[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shining force 1 and 2 thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: Shining_Force.jpg (39KB, 349x494px) Image search: [Google]
Shining_Force.jpg
39KB, 349x494px
What made this game good?

Also
>Favorite characters
>Favorite soundtrack
>Favorite boss
>Favorite battle map
>>
File: SF2_slade.jpg (7KB, 150x200px) Image search: [Google]
SF2_slade.jpg
7KB, 150x200px
>>4054564
>favourite character
>>
>>4054564

Only played the first one but it's definitely one of my fondest Sega games from childhood. Are the sequels and GBA port worth playing?

Anri was one of my earliest waifus.
>>
>>4055092
Shining Force 2 changes the artwork to be more anime, and it's a little less linear(gives you more opportunity to screw around and grind than the first one).
The big problem I hear with Shining Force 3 is that only the first chapter is translated, and/or it's a little difficult to get working. But this was some time ago too, so things may have changed.
As far as the GBA port, no. The introduction of a new character pretty much breaks any enjoyment you could have of the game.
>>
Why is a ripped Link in the cover?
>>
>>4054564
>start playing game
>enjoying self immensely
>suddenly remember characters level within a range of stats
>pull numbers online
>almost all characters are WAY under maximum range
>immediately lose all joy from game
FUCK.
>>
>>4055772
If it makes you feel any better, the stat-ups are rigged to meet the forecast fairly well
>>
I was annoyed with the inventory management in 1.
>>
>>4055091
My nigrat.
>>
>>4054564
>Favorite characters
Shining force 1 : Luke, Gort, Tao, Domingo, Anri, Gong, Musashi and Zylo
Shining force 2
Sarah, Chester, Jaha, Rick, Karna, Slade, May Sheela and Lemon
>Favorite soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQoLYMSXZzE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaVycJXALQk
>Favorite boss
Kane
>Favorite battle map
Shining force 1
Circus Tent battle and the battle of Dragonia
Shining force 2
Chess Battle
>>
>>4055307
All of SF3 is translated now.
>>
>>4055772
dont obsess over this kind of shit the game is way too easy anyway
>>
>>4054564
I love shining force
>>
File: Slade 101.jpg (156KB, 1276x942px) Image search: [Google]
Slade 101.jpg
156KB, 1276x942px
>>4054564
>What made this game good?
All of the personality it has, and it's fun gameplay with the cool cutscenes.

Also
>Favorite characters
SF1: Anri (love this girl), Max, Tao, Zylo, and Domingo
SF2: Slade, all of the monks/healers (I got Karma to max level and she could tank the last boss while spamming map wide full heal, wtf?), Lemon.
>Favorite soundtrack
https://youtu.be/lxN6Ts2tfJQ
>Favorite boss
Cain and Dark Dragon
>Favorite battle map
I really liked the tower climbing map in Shining Force 2.

I've had this screenshot since I was a young kid playing on a very old version of GENS.
>>
>>4054564
>Favorite characters
From Shining Force, Gort, I don't really like the cast too much.
From II Karna and Taya, Karna for how starring she becomes if you use the Boost lead in every battle and Taya because she's cute.
>Favorite soundtrack
What >>4056547 said
>Favorite boss
Zalbard or the Puppet at the circus
>Favorite battle map
The pond where Elric is drowning, bonus points because it's impossible to return to it and feels special thanks to that.
>>
File: May 62744499.jpg (142KB, 550x720px) Image search: [Google]
May 62744499.jpg
142KB, 550x720px
>Favorite characters
Any and all HP; Gong, Lyle, Elric, Randolf
>Favorite soundtrack
SF1 Battles 3 and 5, SF2 town and overworld
>Favorite boss
The dragonewt from SF1, the Kraken.
>Favorite battle map
Eh. Level design wasn't one of this series's strong points.
>>
>>4054564
Love them both as well as translated gardens and translated sf3s. Fav characters for 1, stop, gong, fort, Domingo, musashi. 2 is kiwi, Peter, Rhode, and gerhalt.
>>
>>4055091
Too squishy. Fucks over the entire world. Low tier until learns spells, desu, but he's worth it.
>>
>>4055092
They are definitely worth playing. 2 is great. Translated gardens are good fun, but no town sections, story is told through cutscenes. The game gear one is a garden one released in the us. Also Sega CD one is good. 3 is good with all scenarios translated, but the switch to 3d poly art is a bit jarring.
>>
I was thinking of giving those games a try for the first time this summer.

Are they difficult and how long are the games?
>>
>>4064448
II is super easy but a lot of the things that make it easy are secrets, well known secrets but whatever.
First one is a bit harder but mainly because it normal to have terrain disadvantages in almost every battle and the fact the best hitters are usually the best healers.
Both of them are kinda short of just average for a RPG
>>
>Favorite characters
sf1: anri zylo hanzou
sf2: peter kazin(as sorc) tyrin (am i the only one who choose him over karna?)
>Favorite soundtrack
sf1: tent battle music
sf2: zeon battle music
>Favorite boss
sf1: micaela
sf2: zalbard
>Favorite battle map
sf1: battle vs micaela where u get the sword of light
sf2: battle vs oddler
>>
>>4066203
> tyrin (am i the only one who choose him over karna?)
You're not alone m80. Can never have too much magic. And the second vigor ball comes far too late in the game to make promoting two Master Monks viable, I just promote Sarah and let Karna rot.
>>
>>4067352
>Not giving Karna the vigor ball.
You should be surprise how quickly she can level up.
>>
>>4054564
>favorite characters
domingo, tao, hans, zylo

>favorite soundtrack
circus theme

>favorite boss
the giant laser

>favorite battle map
the giant laser corridor, runner up goes to the fight where all the zombies sneak up on you in the church
>>
Fucking fantastic series, I liked 2 a little less because of the change of the consistent art style and soundfont, but still really good
>>
>>4067417
But then that makes Sarah useless for most of the game and I still end up with only a single Master Monk. So of course I'll choose a character from Creed's that will actually fill a non-redundant role in my team. Karna is the worst choice because either she or Sarah has to be worthless for most of the game.
>>
>>4069117
There's TWO Vigor balls anon, granted, I give the first to Sarah and priest Karna usually caps her levels like 5 fights before being able to get the second but there's no reason to not have an army of underdressed tanks.
>>
>>4069117
Basically this >>4069180
They both can easily kick ass and look sexy as hell.
>>
File: infiltration.jpg (162KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
infiltration.jpg
162KB, 500x706px
>>4054564
>Favorite characters
Balbaroy, Amon, Mae, Khris, Arthur
>Favorite soundtrack
Circus
>Favorite boss
Mishaela
>Favorite battle map
Urbanatol Fortress
>>
Anyone hae Lewd art of Anri, Tao, Sarah, Karan or Sheela by any chance??
>>
>>4070472

I'm here for Anri and just Anri.

Started playing the GBA remake of Shining Force one, I'm enjoying it a lot only problem is I don't like the look of the artwork, much prefer the artwork on the Sega version. Other than that solid remake so far.

Lowe is somehow my unexpected powerhouse, I'm still on the first chapter and he's level five promoted.
>>
File: 2835b063de4a04d742a5c12e18112200.jpg (170KB, 1024x1303px) Image search: [Google]
2835b063de4a04d742a5c12e18112200.jpg
170KB, 1024x1303px
>>4054564
>not 3
favorite map was the lighthouse map
very beautiful
>>
>>4070498
How the hell?
In the GBA remake healing a undamaged unit will still give you exp or you are grinding too much?
>>
>>4070934
in shining force 1 healing a unit with a healer gives you exp, doesn't need to be damaged in the slightest
>>
>>4071135
I've barely touch any of the healers in Shining force. Mainly all of unit had great defenses and attack
>>
>>4054564
>What made this game good?
The music, characters and lighthearted adventure. Even dealing with Devils, it was fun.

>Favorite characters
S1: Ernest, Domingo, Lyle
S2: Bowie, May, Slade
>Favorite soundtrack
S2: Tied between main theme and Panic Moment.
>Favorite boss
S1: Mishaela
S2: Tied between Odd Eye and Cameela.
>Favorite battle map
S1: Colossus Map
S2: Elric pond or Prism Flower map
>>
>>4069180
>There's TWO Vigor balls anon
I realise that. But you get the second once the game is pretty much over! If you plan to use both as MMNK you have to either grind like hell once you get back to Grans or carry a useless character throughout half the game.

The reward is not worth the monotony.
>>
>>4071135
In sega version of SF1 if the cured unit was unharmed it yielded no exp.
At least that's what I remember because I wanted to train Khris like that and I couldn't.
>>
>>4071654
I think after all Tyrin is a good choice if you want a WIZ but there's no difficulty to train both Sarah and Karna as Master monks, you see, Boost II is a really useful magic that targets a maximum of of 13 units and that gives 5 exp for each successful buff, so if you play your cards well Karna can get 49 exp points every first turn of the battle being able to level up quickly.

But that's just my play style, definitely can't recommend Tyrin as a SORC over WIZ, though.
>>
>>4071671
I am pretty sure that is the second game as even using a medical herb on an unharmed unit will give exp
>>
>>4064183
>Too squishy.
He's the magikarp of SF2.
>>
>>4054564
Should I start with I or is II one of those games that's superior to its predecessor in every way?
>>
>>4071919
I'd start with 1. 2 makes few improvements to the game play, but the story isn't as good.
>>
>>4071919
> II one of those games that's superior to its predecessor in every way?
Many people would disagree with me I'm sure, but I think it is overall superior. If you were only going to play one of the two it should be SF2. But if you were going to play them both anyway you might as well do it in the correct order.
>>
>>4070934
I never grind, makes it more challenging. I'm thinking of doing a nuzelock challenge playthrough.
>>
>>4054564
That abbey full of undead folks had amazing atmosphere.
>>
>>4054564
I just started playing this game (Shining Force II).
I never played it before, and I like how it somewhat reminded me of Fire Emblem at first.

What I like in this one is how you don't necessarily have to end a turn for enemies to move after you, rather it goes by each unit's agility I'm assuming.
>>
>>4054564
SF2
>Favorite characters
Kazin. He's so calm and quite powerful.
Also:
Chaz, Slade, Sarah, Taya, Karna, Sheela.
>Favorite soundtrack
To arms!
Though, while I like SF2 more, SF1 soundtrack is better
>Favorite boss
OddEye is the coolest one, but I remember 2 other: Kraken and Zalbard.
I remember how surprised I was when I entered the raft battle at the first time. Those damned tentacles! SO MUCH DAMAGE! SO MUCH DEFENSE! Damn, arms are even more powerful and have a ranged attack! I used Egress countless times.
And the same was at Zalbard battle. He was surprisingly powerful at that point. I remember how I used Luke to make him spend his MP casting Bolt 2 on him.
>Favorite battle map
Prism flowers battle
>>
>>4074663
>rather it goes by each unit's agility I'm assuming.
More or less, but there is a random factor too. Someone with super high agility will always go first (or maybe twice in a row) but who goes first out of a 4 and a 5 isn't set in stone. That sort of thing.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.