[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

got this for free from a neighbour whos moving, it works fine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170611_163929896.jpg (1MB, 2160x1216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_163929896.jpg
1MB, 2160x1216px
got this for free from a neighbour whos moving, it works fine for the most part but it has a weird color distortion on the upper right corner, and also the edges of the screen look curved.

Any idea on what could be wrong? is it worth it to fix?
>>
File: IMG_20170611_162615872.jpg (1MB, 1216x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_162615872.jpg
1MB, 1216x2160px
model is Trinitron KV-25FV12/5
>>
Kinda looks like what would happen when I'd fuck around with magnets against the TV.
No idea what would fix it though.
>>
>>4054171
degaussing unit on tv is probably going out. Put good magnet on the end of a drill and spin it in front of the off color area. Magnet will stir the gases up in the set. Will need to move magnet around in circle shape and it varying distances. Keep doing it till the color is as good as you think you can get it.
>>
bump because I have a nice toshiba that also has wavy border
>>
Needs the horizontal drive circuit recapping and also landing adjustment.

Try turning it compass-wise and see if the colouration goes away or changes.
>>
>>4054163
Does the Trinitron have a degauss button? I know some of them do which would help
>>
>>4054263
im scared of fucking it up with a magnet sorry.

>>4054575
>Try turning it compass-wise
and how do i do that? i dont know anything about repairing electronics, i just want to know if this would be a cheap fix, i know a guy who repairs stuff and he gives me good prices, but not sure if this TV is worth it... i LOVE the sound tho, fucking speakers are top of the line.

>>4054602
been trying to find that option in the settings but the buttons are acting all funky and kick me out of the menu randomly, dont have a remote for it sadly.
>>
>>4054163
swirl a magnet around it until it looks right
>>4054618
it's already been fucked up with some magnetic field. you're going to have to correct it or chunk it.

sometimes it's built in as a degauss function if it has it.
>>
>>4054263

First off.. using a magnet on a drill works, i've done it.

However, doing it on a 20" which is what that TV looks like is going to be pretty hard.

It's not just spinning it on the TV and moving it randomly, you need to spin it really close then slowly back up until the distortion stops. The objective is to distributed the magnetic field evenly.

Finally, the magnet does not "stir up the gasses" aperture-grille is made of metal and if it gets unevenly magnetized it fucks up the photon trajectory.
>>
>>4054672
>doing it on a 20"

its a 25 actually, looks beautifull, i dont remember my TV back in the day to have looked this good.
>>
>>4054618
>im scared of fucking it up with a magnet sorry
Not that guy, but that's the best fix.

You get a drill, remove the drill bit and attach a fridge magnet or some shit, stand 6 feet away and spin that bitch on high, move closer and closer until you're about an inch to two inches away from the TV; aiming at the affected spot.
>>
>>4054618
That is basically the only way of getting rid of it unless you spend money on a degaussing coil or if your tv does not have a button/setting for degaussing. Otherwise you are stuck with it.

heres a guy using a degauss coil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRkXF3TKy54
>>
That purity issue may be able to be fixed by adjusting the purity on the yoke inside the TV; With how localized it is, actually managing to get that specific spot to go away without it just "moving" else where maybe a tad bit of a challenge.

I would definitely try that before going out of your way to get a degaussing coil, make shift or not, as those if used improperly can make things worse.
>>
The gausing will just fall out over time and enough switches on and off.The edge geometry is likely to be something you'll just tolerate until you pick up a fresher one assuming you love the experience. You won't be able to calibrate it out even from the service menu.
>>
>>4054618
By compass-wise I mean if it's currently facing north-south, swivel it to face east-west.

You may well find it helps as the earth's magnetic field can influence the landing quite drastically and the set will have been factory calibrated in a particular orientation.
>>
Ok guys, ill try to manually degaussing the tube with some mqagnets i got from broken hard drives, ill stick them to a kitchen knife or whatever and see if the purple corner gets better.

This morning inspecting it under daylight, i noticed it has a headphone plug and also Svideo... this is fucking sweet now im thinking it may be worth to fix.
>>
>trying to get the guy to permanently fuck his aperture grill by waving rare-earth magnets around the screen

OH YOU
>>
>>4054163
I used to smack the TV when it had this distortion, fixed it a good amount of the times. :^)
>>
>>4054663
>swirl a magnet around it until it looks right

This. That thing looks like it was stuck beside a strong magnet for too long. Should right itself.
>>
File: magnets_for_juggalos.png (346KB, 600x761px) Image search: [Google]
magnets_for_juggalos.png
346KB, 600x761px
>>4057131
>Should right itself
Indeed it should...with the BUILT IN DEGAUSSING COIL.

OP, please don't go waving permanent magnets around the screen. It won't do anything except cause further issues, trust me on this.

Read the following link:
http://www.castleclassicarcade.com/archives/monitor-purity-issues

Then go here:
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Sony-Trinitron-Kv-25fv12-3984746.html
and learn how to set the thing up from scratch. As I said before I suspect the wavy sides may well indicate worn capacitors in the horizontal drive circuitry but you could at least get the purity issues sorted, hide the edges with a horizontal size tweak in the service menu, and learn something useful into the bargain.
>>
>>4054724
God damn this whole time I thought you guys were collectively 'system 32ing' this guy into bricking his shit. I didn't know about degaussing
>>
>>4057552
It's a thing but:
A - It's not advisable to attempt it with a permanent magnet. You want to use an electromagnet which can be slowly moved away and then shut off completely.

B - OP's TV has a built-in degaussing coil which operates automatically every time the set is switched on.

C - It's a beam landing problem, nothing to do with a magnetised aperture grille whatsoever.
>>
>>4054163
It's a bad capacitor.
>>
>>4054163
I've had that issue. If you can't fix it it may go away over time, my bargain bin Sylvania TV had that issue and it gradually disappeared. IIRC, I thought being left upside down or being dropped knocked something out of whack.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.