[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrated PC Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 8

File: Bx_face.jpg (85KB, 538x700px) Image search: [Google]
Bx_face.jpg
85KB, 538x700px
In this thread post underrated or overlooked PC games.
I'll start with Vangers, Though it has a cult following I feel like it is often overlooked.
Shit controls, incredible and immersive world, great voxel engine. Also pretty fascinating to look at.
>>
File: Chasm - The Rift_3.png (428KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Chasm - The Rift_3.png
428KB, 640x400px
>>4057296
Chasm: the Rift is pretty good. It came out soon after Quake and was very similar so it was overlooked.
>>
>>4057340
Played that one.
It's an okay game unfortunately brought down by boring enemies and way too boxy level design.
>>
>>4057296
I tried Vangers. It is very difficult, confusing, and slow. It might be fun once I figure it out. I keep getting killed on the way to the incubator or whatever.
>>
>>4057296
I might be wrong but I don't really see people talk about this or its sequel that often
>>
>>4059037
we used to talk about this a lot when the board was new before the underages took this place over
>>
>>4059037
games that were fucking huge can't be underrated, anon. you must be new here.
>>
Earthsiege and Starsiege. Starsiege even still has an online competitve player base and is pretty easy to get ahold of the patched version that works for most every current OS.
>>
File: gubble1.png (286KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gubble1.png
286KB, 640x480px
Came back with another one. Gubble II.
One of the weirdest arcade games I've ever played.
It's a game about purple alien unscrewing screws to save his home planet or something. It sounds fucking stupid but it's actually a pretty fun game especially once you get past first two worlds and more interesting levels kick in.
Lots of varied hazardous environmental puzzles, a shit ton of really strange enemies, a hub system, also a lot of fun game mechanics.
The biggest offender is sometimes faulty level design. Some levels rely on hidden items or paths and some levels don't work as intended.

Overall a pretty fun game, worth a shot
>>
>>4058102
Also the AI is ridiculous. The other drivers are extremely aggressive but flee when they start taking damage, and are very hard to hunt down since they can jump. So basically they can kill you, but good luck killing them because they're impossible to catch and usually have more health. The terrain is very hard to "read" and you bump into stuff a lot.
>>
I'll just name a few, some of them might not necessarily be overrated but they all play on modern PCs.

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (split screen, LAN, co-op/competitive), like Sonic with guns.

Re-Volt (LAN multiplayer) solid RC car game with track editor (basic track piece-based editor and more sophisticated one)

Nerf Arena Blast (LAN multiplayer) like Unreal Tournament with guns. Unreal Engine based but actually came out before UT99.

Dr. Brain Action Reaction (not sure if multiplayer) - also Unreal engine based. First person puzzle game, almost like a predecessor to Portal. Very hard to find - I have a disc and could upload an iso rip if anyone wants it and can't find it.
>>
>>4059347
The thing is that at the beginning of the game there's no reason to take on them, you're better off taking quests and participating in races rather then fucking with vangers in big ass trucks. Once you saved enough money to buy a better car and figured out what you're supposed to do it gets a lot more enjoyable. I was mostly putt off by awkward controls rather than rough AI.
I think most of the game's charm comes from exploring the surreal world. That was a really cool experience for me.
>>
>>4059362
Also the PC port of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is underrated (the PS1 version is overrated) and has LAN-based multiplayer. THPS3 on the PC is not really /vr/ (based on the 6th gen version), but it is also superb.
>>
File: d-generation_11.gif (22KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
d-generation_11.gif
22KB, 640x400px
D/Generation this isometric puzzle game on dos
>>
>>4057296
http://www.pcgamer.com/saturday-crapshoot-vangers/
Nice article on Vangers, check his other articles, he reviewed obscure games(now hes retired I think)
>>
>>4059368
Yeah I had THPS2 on pc and shit was so cash, 2000 was incredible. I remember having THPS2, Deus Ex, Red Alert 2, and Baldur's Gate II all installed at the same time and taking forever to decide what to play because they were all so fucking good. Probably played Tony Hawk the most lol.
>>
>>4059568
>D/Generation
Love that name.
>>
>>4057296

as a kid, I remember playing this and loving it even though I had no idea what the fuck was going on

>had no idea why there was a giant caterpillar talking to me

>spent hours using the cursor to change the colors of the background

>had no idea why thing got terraformed

Playing it now, especially after reading more Russian sci-fi, its at that weird place where it still feels alien (which is great) but not nonsensical like it once was

I still have no idea why the fuck things get terraformed
>>
File: vangerslore.jpg (3MB, 800x6600px) Image search: [Google]
vangerslore.jpg
3MB, 800x6600px
The background lore in Vangers is absolutely nuts.
>>
File: sub-culture-tobbaco-farming.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sub-culture-tobbaco-farming.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
Sub Culture
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.