Elite it'd be the best of the three.
>>
SNES>MD>PCE

16-bit was the best era video games ever had anyway, there's no wrong choice.
>>
SNES if you like RPGs and fighting games, genesis if you like platformers and beat em ups, PCE if you like shooters.

But honestly what >>4061589 said, there's no point in picking a "winner" when you'd be stupid not to enjoy them all when they're all so readily available.
>>
>>4061568
kind of want to say Genesis > SNES > PCE

like, I'm not a major fan of the SNES library and a lot of the really big names on it are games I don't feel like playing for very long
the Genesis library is filled with too much utter trash though, random SNES shovelware is quite a bit better than random Genesis shovelware as a whole, and there's more games and more big name iconic games on the SNES, and multiplats were often better on SNES -- but again, I routinely find myself playing more Genesis stuff than SNES stuff, releases on it had more of a pick-up-and-play action sort of design
Sega CD doesn't add too much for the Genesis, although Silpheed is cool as fuck. There's more, but I don't really care about them. Soul Star is gorgeous, but boring as hell from what I remember.
and there's only a handful of PCE games I care about, but that might be just sheer inexperience with the library, most of the best stuff is apparently on CD and I've played all of two PCE-CD games ever (the Valis 1 remake, which kind of sucks despite probably being the best Valis, and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire, which I remember as just okay, but it's been ages)

really, this makes me wonder what the best PCE stuff is, no one fucking talks about that machine
>>
>>4061568

i know its not on the list but, neo geo.

other than that for me it'd be genesis, then probably pc then snes. but thats just because my preference is fighting/shooters.
>>
>>4061910
I love the Neo, but the library is too small and non-diverse for that.
So, you end up with a really tight handful of great games, and then a bunch of ultimately redundant ones (like, there's no reason to play KOF97 when 98 exists, unless you're a fucking Chinese).

There's also nearly no really bad Neo games though.
Offhand, I can think of Super Spy (the idea is cool, the execution is trash and the game is a fucking chore to play) and Riding Hero (awful AI mechanics and is hideously difficult for no real reason -- was surprised that there wasn't ever another linescroll racer on the machine though). There's probably more, but those spring to mind.
>>
>>4061903
>really, this makes me wonder what the best PCE stuff is, no one fucking talks about that machine

>really, this makes me wonder what the best PCE stuff is, no one fucking talks about that machine

The PCE was such a flop in America that literally no one talks about it asides from Castlevania Rondo of Blood or Bomberman 94

It's a very good console, has a smaller library than the SNES and Genesis but is extremely good at shooters and RPGs. It's selection of platformers is weak but not exactly bad. It's known for a lot of arcade ports, and tons of the best games were on the CD platform

Here's some recommendations to get you started

Hucard

>Bonk 2
>Bonk 1
>Air Zonk
>Coryoon
>New Adventure Island
>Bomberman 93
>Bomberman 94 (the best bomberman game)
>R-Type
>Soldier Blade
>Gradius
>Life Force (Salamander)
>Ninja Spirit
>Parasol Stars: Bubble Bobble III
>Super Dodgeball
>Street Fighter II Champion Edition
>Blazing Lazers
>Wonder Boy III: Dragon Trap
>Galaga 88
>Splatterhouse
>Legendary Axe
>Shinobi
>Fantasy Zone
>Outrun

CD (I don't know it too well b/c so many games are in Japanese)

>Gate of Thunder
>Lord of Thunder
>Ys I and II
>Ys III
>Ys IV: Dawn of Ys
>Legend of Xanadu I (translation coming out soon)
>Legend of Xanadu II (translation coming out soon)
>Castlevania Rondo of Blood
>River City Ransom
>Super Darius
>Super Darius II
>Rainbow Islands
>Forgotten Worlds
>Fatal Fury Special
>Gradius II
>Blood Gear
>Puyo Puyo
>Puyo Puyo Tsu
>>
>>4062431
Dungeon Explorer is my number one pce game. 1-5 player dungeon rpg crawler. DE2 was also good but I expected DE1 to be an every day game after how fun it was, then we barely got any of those games (I think because multi-tap games didn't take off until 5th gen and 6th gen)
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.