[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marathon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Marathon Infinity - wallpaper.jpg (684KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Marathon Infinity - wallpaper.jpg
684KB, 1600x1200px
Perhaps the greatest game of all time in my book. The physics of the game are campy, however the story that spans the 3 games is quite impressive in depth of history to the areas you discover as well as the underlying plot lines.
>>
Calling it the greatest game of all time is quite the stretch, but I do love the Marathon games. I just wish M2 and M3 had background music during the levels. It made many of the levels kinda boring to play imo.
>>
>>4059391
tfw aleph one is shit
>>
Playing the first game on Mac using a modern WASD setup would not be bad if it wasn't for the fact that looking down stops the player. M1A1 is more enjoyable (despite literally being a "duct tape" hack job)

At least M2 is more tolerable, but you still have to use the keyboard to alternate fire.

I actually enjoy playing infinity on my G3 than playing it on A1.
>>
I don't know much about Doom mapping, but how hard would it be to recreate the Marathon games in the Doom engine?
>>
>>4059859
>>4059884

I always hear aleph one is bad, but why?

Can someone list some critical bugs or inaccuracies?
>>
>>4060312
The shitty mouse controls for starters.
>>
>>4059391
I agree
>>
File: nanosaur.jpg (37KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
nanosaur.jpg
37KB, 512x384px
>>4060312
It's just really unpolished for a project that's been open sourced for quite a number of years. The biggest issue being is that there is no raw mouse input. And by default the sensitivities for the Z and Y axis don't match up, creating a real inconsistency.

It you are used to playing games like doom and quake, where you have 1:1 mouse controls and you can zip around and it feels really tight, than Marathon as played via the Aleph One source port will feel gross. I recently picked up an Imac G3 to play around with as I remember using them in primary school to play things like Nanosaur and Bugdom, So I'm keen to install Marathon on there and see how it runs in a native mac environment.
>>
File: M1L29.gif (28KB, 362x333px) Image search: [Google]
M1L29.gif
28KB, 362x333px
>>4059935
The Marathon engine supported what Bungie called "5d" space. Meaning you could make a square room with an L shaped exit intersecting back inside that room, but being a completely different area. I realize they probably weren't the first to think of this, but I don't know if Doom is capable of doing non strict 3d maps.
>>
>>4061882
You can fake it in doom mapping with sector changes, which is essential what marathon does.
>>
>>4061882
You can't do this in the stock Doom engine, but you could fake it in Boom or other enhanced ports.
I remember playing this map against someone and they were impressed for all of five minutes, and then annoyed as hell.
>>
>>4060526
turning off accelerate mouse fixes most of the problems with mouse look in A1
>>
File: MANORWOMAN.png (151KB, 252x315px) Image search: [Google]
MANORWOMAN.png
151KB, 252x315px
>>4059391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dgT0vx3dis
>>
>>4060312
The mouse controls are violently terrible, you have to back out of the game entirely to go to the Options menu if you want to tweak your settings, the FPS is capped to 30 (yes, this is the original game FPS, but Doom source ports prove you can interpolate between gametics to create better framerates without breaking gameplay), the default FOV setting triggers nausea in most of the human populace and you can't change it without a script mod, the main menu is in a much tinier window in Windowed Mode, the developers have a habit of removing old enhancements and breaking mods, and the code under the hood is a trainwreck of 90s-era optimisations that make the engine run slower on modern hardware and drive anyone who wants to try and fix this hot mess insane.

hth
>>
>>4061863
Fucking Nanosaur. That overworld theme will never leave my brain.
>>
>>4061912
You CAN do that in Doom engine via BSP tree manipulations, aka Linguica-portals.

>>4059391
Played through all 3 recently. Level design is terrible, and palette color clashes gave me headache. Story was complex for the sake of complexity, and that is not as good as people make it out to be. Gameplay is rather booring.
>>
>>4062140
kill yourself.
>>
>>4059391
To bad the original designers couldn't make a map that didn't devolve into a hideous fucking maze
>>
>>4064164
some people like hideous fucking mazes
>>
Why'd they steal the Tau emblem from WH40K though?
>>
>>4059391
>story
you mean a random collection of references to appear "deep"
>>
>>4065548
Some people like to fuck animals too.
>>
>>4059853
There's fan soundtracks for that. I think they're on simplici7y
>>
>>4059391
Not sure I can objectively say Marathon is the greatest vidya series of all time but I can definitely say it's one of my favorite. I'm always happy to see it brought it up, as I'm one of the rare modern Marathon fans. It's a niche game though. For the same reasons I might love Marathon, three others might hate it for the exact same reasons as well, as we can see ITT. It's to be expected, although I hate to be 'that guy' I think the people who are calling Marathon's story "overly complicated for the sake of being overly complicated" just didn't 'get' it, as it's really, really not that complicated, it's just told over a long span and there's a good bit of information you need to remember. My only complaint with the series would be
>Needed more enemy variety
>Pistols are too weak, even when dual-wielded they're just not good, making most playthrough consist of almost exclusively Assault Rifle+Fusion Pistol because Shotgun and Rocket ammo are uncommon
Not really a complaint but an idea I had
>Infinity should be truly non-linear and not have an actual ending, but just loops through timelines. This would have acquired a good bit of additional levels added to make possible though
>>
>>4066325
You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>4066441
Anyone calling Marathon's story a collection of random references is either too dumb to converse with or simply did not play Marathon at all.
>>
>>4066449
I can't even recall any references except for the brief bits about Charlemagne and his knights knights, which makes sense in-universe because it's Durandal's namesake.
>>
File: Capture.png (58KB, 643x327px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
58KB, 643x327px
>>4066458
He could possibly be referencing the short story in the dream levels of Infinity, but lmao, they're literally dreams. The information in these levels is supposed to be cryptic and not make much sense, it's a fucking dream.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.