[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 essentials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

I recently got into collecting for the N64, what are some must haves that I'm missing?

Currently have:
Banjo
Body Harvest
Castlevania Legacy of Darkness
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong
F-Zero
Gauntlet Legends
Mario Kart
Mario Party 2
Mischief Makers
Namco Museum
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Ogre Battle
Mario 64
Smash Bros
Star Fox
Some wrasslin games
Both Zeldas

I already have Rare Replay, so I don't need any of the Rare games.
>>
>>4059083
An Everdrive. W/e the current best stick replacement is. RGB mod (fuck the hdmimod it's trash). Other than that just some preventive maintenance. Which is a pain in the ass with the N64.
>>
>>4059083
Have you expanded your memory yet?
>>
>>4059089
I'm a good boy, so no pirating for me. Will look into the other stuff tho, thanks.

>>4059102
Yes
>>
>>4059107
If you're starting to collect for n64, don't. The games are really fucking expensive nowadays. I would get an everdrive so you could test out games and buy what you want though.
>>
>>4059107
Buy the games too. I use everdrives for convenience more than for pirating. Never have to remove the cart. I have to think that will greatly prolong the console's lifetime also.

You get access to Jap games and translation patches also.
>>
>>4059110
>>4059112
That's a fair enough reason, I guess I'll look into it, especially if I can play some Jap games.
>>
>>4059083
if you're really into F-Zero you can get a DD and get the track maker
>>
No Blast Corps? For shame, Anon. Some of the later levels get hard as duck though, especially if you're going for the gold medals.
>>
File: GoemonGAplayers.png (137KB, 576x450px) Image search: [Google]
GoemonGAplayers.png
137KB, 576x450px
Both Goemon games on the 64 are amazing.
>>
>>4059083
Guitar Hero 64
>>
turok 1/2/rage wars
>>
>>4059083
wave race
>>
>>4059282

>>4059282

time to GET MOVING !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRG6rLzWpI
>>
Star Soldier - Vanishing Earth is the only n64 game I enjoy as a 1player game. With friends Golden Eye is a must.

N64 is probably my least favorite console. But those two games are bloody aces
>>
also Resident Evil 2 if you want an expensive sought after game that kills you in the first 20 seconds.
>>
Grand Theft Auto 64
>>
File: wat.png (783KB, 802x523px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
783KB, 802x523px
>>4059110
>The games are really fucking expensive nowadays.
Are you homeless or something?
>>
>>4059686
All of the games I want are expensive at least.
>>
>>4059686
lol this. most the games are cheap with the exception of a few
>>
>>4059083
doom 64
turok 1 &2
goldeneye 007
tony hawk pro skater 2
perfect dark
hexen
>>
>>4059083
Shadowman 64 was not a perfect game but it was the perfect example of a metroidvania game for the console at the time. Might be worth a try, the lore is cool as hell.
>>
>>4059406
what is it with text on N64 and always looking like garbage?
>>
>>4060037
aliasing on a really low resolution font.
>>
>>4060037
That's an emulator screenshot not a fucking N64 screenshot.
>>
>>4059530
that's the probably worst Star Soldier game though
>>
>>4060039
Yeah, I guess it looks a little better with the AA turned off via gameshark, but I don't have the mod to remove it completely.
>>4060043
Well, looks about the same on N64 on RGB.
>>
>>4059089
>W/e the current best stick replacement is
Which is? Steel Sticks seems like one of those things that will never actually be available

>RGB mod (fuck the hdmimod it's trash)
Really? I thought ultrahdmi was universally praised. I'll stand corrected though
>>
>>4060037
It's more like shitty emulation.

>>4060063
UltraHDMI is good. There's just a few buttmad people on here are who upset new technology made their RGB mods only second best.
>>
Protip: region mod your console. Pull out the light grey plastic piece below the dust flaps, nip off the corners with a dremel or something, reinstall. Save yourself a few dollars down the road.
>>
>>4059686
>>4059703
I think he was talking about N64 games in America. They're still incredibly cheap in Europe -for now that is cause it wouldn't surprise me if most of them will become as ridiculous as (S)NES ones in the near future.
>>
File: GGAcostumes.png (298KB, 372x700px) Image search: [Google]
GGAcostumes.png
298KB, 372x700px
>>4060037
It's an upscaled screenshot, original is 240p.
>>
>>4060063
>>4060189
>over a frame of lag
>good
It doesn't do a very good job of upscaling either.
>>
>>4059083

Add Wace Race 64.

It's a gem
>>
>>4059107
>no pirating
then go buy the re-releases and not original shit, nobody but some faggot on ebay is making money off you buying used shit, anon.
>>
Bomberman 64

shit was cash as a kid
>>
>>4060047
indeed! But it's my fav on the 64. Star Soldier for life!
>>
>>4060619
Are you ok? You seem unreasonably upset.
>>
The N64 has a surprisingly strong FPS library, an area were the PSX is lacking
>>
1080° Snowboarding is an excellent game.
>>
Dude get the legend of Zelda games there awesome
>>
>>4060640
all three bomberman games were on point
>>
Jet Force Gemini
South Park 64 (the multiplayer is pretty fun)
>>
>>4060268
I'm more a fan of replacing the backs of import cartridges with the ones from shitty sports games, since those are super cheap and the mod is nondestructive.
>>
get thatr racing game with the song that goess aaaAAaa WAAA WOOH WAA WOO
>>
>>4059083
Pokemon Stadium 2, assuming you're into that.
>>
>>4060047
But it's literally the only shmup on the system. Gotta have something
>>
>>4060047
N64 Star Soldier is a fucking insult, especially as a direct sequel to Soldier Blade
>>
>>4062164
There's also Stadium 1 which is more affordable and still pretty good. Has a lot of good single-player challenge and a good array of multiplayer options and rules.
>>4062405
There's also Dezaemon 3D, and not a traditional shmup but still within the genre's range, Bangai-O.
Bangai-O showed that good shmups could have been done on the n64, but I guess by the time it was just cheaper to release those on CD systems, and focus on 3D for N64.
There's also the remake of Space Invaders, also released on PS1, but I haven't played either version. Looks like a good enough remake/reimagination, Art direction is a bit gritty though.
>>
File: yvrsy.jpg (57KB, 790x534px) Image search: [Google]
yvrsy.jpg
57KB, 790x534px
>>4059686
>tfw avoiding Nazi hunters in Australia
>tfw all retro vidya sold at jewy re-sellers and 'muh nostalgia' prices
>tfw y'all don't know how cheapenschlagen ur vidya is
>tfw this is mein new kampf
>>
File: Robotron64.jpg (44KB, 640x468px) Image search: [Google]
Robotron64.jpg
44KB, 640x468px
You need Robotron 64.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-k6kMu170
>>
File: IMG_0539.png (181KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0539.png
181KB, 600x600px
>>4063476
The tfw don't live on the west coast: cali, oregon, washington.

Only old games at brick and mortar stores are old Madden and NCAA games.

Have to buy on ebay

Have to pay ebay prices

Get jew'd out of all my money

Cali fags are paying 1/4th the prices I'm paying

Hurts my wallet man.jpg
>>
>>4063512
Trust me, Califags have it worse. There's yard sales you can get to, I've been to some storage unit stores (Yeah, they do that here) but the prices aren't that much better.
Very rarely do you find someone who's selling a game at a decent price.
>>
>>4059549
play on easy mode and/or with the infinite ammo and invincibility codes.
>>
Snowboard Kids (especially 2)
It's a take on the Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing formula but less "RNG blue shell decides you lose" and more "we expect you not to make major mistakes because we're not going to coddle you", and a nice amount of difficulty/unlockables.
>>
Pilotwings 64
While manuevering around a 3D environment is less dazzling now than it was in 1996, the gameplay is still solid, and the music is both funky and soothing. Instead of being a high-octane EXTREME SPORTS of the time, playing this game is strangely relaxing.
I would always like to take my vehicle of choice to free roam explore around the levels, creating my own little storyline for why this building is all the way out here compared to the rest of the town, or just exploring high up on the harshest most isolated parts of a mountain and pretending this is where I would hide my treasure or something. Unlike open world stuff of today you could completely explore a place in an hour and have that sense of completion that you mapped it out yourself, and would be more familiar with it in the objective levels. I was definitely a kid when I played it so if you don't like to splash in your own creativity to a game it may not be your thing.
>>
>>4062703
op already has stadium 1
>>
>>4059083
Harvest Moon 64 is pretty awesome. I sunk hours into that game as a kid.
>>
>>4059083
Here's a few

Fighters' Destiny
Tetrisphere
Wave Race 64 (come on, you seriously don't have this??)
1080 Snowboarding
Resident Evil 2
Kirby 64
Bomberman 64
Jet Force Gemini
Goldeneye 007 (Come on, you gotta get this)
Perfect Dark
Excitebike 64 (this is seriously awesome)
Buck Bumble
Crusin' USA
Top Gear Rally
Snowboard Kids
Turok (my favourite is the first game)
Shadows of the Empire
Blast Corps
>>
Snowboard Kids
>>
File: N64_-_Sin_&_Punishment.jpg (84KB, 250x348px) Image search: [Google]
N64_-_Sin_&_Punishment.jpg
84KB, 250x348px
This was my first N64 import back in 2003. Still one of my favorite games of all time.
>>
>>4059083
Must have is a spare ram when one shits out.
>>
>>4059083
Wonder project 64
>>
Does anyone have either of the Goemon games they'd be willing to trade ? I've recently come to the realization that all I care about, as far as physical carts go, is N64. I have a lot of games/boxes/manuals across the board that I can trade for them.
>>
I agree with >>4063938 wave racer 64 is the best racer on the system. Based announcer, amazing music and amazing gameplay. Its the few 64 games i still care about.
>>
>>4059083
Army Men Sarges Heroes/2
Battletanx Global Assault
Clay Fighter 63 1/3, Sculptors Cut if you don't mind that it'll be a bootleg
Extreme G
Iggy's Wrecking Balls
Kirby 64
Lego Racers
Mario Tennis (based Camelot really nailed the music here)
Toy Story 2
Vigilants 8
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.