[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid: Samus Returns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

So it looks like we have another Another Metroid 2 Remake on our hands

Thoughts?
>>
If this had been released before AM2R I would have cared... maybe.
As it stands now we already have a beautiful pixel art remake that I've played through and enjoyed.
I will not be picking up this ugly official remake.
>>
>developed by the same creative geniuses behind Castlevania: Mirror of Fate
Dropped.
>>
>>4057648
I though that got c&d'd before it finished, or was it pretty much done?
>>
I'm glad it's not another Super rehash. Doesn't mean it'll be good, but it's the direction I want the series to go in.
>>
>>4057658
It had a 1.0 release.
There was a later bugfix patch to 1.1
>>
>>4057658
it was finished and the internet found a way
>>
>>4057653
Oh I didn't know that beforehand;
the trailer did remind me a lot of MoF
Mirror of Fate was pretty laggy on the 3DS, but the PS360 versions were a lot more playable which made for a decent game altogether
Hope that new metroid won't be as laggy as Mirror of Fate was...
>>
>>4057667
There's also a fanmade 1.2 that fixes more bugs and adds some extra modes (NG+/randomizer)
>>
>>4057672
Did you not notice how it's locked to 30FPS and drops to sub-20FPS even in the trailer? lol
>>
>>4057676
I did not know that, I might check out 1.2.

I know of a few things that were intentionally blocked off in 1.1 that looked like they would be expanded upon later.
>>
gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9_d0RUP8vU
>>
>>4057698
This looks badass as fuck.
>>
>>4057676
I just googled and found a 1.2.6

Is that the official latest version of the fan patch?
>>
>>4057745
https://www.reddit.com/r/AM2R/comments/6eh4uw/version_129/

This seems to be the latest. Last one I played was 1.2.4, so I don't know what all is in this.
>>
>>4057747
Thanks, I'll check it out later.
>>
I haven't played every retro game so idc
>>
>>4057804
Isn't Sonic Mania a new game that just uses pixel art?
>>
>>4057804
ports of retro games are allowed

new games are not
>>
>>4057819
Remakes are allowed.
>>
>>4057836
yes, this is correct
>>
>>4057846
>Sonic Mania is like a romhack,

Source: My supple, lithe, extravagant and sensual ass.
>>
>>4057698
>"To Planet S-R-3-8"
>"A reimagination"

Gamer Girlz.
>>
>>4057643
The official looks like the fan remake lol
>>
File: cringing.gif (591KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
cringing.gif
591KB, 480x270px
>>4057889
Yeeeeeep. She even called Samus a "he" at 9:27...
>>
>>4057969
I think she was referring to the player though
>>
>>4057969
>>4057975
she was talking about the metroid...
>>
Metroid 2 never needed a remake, so I'm concerned that it'll end up like Zero Mission.
>>
>>4057975
The player was also female.
>>
>>4058043
What? *Good*?

Don't worry anon. They'll fuck it up just fine.
>>
>>4058053
Just a couple months ago you were cumming over the AM2R like a bunch of squealing schoolgirls you fucking hypocrites.
>>
>>4058056
AM2R is good. This looks good too.
>>
>>4058059
Shut up, you aren't allowed to like two things at the same time. You have to pick one side and squeal at the other camp like a retard.
>>
>>4058068
In which case I'm gonna pick the 2D underdog. At least it's free.
>>
Remakes and remasters are shit. Original or suicide.
>>
>developed by MercurySteam
>aka the developer of the Castlevania Lords of Shadow games

Aiyah, Nintendo, if you're going to remake an old-school Metroid (that has already been remade well), at least do it in-house, with some R&D1 members on the project instead of some European dev-for-hire hacks. Sick and tired of Westerners handling older Japanese IPs and totally fucking them
>>
>>4058170
/thread
>>
>>4057643
Because I love Metroid 2 so much so I should love this game too.
>>
>>4058170
An American dev made what are considered some of the best games in the series, and a Japanese dev made the game that's considered one of the worst. While I agree ninty should be handling this in-house, western devs have served them pretty well in the past. also gives westerners a little credit, Contra 4 turned out great
>>
>>4058053
>What? *Good*?
No, bad. Metroid 2 doesn't need a bad "remake" like Zero Mission.
>>
>>4057954
You don't play a lot of modern games do you?

Shitty 3D is all the rage while nice pixel art is what the fans are doing.
>>
>>4058392
Fucking *did* Contra 4 turn out great? What with the stupid hook mechanic and the massive blind spot between the already hard to track dual screens? I wanted to like it but those things and what I thought to be uninspired presentation killed it for me. WayForward puts out 7-ish content at best and it was a low tier release from them.
>>
>>4058392
>also gives westerners a little credit, Contra 4 turned out great
Why do you cherrypick Contra 4 yet ignore the fact that westerners made the steaming piles of shit on the Playstation?

Also, 4 was nothing great compared to 1-3, HC or SS.
>>
>>4058398
ZM is great you philistine.
>>
>>4058410
It may be a fine game in spots, but it's a horrible "remake."
>>
>>4058392
Yes, Retro did a great job on Metroid Prime. But that's one good example compared to the dozens of misfires.
>>
>>4057643
Cautiously optimistic, I suppose. I want it to be good, and what I've seen so far looks interesting enough that I'm willing to give it a chance.

Sakamoto needs to fuck off, though. He's the George Lucas of Metroid.
>>
>>4057643
I sure as fuck hope they improve on the level design, because from what I've seen of the Game Reveal it looks even more linear than Fusion.
>>
>>4057698

I'm tired of all those awful "2.5D" remakes
>>
>>4057698
Why don't the use 2D anymore? Is pixel art doomed to die?
>>
>>4058506
2D is hard to do.
>>
>>4058509
More to the point, it's expensive to do it really well, and corporations are by nature cheap and lazy.
>>
Day 1 buy
>>
>>4058445

This. I want to give it a chance. But I just don't like what I see so far. It can only get worse if (or should I say when) they force content to be exclusive to amiibos.
>>
>>4058506
>pixel art
Stop it
And yes, 2D is doomed, too expensive
>>
>>4058392
Yet Retro consistently makes good games and Mercury is mediocre at best. And this just looks like Mirror of Fate 2. If you're going to outsource, at least give the ip to some legit good developers. Even IGA was a better option.
>>
File: msr.jpg (76KB, 1200x600px) Image search: [Google]
msr.jpg
76KB, 1200x600px
I fucking HATE the Amiibo but.. but..
>>
>>4058572
>Mirror of Fate is BAAAAAAAAD
This meme need to stop
Try to play MOF at hard
>>
>>4058584
Fuck it, call me a consumer whore, but I'm buying all of it. I don't care at all about the actual Amiibo functionality and doubt I'll ever use it... but a Metroid hatchling figurine is a thing that I need in my life. It's even squishy!
>>
>>4058586
Not "baaaaaad", just mediocre and pretty forgettable, but that wasn't my point.

Mirror of fate was a lineal hack and slash in 2D, that fit their GOW clones but I don't want it in my Metroid.
>>
After reading this thread, I bought a copy of Lord of Shadows Collection for $10 just so I can play Mirror of Fate HD

Good/bad/mediocre decision? It arrives in a week.
>>
>>4057643
There's no way in hell this is going to be as good as AM2R. Might buy it second-hand a couple years down the line if reviews are good.
>>
>>4058616
they're both shit
>>
>>4058616
Seems like they're taking a pretty different approach with it than AM2R did, so I think there's room for them to coexist. Provided MSR actually turns out to be good, of course.
>>
It's always going to be hard to have the same heart as the other sidescroller metroids, I don't think I'd even trust Nintendo to do it themselves anymore. But another 2d metroid is a good thing. I'm already stressed about some of the gimmicks they're throwing in, though. Can't tell if I should be.
>>
>>4058624
>I don't think I'd even trust Nintendo to do it themselves anymore.
If anything, I trust Nintendo (or more specifically Sakamoto) far less than some random Western dev when it comes to Metroid.

I'm not sure how to feel about the melee counters, but otherwise they appear to pretty much "get it" based on the footage we've seen so far, so it might be cool I dunno. Depends on the talent of their level designers.
>>
>>4058623
The 'different approach' is the modern Nintendo approach, ie. tutorial-heavy, over-the-top cinematics, poor art direction etc.
>>
>>4058638
Whoa! The game is already out?? Tell me more anon!

go back to your shitty fan made Metroid faggot
>>
>>4058506
3D models are easier to use, and thus they save time and money. Pixel art is more commonly found in indie games lately because those titles are generally a labor of love or somebody's pet project, while games made by bigger developers have to take things like a deadline and budget into account.

It's unfortunate, but that's just how it is sometimes.
>>
>>4058612
You only spent $10 dollars so even if it turns out to be a stinker it's nothing you wouldn't recover from.
>>
>>4058646
You can tell all of that from the hour of gameplay already released.
>>
>>4058506
It's harder to do now, more time consuming, and requires more artistic skill compared to shitting out a crappy low poly model and going from there.
>>
File: 1201894729193.jpg (152KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1201894729193.jpg
152KB, 750x1000px
>>4057643
This explain why they made him take down AM2R, they were developing this at the same time.

AM2R was pretty good, but I would still buy and play this one
>>
>tfw still have yet to play AM2R
Is it worth it?
>>
>>4059076
It's as good as the best 2D Metroids.
>>
>>4059076
If you like any other 2Dtroid, absolutely.
>>
Metroid: Samus Returns - Developer Diary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BCPx2SX7Hk

>>4059105
Minitroid is still my favorite. If only.
>>
File: insect.gif (388KB, 316x251px) Image search: [Google]
insect.gif
388KB, 316x251px
>>4059134
>Minitroid is still my favorite. If only.
You might enjoy Environmental Station Alpha, then. It goes for the oversized-pixels-indie-look, but atmosphere and gameplay seem to emulate the Metroid formula quite well. I've also heard positive comments about the soundtrack.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.