[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOS BOX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

File: 467.jpg (6KB, 180x180px)
467.jpg
6KB, 180x180px
How fucking annoying is DOS box? With having to mount C drive and shit every time you want to play.
>>
Just drag and drop the game exe into the dosbox icon. Should mount automatically.
>>
Just properly edit your autoexec bat.
>>
>>4052964
There's several front-ends available that will let you create and save configurations for each game. You should be using one of them if you are serious about using Dosbox.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 480x211px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 480x211px
>>
File: Properties2[2].png (13KB, 367x500px) Image search: [Google]
Properties2[2].png
13KB, 367x500px
>>4052964
Loading games could have been done easier, but right now you have barely to do anything

https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts#Short_Version
>>
>>4052964
You configure it.
ONCE.

>baiting in a post bread
>>
>>4052968
>>4052984
>>4052989
>>4052986

Thanks bros, I didn't even know you could drag and drop.
>>
File: features1_big.png (83KB, 734x475px) Image search: [Google]
features1_big.png
83KB, 734x475px
Download a frontend for it. Dbgl is the best one: http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/
>>
>>4053195
I will give it a go, thanks.
>>
>>4052964
Use a frontend or pay GOG slavs to use they're versions of DOSbox that's all setup for individually bought games.

Are you 12?
>>
>>4053250
>they're

Are you 12?
>>
I pity the plebs who never used a command line in their childhoods like proper gamers.
>>
File: dfend.png (157KB, 1103x910px) Image search: [Google]
dfend.png
157KB, 1103x910px
>>4052964
Get a frontend. I use dfend reloaded and its pretty nifty
>>
>>4053327
Proper gamers had consoles or Amigas.
>>
>>4053330

I second that. Also you can set doabox to auto mount, but if you do, you lose the ability to drag and drop exe files and have them auto open.
>>
>>4053330
That's a funny wrong screenshot for Ultimate Doom
>>
>>4053093
You can also edit the settings file to mount multiple folders automatically.
I do this since i games on more than one drive.
>>
>>4052964
>OP doesn't find the config file and then complains that it's the fault of the software
no words...
>>
>>4052968
some games you can't do that. can't remember which ones. but i couldn't get into any of the ones i tried anyway. i was a console fag till about 2 years ago so i missed out when dos games would've carved a place in my heart.
>>
>>4054317
Uh, it's always worked for me. Maybe it's something with your machine
>>
>>4053330
Another vote for D-Fend Reloaded. I've been using it for years for all my games, for all platforms, DOS, Windows, NES, etc. I've never had to mess with Dosbox directly.
>>
>>4052964
you can automate it all but then you have to also write configurations for every game
>>
>>4053195
Frontends are for pussies. We used the command line back then, you can use it now.
>>
File: ffd.png (694KB, 600x810px)
ffd.png
694KB, 600x810px
>>
>>4053327
I never had that in my childhood but I must admit there's something satisfying about booting a game up like that. I was really happy when I finally figured out DOSBox and got into Master of Orion for a while.
>>
File: 1480559973942.png (455KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480559973942.png
455KB, 1366x768px
I went with the exoDOS route and I really fucking hate how the frontend keeps separate settings for every game. But, it was easy to set up with the whole collection and frankly, sometimes I just like browsing it because I love the artwork. It has manuals too.
>>
>>4054932
>fucking hate how the frontend keeps separate settings for every game.

There's a large number of DOS games that need specific settings to run well. It makes sense.
>>
>>4055585
Of course, I get that but it would make my life easier if some settings like windowed/fullscreen or the scaler could be set to a certain default setting.

There's also the fact the install/play bat files, manual/screenshot/whatever and a dosbox file is kept in games/!dos/game/ while some gamefiles, the mountable iso and another dosbox.conf is in /games/game/.
>>
Fun fact: you can drag and drop the files you want into dosbox and it automounts.
>>
>>4052964
>having to mount C drive and shit every time you want to play.
Emulators need to be set up properly you know,
>>
Is there a way to have DOSbox recall the state it had when it was shut down?
>>
>>4055605
It's not that big a deal.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.