[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Rare really make any amazing games or was it purely shit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1920x1080px
Did Rare really make any amazing games or was it purely shit? Only two good games come to mind being snake rattle roll and perfect dark. Everything else is okay or just bad.
>>
I liked Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini a lot.
DKC1 and 2 are also pretty above average platformers.

I find their FPSs just okay, but then again, I'm not a fan of the genre.
>>
I found the difficulty for Donkey Kong Country to be difficult but very doable as a kid.

I love Killer Instinct.
>>
>>4055309
Conker's Bad Fur Day is top tier.
>>
They made amazing games. It was a Rare sight.
>>
>>4055309
>Did Rare really make any amazing games or was it purely shit?
That's a subjective matter anon, you can't answer that question in an objective way (don't let underage fool you) ...

>>Only two good games come to mind being snake rattle roll and perfect dark. Everything else is okay or just bad
Oh so it's just a bait OP. Why couldn't you just open with a more neutral sounding question like "opinion about Rare?" or "which Rare games do you like and for what reasons exactly"?
>>
Did you guys fall for a good troll or are you truly shitheads?
Only two possibilities come to mind, being you are morons and op is a kiddo. Everybody else is okay or just gay.
>>
>>4055326
>Why couldn't you just open with a more neutral sounding question like "opinion about Rare?"

Because that typically wouldn't net the replies.
>>
>>4055336
>people can't debate over something and voice their opinions
>>
>>4055309
They made a loooot of mediocre stuff.
>>
>>4055928
Same could be said of a lot of companies, honestly.
>>
Imma let you finish, but Diddy Kong Racing was the best kart racer of all time
>>
>>4055309
Ah yes, my favourite kind of thread. The kind of thread where we pretend one opinion is fact and then disregard other opinions.

I think Rare made some really good shit and Perfect Dark was their least noteworthy title. Jet Force Gemini was more fun to me than Perfect Dark was. But that's just my opinion.
>>
>>4055378
Not if it's been said a million times.
>>
>more revisionist history

When do we get to start saying Super Metroid wasn't really that good?
>>
>>4056000
When Metroid actually becomes popular.
>>
>>4055975
This motherfucker knkows what's up.
>>
>>4055309
Battletoads was shit. Not sure why people seem to like it.
>>
>>4056150
Battletoads is actually very polished.

>>4056016
Metroid is popular, especially in retro circles

>>4055309

Donkey Kong Country 2 is perhaps the best platformer of the 90's
>>
>>4055309

nice thread /v/tard
>>
>>4056163
>Donkey Kong Country 2 is perhaps the best platformer of the 90's

It's not even the best SNES platformer.
>>
They were great NES developers, mediocre SNES developers, and terrible N64 developers.
>>
>>4056178
Are you serious? cause looking at this there isn't one decent game the made on the NES. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare
>>
>>4056189
R.C. Pro-AM, Cobra Triangle, Solar Jetman, Battletoads, Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat, etc.
>>
>>4056163
>Donkey Kong Country 2 is perhaps the best platformer of the 90's
This game had amazing level design, easily my personal goat
>>
>>4056190
Wheel of Fortune: Junior Edition, Double Dare, Jeopardy!, Digger T. Rock: The Legend of the Lost City, etc

But let's ignore all the shit they put out and pretend they made good NES games.
>>
>>4056163
DKC was only "popular" among the emerging newgaming crowd because of the fake hype over the "3d" (3d rendered sprites) pretty graphics. It had stiff and poorly executed gameplay that carried over into all its sequels.

Gaming pretty much died in the mid-90s, but shit like DKC was the beginning of that style-over-substance shit trend that killed it.
>>
>>4056206
Who way to sound like a fat 40 year old virgin.

"I miss the early 90s cause girls wanted to by around me back then"
>>
>>4056206
I mean until the genesis was released in August of1989. All those NES, Master, and Atari 5200 games were out done by arcade games which had longer gameplay, better graphics, better music, better SFX, and better endings.
>>
Rare games I've played that I consider Top-Tier:
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Blast Corps
Conker's BFD
Diddy Kong Racing (best kart racer imo)
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Goldeneye
Jet Force Gemini
Perfect Dark

They really crushed it on the N64. They managed to make some of the best games in multiple genres. My personal favorites are Jet Force Gemini and Conker, both of those games blended genres excellently (I feel diversity was Rare's biggest strength) and both games truly felt epic in their scope.
>>
>>4056206

What kind of mental gymnastics are you performing to come to this shit conclusion
>>
>>4055309
having to even ask this question reveals your age. If you were not playing games when this was released you will never understand it.
>>
>>4056206
its painfully obvious you're a contrarian. and a summer fag
>>
>>4056246
He's just a manchild stuck in his 1980s daydream.
>>
>>4056227
I would rather have Dragon Quest III and Megaman 3 over literally any Arcade game that came out by 1989.
>>
>>4056206
t. Miyamoto
>>
>>4056253
Then you have shit taste.
>>
>>4056286
No you see, in saying I have shit taste, it is actually you who have the shit taste, you shittaster.
>>
>>4056293
OutRun, R-type,Bubble Bobble, Ghouls and Ghost, AfterBurner. Kick the shit out of those games.
>>
>>4056203
Every dev has made turds. Rare put out more good games on the NES than they did on the SNES and N64 combined.
>>
>>4056346
Oh bullshit. Their SNES and N64 games blow the little NES games away.
>>
from what I heard perfect dark was way too slow compared to Goldeneye. That's why it never emerged from Goldeneye's shadow or Deus Ex's.
>>
>>4056353
They really don't. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Battletoads & Double Dragon, Goldeneye 007, and Perfect Dark were the only good games they made for the SNES and N64.

Meanwhile, on the NES: Slalom, Wizards & Warriors, R.C. Pro-AM, Cobra Triangle, Ironsword, Pinbot, Captain Skyhawk, Snake Rattle 'n' Roll, Time Lord, Solar Jetman, Battletoads, Wizards & Warriors III, R.C. Pro-AM II, and Battletoads & Double Dragon. That's just the non-ports.
>>
>>4056397
PD sold less than GE because it was released at a time when people stopped buying N64s. Also, it was a new IP. Deus Ex sold a lot worse than either game, and had a lower framerate when run on an average PC at time of release (absolutely insanely CPU hungry)
>>
>>4056417
None of those games you listed are memorable or highly ranked like the Rare games on the SNES like Killer Instinct, DKC,DKC2.

I mean there is nothing special about those games.
>>
>>4056302
Not even close my mentally impaired amigo. Better luck next time squirt.
>>
>>4056397
It had some significant framerate drops in the NTSC version, particularly if you're trying to play the game in high resolution settings. Dunno if things were any different in the PAL version.

>>4056436
Also, this.
>>
>>4056441
Wow what a pleb you are. Must be hard liking shitty video games.
>>
>>4056417
What's so great about battletoads? it fucking sucks
>>
>>4056439
>None of those games you listed are (...) highly ranked like the Rare games on the SNES like Killer Instinct, DKC,DKC2.
Because none of them were designed for idiots that are impressed by pre-rendered graphics. They were all designed to be good fucking games from the ground up, not style over substance experiences.

>I mean there is nothing special about those games.
There's nothing special about Killer Instinct, DKC, or DKC2.

>>4056453
It's a visceral, satisfying beat 'em up with hits that actually feel heavy. Killing an enemy in Battletoads feels so good and every encounter feels intense because the enemies hit hard too.
>>
>oh shit, they attacked a game I like, I better attack a game they like! That'll show 'em!
>>
>>4056487
Oh look at the baby mad cause I don't like his shitty generic Nintendo games. Enjoy playing your watered down garbage.
>>
>>4056447
DAE le pleb? Videogames are the most pleb activity there is. I can look down on you from my lofty heights despite not even caring about games. I'm just better than you, and enjoy games more than you will ever comprehend despite the fact they are all you have.
>>
the donkey kong country games are stellar and innovative and still hold up as great games to this day. perfect dark is nearly broken by aging and the n64's wonky controls, there's no reason to play it when a million better mouse control shooters have been released.
>>
File: 1457858381427.jpg (43KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1457858381427.jpg
43KB, 450x450px
>>4056505
Sure, Now put up your lego blocks and go to bed.
>>
>>4056487
>idiots that are impressed by pre-rendered graphics
>>4056206
>the emerging newgaming crowd because of the fake hype over the "3d" (3d rendered sprites) pretty graphics.

>>
>>4056515
> ;)

For real though, its been fun teasing you man. Sometimes i forget how fun it is to pretend to be retarded on here. In reality I think we have different taste in games but you are probably a cool guy in your own right and I'm sure we have lots of common ground.
>>
>>4056242
Dozen of games were out during the time anon, don't get mad everyone didn't play what you liked.
>>
>>4055309
Uniracer was GOAT. Shane that Pixar killed it
>>
>>4056623
Not Rare.
>>
>>4056625
I can't be wrong! It's the madnalah affect!

I guess that's why no one else brought it up.
>>
>>4056508
Honestly, there's no reason why you shouldn't play the remake on Rare Replay since it fixes the slowdown issues of the original. I mean, aside from having to own an Xbox One.
>>
>>4056647
>owning a modern gaming system
yeah nah. all modern games are about now is calling people faggots in voice chat and unlocking worthless achievements/paying out the ass for dlc
>>
>>4055309

Not even annoyed by people like you anymore with retardedly awful taste. Only pity.
>>
>>4055309
Banjo-Kazooie was basically Super Mario 64 but good
>>
>>4055309
They made a lot of good games and a lot of bad games.
>>
>>4056453
I disagree. for the time it was really good. Good graphics, controls, gameplay, etc. It was just really hard.
>>
>>4056724
Sounds a lot like collecting retro games.

Calling people faggots on /vr/, beating games as worthless achievements and paying out the ass for real hardware "for the authentic experience"
>>
File: 1497244938712.jpg (38KB, 711x795px) Image search: [Google]
1497244938712.jpg
38KB, 711x795px
>tfw Rare Replay is free this week
Time to discover Rare beyond Perfect Dark
>>
>>4056178
I agree with this. They went downhill pretty quickly afterwards, but they made some great NES games.
>>
>>4055309
Rare's only real jewels were the DKC games. They had some alright stuff here and there, but those are the only high tier games I can think of. Most of the stuff they are famous for these days are just millenial nostalgics who think the N64 is the best system since it's the only one they played.
>>
>>4055309
>>4057858

Also... daily reminder that Rare made fucking Time Lord.
>>
>>4057858
I disagree with you even if the DKC trilogy got some of my favorite games in all of /vr/-related vidya. Rare made some terrible games for the NES and N64 but that doesn't deny the existence of some more enjoyable ones they made for the same systems. Games like Battletoads and Conker's Bad Fur Day are definitely not as incredible as most people give them credit for but others like RC Pro-AM, the Wizards and Warriors games (especially the first one), Blast Corps, Goldeneye and Banjo-Kazooie are worth a try without a doubt. You can emulate most of those games or get them digitally so you can try them out yourself if you don't believe me.

I agree there's a lot of recent N64 nostalgia going on on the internet at the moment but then again, the same shit happened years earlier with NES and SNES respectively and the fact that Nintendo is still around at the moment and e-celebs being popular with the "hidden gems" and "absolute classics" have got more to do with that. That in itself doesn't decrease the value of Rare's better games.
>>
>>4055309
Earthbound?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.