[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Input Lag/Dsiplay Lag Discussion Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 292vc7a.jpg (72KB, 785x605px) Image search: [Google]
292vc7a.jpg
72KB, 785x605px
If you've never played pic related on a snes with a crt, can you really say that you know how mario controls and how the game feels? I won't argue that you can say you beat the game because input lag makes things more difficult, but for example, could you properly review the game and critique anything about the controls or the handling of the game at all?

Why does Nintendo's re-releases of their old titles often include lag? Is it something inherent to emulation? I own essentially every format that mario world was released in and even today the least laggy re-release is the gba port.

When I play the game on the new 3ds vc it feels responsive and fun but when I eventually play on the snes again It feels vastly more responsive. Even though in theory the lag is negligible on the 3DS, the original it still feels like unmatched perfection in my hands. I feel like I can be more precise, take more risks in platforming in the game, etc.
>>
>>4060930
agree
>>
>>4060930
it's all in your head
>>
I played it that way 20 years ago.
>>
>>4060930
Brain also has input lag. How to remove?
>>
>>4060930
There's a lot to it. Read this: https://byuu.org/articles/latency/
>>
>>4060930
You would have to be real underaged to have never played Mario proper
>>
>>4061257
that's the point though, latency ruins games and people playing smw for the first time today are mostly emulating, so they will consequentially think it's a worse game. Ever played smw on wii u vc?
>>
>>4060982
This
>>
>>4061275

So is there any solution for playing it without lag on a PC?
>>
>>4061275
I played SMW on the wii u vc at my girlfriend's house on her 120 hz tv and the game was unplayable because of the tv's post processing introducing severe lag, however if I force myself to look at the screen on the wii u controller itself it seemed ok.
It also concerned me that if someone were playing the game that way for the first time they would not know that the controls were off and would simply think that it was very hard to control. There may be a whole generation of younger gamers growing up thinking that old games are harder than they actually are because of stuff like this.
>>
>>4061205
Ask your doctor to install a crt filter so you can enjoy life the way the developers intended
>>
>>4061275
>>4061383

A different amount of time for control presses to go through only seems bad if you're used to it the original way. It won't seem bad to players who are playing it for the first time in that new environment because they won't have any old muscle memory to conflict with it. Unless it's something crazy like you're waiting multiple seconds before the control presses go through none of the different locations on the input time spectrum are objectively better. You just get used to whichever way it is when you first play it and then everything different from that first way seems bad because it goes against your expectations.
>>
>>4061303
Nope. A CRT will eliminate a lot of it though.
>>
>>4061232
very interesting read, sums things up well.

>So when you combine the disadvantages of moving from dedicated old hardware to all of the layers of indirection required both by multi-tasking PCs in general in addition to the emulator-specific latency that is required to emulate hardware platforms ... this makes up the total sum of perceived latency in emulators. And it's why emulation can never come close to the responsiveness of real hardware.
>>
Input lag or not, you're still shit at games.
>>
>>4061232
byuu doesn't know what he's talking about. There are things like GroovyMAME that can get <1 frame latency with frame delay and avoiding flip queues.

Higan doesn't even support exclusive fullscreen, which means you can't bypass desktop composition on newer Windows so there's extra lag.
>>
>>4061579
higan can be ran under retroarch though which does support exclusive fullscreen.
>>
>>4061205
/k/
>>
>>4061579
not to mention things like lakka where the emulator is basically the only thing the hardware is doing.
>>
There is certainly something a tad off about the emulation. It's juuuust wrong enough for me to cut it close with jumps I should be (and have been) making with my eyes closed. Its not game breaking and I can get used to it but my muscle memory has it one way and the game plays ever so slightly off from it and it's irritating.
>>
/vr/, you seem like you would know this. How do I output my snes in VGA? Do I need a scart cable with a VGA adapter?
>>
>>4061663
You need a PC and an emulator
>>
>>4061663
i think retroarch can do that
>>
>>4060930
eh i played DKC on a cfw ps3 emulator on my crt, felt same as snes itself
>>
I have an LG OLED and a Mitsubishi CRT, and don't really notice any difference.

The exception is when I play bullet hell games, then I do notice it a little. But otherwise, if there is a difference, then it's negligible. (To me anyway)

It's important to have your tv setup correctly. Gotta change picture settings to game mode. Or if your tv has a PC picture setting try that, as my tv has less input lag on PC setting than game setting. Also turn off power saving.

A suprising amount of people forget to do this stuff.

Also from what I've heard (have no idea if this is true or not) size matters too. The bigger the screen, the more lag.
>>
>>4061434
>You just get used to whichever way it is when you first play it and then everything different from that first way seems bad because it goes against your expectations.

So you're saying someone who grew up on input lag will think playing with more responsive controls is less fun?
>>
>>4061670
>>4061671
Good memes friends. But in all seriousness, i am trying to get optimal responsiveness so using the original hardware is non-negotiable
>>
>>4061706
>Also from what I've heard (have no idea if this is true or not) size matters too. The bigger the screen, the more lag.

I used to own a 82" tv and can confirm this is true. Made all games unplayable unless the had built in lag adjust like Guitar Hero
>>
File: 1454967551880.png (9KB, 346x344px) Image search: [Google]
1454967551880.png
9KB, 346x344px
>>4061717
>i am trying to get optimal responsiveness so using the original hardware is non-negotiable
>>
>>4061730
What doesnt make sense about that?

All emulators have several layers of indirection. Thats the point. They are a system within a system. Original hardware will always have less lag than emulators.
>>
>>4061383

You can turn off the post processing shit on 120hz+ panels.
>>
>>4061710

Yes. If you get used to a certain amount of lag and then some of that lag is removed it'll feel wrong, at least until you get used to playing with the new lesser amount of lag. It's the difference from what you get used to that makes it feel bad, not the lag in itself unless the lag is something ridiculous like five seconds long to where you physically can't even play the game.
>>
>>4061205
You can't.

This is exactly why I could never play a Summoner build with Necromancer in Diablo II. There are too many things moving on screen at the same time for me to process it all, and the result is I that feel like I'm looking at a puddle of vomit. Not outright nauseating, but certainly not worthy of my time.
>>
>>4063052
Sounds more like you'd want multi threading there instead of reduced input lag.
>>
>>4060930
>If you've never played pic related on a snes with a crt, can you really say that you know how mario controls and how the game feels?
NO
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.