[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quick RPGs?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 4

File: FF4_WT_Bc.jpg (31KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
FF4_WT_Bc.jpg
31KB, 256x223px
Any good RPGs that will take quite quick to finish, like no more than 20 hrs? Will FF4, Chrono Trigger and Fire Emblem GBA be quick?
>>
Anything pre-PS1 is fine. If you want something especially short, try Live-A-Live.
>>
Chrono Trigger is 20 hours long and goes even faster if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>4058101
Most things on nes or snes. Jrpgs got longer around fifth gen as people were getting sick of shorter games. If you tried to release games that were only an hour or two in the third or forth gen no one cared, around fifth gen it became looked down upon for a game to be that short.
>>
>>4058101
FE7 GBA is about 20 hours, but you have to sit through the shitty tutorial if it's your first time playing, which makes it about 1 hour longer than it should.

Protip: Hector Oswin and Marcus are the three best units in the game.
>>
If your emulating on znes just use the fast forward with tab. You can skip long ass dialog and it makes grinding simple as long as you watch your health.

Honeslty the fast forward function makes snes rpgs actually enjoyable rather than repative and boring.
>>
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
>>
>>4058308

>MFW there are people using zsnes in 2017 instead of snes9x or higan
>>
>>4058308

>skip the dialogue
>skip the battles
>skip the grinding
>skip exploring the world map

Why are you even playing JRPGs if you hate them so much?
>>
>>4058357
Technically speeding up ain't skipping.
>>
>>4058360

At that point, you're even below the "just watch a playthrough on youtube" crowd. You don't even get to experience the game's OST.
>>
>>4058373
>You don't even get to experience the game's OST.
That's a good point actually, fast forwarded music sounds like shit. But I respectfully disagree, of course fast forwarding is better than watching youtube playthroughs.
>>
>>4058120
The length of the game is one reason I like it so much. It doesn't seem overwhelming, but you get a lot out of it. Granted, it is quite linear, even with all the different endings.
>>
>>4058101
CT is a good picks for short RPG, but I remember FF4 to be pretty long.

Some good picks are the first Suikoden, Vandal Hearts and FFVII -if you skip sidequests- for PS1.
Phantasy Star IV is rather streamlined too.

When it comes to older stuff, the first Dragon Quest and Radia to Senki for NES fits the bill.
>>
>>4058101
Panzer Dragoon Saga is about 15 hours long.
Dragon quest games are about 1 hour long if you cut out the grinding with an action replay code.
>>
>>4058101
If you don't want to spend too much time on RPGs (whether they're western or japanese) then you might as well not play them at all. Even the shortest ones might take you a while if you're running them blindly.

Besides, there's no rule you gotta beat them as soon as possible. Just take your time with them. Believe me, they'll be much more enjoyable than if you try to speed through them or to clear a backlog.
>>
>>4058101
Final fantasy 4 is a 20 hour RPG,
I'd go so far and say 5 is as well if you have some knowledge beforehand
>>
Rhapsody a musical adventure is very fun rather shot and very simple I'd recommend it highly
>>
>>4058308
>skipping long ass dialogue
I hate people like you
>>
>>4058308
>everything about this post
Kill yourself
>>
Super Mario RPG is quick and good if you haven't played it yet.
>>
>>4058626
Came here to say this. I think it took me about 10 hours to beat.
>>
>>4058621
>Final fantasy 4 is a 20 hour RPG,

maybe if it's your second or third playthrough. A first time playthrough will take the majority of gamers closer to 40 hours to finish
>>
>>4058539
Dragon Warrior? you're joking, right? I played the GBC version which is supposedly easier because monster drop more exp and gold, and it still was a fucking slog. There's so much grinding needed to get the neccessary gold to buy better equipment, and god forbid you get killed, you get sent back all the way to the kin's chamber and you lose half your gold
>>
OP here. I just discovered a site called howlongtobeatit.com. Is it a reliable site for what I'm looking for? According to the site...

>CT = 23hrs
>FF4 = 23h
>Rhapsody = 9.5h
>Suikoden = 20.5h
>DQ = 11h
>SMRPG = 16h
>>
>>4059003
NES games in general were brutally hard
>>
The Pokemon games are all pretty short too, but most of them make up for it with a lot of postgame content.
>>
>>4059010
It's an okay source for approximates. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not, for example my first ever Suikoden 1 playthrough took only like 15 hours.
>>
>>4059010
It's vaguely on the mark, but it'll depend in part on the player. My first CT playthrough was 18 hours with all the sidequests.
>>
>>4059010
It factors in dead time aka when you go to eat or use the restroom and also assumed you're reading and playing at the slowest speed you can. Take the time, multiply by .85, and you have what is your typical average playtime if you're a quick reader and catch onto mechanics quickly.
>>
how about extremely short RPGs, like 15 hours absolute maximum??

IMO it's hard to keep focused on a turned based rpg for longer than that
>>
>>4058308
I understand skipping grinding but why would you skip dialogue? Unless you mean speeding up dialogue that naturally scrolls very slowly.
>>
>>4059057
Saga Frontier, each route except arguably t260 is very short
>>
Dragon quest 1 took me 10 hours with fast forward but it's not very fun so
>>
>>4059057
Final Fantasy Legend I and II.
>>
>>4058101
Xenogears.
>>
>>4059057
>IMO it's hard to keep focused on a turned based rpg for longer than that
Says who? Nigger I beat Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana while taking my sweet ass time and it was around 50 hours total at the end, maybe even more and I can't even check because I lost my save file. That game was enjoyable and charming as fuck, loved the small interactions here and there and how the story progressed steadily. If you actually try to care about what is going on and the characters or the story is engaging then it doesn't matter how long it takes.
>>
>>4060064
Now that I think about it, I may have clocked up to 100 hours playing it.
>>
>>4060064
>Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
NOT RETRO FUCK OFF
>>
>>4058101
RPGs that can probably be beaten in less than 20 hours by a casual:
Chocobo's Dungeon 2
Azure Dreams
Parasite Eve
Any "King's Field" game
Shadow Tower
Threads of Fate
Brave Fencer Musashi
Chrono Trigger
Probably not FF4
Fire Emblem will feel like it's 50+ hours even if it's less
Live-a-Live
Almost any RPG on the Gameboy
The Dark Lord/Dark Law trilogy
The Gaia Trilogy that starts with Soul Blazer
Granstream Saga is pretty quick too
Saga Frontier is really fast each playthrough though you might get stuck before you get used to the game
Ys III is short
so is Ys I and Ys II

idk theres some other stuff I guess
>>
>>4060064
it's an opinion dude. I mostly enjoy rpgs for the battle system and it's progression throughout the game, usually gets old after 10-15 hours.
>>
>>4058747
How? What are you even doing for 40 hours? It takes more like 15 hours on the replay, doing everything there is to do.
>>
>>4060110
early Fromsoft games are closer to 30-35 hours unless you already know what to do and where to go, and the layout of the areas.

The first time I played King's Field 1(2JP), it took me over 30 hours. That game is impenetrable for the first 10 hours.
>>
File: 1461444486140.jpg (14KB, 261x217px) Image search: [Google]
1461444486140.jpg
14KB, 261x217px
>>4060120
Some of the oldest RPGs tend to be shorter, some even can be finished after a couple of hours even (Famicom games) but I believe that the longer the RPG the more enjoyable the battle system. There are early level spells and skills, shit that you need to use in the middle of the game and then the stuff that is necessary for the last parts of the games. Side quests and tons of other stuff can extend the duration of the game so I try to do everything while I can.
You can't just say you enjoy the battle system for a certain amount of time because new shit is introduced all the time in RPGs the longer you play.
Baten Kaitos introduced new cards in every new area of the game and even old cards turned into something different after a few hours of gameplay like the Milk card turning into Cheesee and Bamboo turning into Paper etc YEAH I KNOW NOT RETRO FUCK YOU
>>
>>4059080
You're playing the burgerized versions anyway, so what's the point?
>>
>>4059010
I've found that the time estimates on GameFAQs were usually more accurate than HLTB.
>>
Live-A-Live is broken up jnto short scenarios. Play one, then another when you have time.
>>
>>4060751
*into
>>
>>4060110
>casual
>roguelikes
>>
>>4058101
Sacred stones is shorter than FE7
>>
>>4060753
r/GrammarNazi
>>
>>4060110
>Fire Emblem will feel like it's 50+ hours even if it's less

Why?
>>
>>4061732
Maybe he resets a lot for RNG.
>>
>>4059057
RPG Maker games.
>>
>>4058101
Most SNES and PS1 RPG's are way shorter than you remember:

>FF4
>Beat it in 14 hours

>Secret of Mana
>13 hours

>Chrono Trigger
>13 and a half hours

>Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
>8 and a half hours

>Lufia and the Fortress of Grinding
>16 and a half hours

>Final Fantasy 7
>20 hours

>Final Fantasy 8
>27 hours (although, I did grind for a disc 1 lionheart, which took a long ass time)
>>
I'd suggest SaGa Frontier for the PSX. It's broken up into seven chapters, each one isn't too long but plays like a sped up RPG.
>>
>>4058101
If you're willing to dip into the PC library, Fallout 1 can be finished in an afternoon. Of course, your first playthrough won't be nearly quite as fast, but FO1 is one of the most decisively "compact" RPGs I've played. Compared to the bloat featured in some games (mostly BioWare), FO1 is pretty short, sweet, and to the point.

Might & Magic 3 is in the same league.
>>
>>4058101
Dragon Warrior/Quest 1 for the NES
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Crystalis for the NES
Diablo 1
>>
>>4062558
Might and Magic 3 is a very long game to someone that has never played it before. I can beat it quickly but I grew up on the old Might and Magic games and beat them many times.
>>
>>4059057
Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam: Gaiden
>>
>>4063064
Thanks for reminding me about this. My laptop couldn't handle Game Maker so I'll give it another chance.
>>
>>4063087
>My laptop couldn't handle Game Maker
What? How?
>>
I like RPGS that aren't over 25 hours. The ones longer than that tend to focus on story and the story at that point seems like padding to me. However I've only played FF 7,8,9 that had a game be > 25 hours so my opinion on this may be mute.
>>
>>4060145
What did you find "impenetrable" about them?

I'd say easily less than 15 if you are even slightly good at exploring.

Granted, using the in-game maps are slightly a pain in the ass, but the first two games aren't actually all that big. I think playing KF2 after beating the relatively simpler KF 1 (jpn) made my ability to progress smoothly in 2 so much easier.
>>
>>4059010
I found it very reliable. All games (except the ones I purposely took more time in playing) had the same finish time as I'd have taken to complete it.
>>
>>4063695
I've found I'm usually consistently faster than Howlongtobeat.
>>
File: Mai Costanza face.jpg (527KB, 1001x958px) Image search: [Google]
Mai Costanza face.jpg
527KB, 1001x958px
>>4058308
>2017
>Using ZSNES
>>
>>4063807
Must be a Brazilian. BRs are obsessed with ZSNES to this day.
>>
>>4059386
Especially fucking Lute's quest. I really wonder why they made his story so fucking short when it had the most potential to be the most interesting. I feel that that's a major flaw in terms of the game's story really.
>>
>>4059003
DQ1 takes a few hours to beat and it's fun. It's much more likely you'll beat a short grindy game then a 100-hour easy jrpg that gets boring as fuck.
>>
>>4062483
this is serious disinformation
>>
>>4058101
Super Mario RPG is a lot faster than I remember. I'm less than 2 hours into my save and I'm already onto the third island.

Chrono Trigger can be done quick if you know what you are doing, and of course, there's also the New Game + routes that can get you through the game in less than 4 hours.
>>
>>4062483
>Lufia and the Fortress of Grinding

That gave me a good chuckle. I played Lufia 2 first, so Lufia 1 was very underwhelming to me. On the bright side at least it's less grindy than Phantasy Star 2.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.