[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why so much slowdown? Shit starts to chug just from firing my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 10

File: gradius3.jpg (1MB, 2100x1533px) Image search: [Google]
gradius3.jpg
1MB, 2100x1533px
Why so much slowdown? Shit starts to chug just from firing my weapons. Didn't notice that happen in the arcade version.
>>
That's SNES baby!
>>
Arcade version has plenty of slowdown too, the PS2 version which is a straight port of the arcade let you play it without slowdown and it's a big difference.
>>
>>4052685
No blast processing
>>
It DOES lag in the arcade version. Check the bubble level.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CKYlTGfKbw
>>
>>4052696
Yeah, but only when there's a bunch of stuff going on. Play Gradius 3 on SNES with more than 2 options and fire your weapons, slowdown will kick in no matter what else is on the screen.

It's a shame because SNES is clearly the superior version, except for the fucking slowdown issue.
>>
>>4052705
It is more dense with bubbles in the arcade version over the SNES one.
>>
>>4052712
Nothing they could do, the hardware limitations on snes are way more severe.
>>
>>4052705
Of course the arcade version isn't without slowdown - but the SNES version adds a ton more.
>>
>>4052709
>It's a shame because SNES is clearly the superior version,
Superior how? SNES is missing the cube level entirely.
>>
>>4052713
This is true, but it was also a very early title and was fairly poorly optimized. Look at how smooth Parodius Da is with basically the same engine and a similar amount of onscreen action. Konami just hadn't figured out how to program for the snes effectively.

Compare Gradius 3 to Axelay to see how much better Konami got at optimizing snes games, that game has tons of visual effects and shit going on yet runs considerably faster than Gradius 3.
>>
>>4052717
Yeah but no good programing in the world allows them to go over the sprite limit.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>4052715
CUUUUUUUUUUBES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0qDwbvVgU
>>
File: 683.png (96KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
683.png
96KB, 300x300px
>Playing Gradius 3 on SNES when Super Aleste exists
>>
>>4052756
Vertical vs Horizontal orientation, anon.
>>
>>4052715
The difficulty level is a lot more manageable, for one thing. It might even be too easy for some people, but arcade Gradius III is known as ridiculously difficult even among the most hardcore of shmuppers.
>>
File: Macross.jpg (442KB, 1148x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Macross.jpg
442KB, 1148x1000px
>>4052760
>Horizontal only
Play Macross then.
>>
>>4052806
The SNES gets quite harder in further loops and selecting "arcade" difficulty
>>
>>4052815
SUKURANBURU BARUKIRI--
>>
>>4052756
>Super Aleste
Sorry, I know it as Space Megaforce.
>>
>>4052715
exactly
>>
>>4052868
>>4052820
Git gud you babbies.
>>
>>4052869
The cube rush isn't even the hardest stage retard, and again the SNES port gets challenging once you get past the first loop, I like both versions and it's perfectly fine to prefer the SNES port over the arcade
>>
>>4052879
Nobody said it was, retard. And Snes at its hardest still holds no candle to the arcade.
>>
>>4052879
Snes is missing a bunch of cool enemies like the sand lions in the first stage, the floating moai head right before the boss of the Moai stage, a gigantic fire dragon before the boss of the fire stage (different from the worm-like creature that ends up being the final boss)
>>
>>4052883
BUT ANON IT GETS BETTER IF YOU BEAT THE GAME 8 TIMES IN A ROW AND THE RANKING SYSTEM KICKS IN
>>
>>4052882
>And Snes at its hardest still holds no candle to the arcade.
post you're scores, prove me you aren't a complete shit player
>>
>>4052891
>post you're score
Like clockwork. Gradius ain't even a score attack type of game.
>>
>>4052887
This is literally true for most Gradius games though, looping is where the real challenge is at unless you are a shit player
>>
>>4052892
0 then, thanks for proving me you are an uneducated retard talking out of your ass
>>
>>4052893
even then that only makes things shoot more bullets and faster, it doesn't increase the amount of enemies
>>
>>4052894
How the fuck does scoring even work in a Gradius game, you just collect powerups and blow up stuff?
>>
>>4052893
Arcade has the SNES beaten in that category too.
>>
>>4052685
>Snes
TINY
LITTLE
PROCESSOR
>>
>>4052895
So it makes the game harder, I get it you are too shitty for that kind of challenge.
>>
>>4052905
No you don't get it, there is a hard limit to the amount and speed of bullets on the SNES
>>
>>4052897
How new are you, Gradius games have infinite looping, the game gets progressively much harder each loop. Scoring is basically how good your survival skills are + some milking tricks
>>4052902
Looping in Gradius III is only doable for superplayers, shit players like you would struggle with SFC port's looping already
>>
>>4052918
Ah yeah Gradius counterstop, I have heard about those.
>>
File: beacon.png (23KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
beacon.png
23KB, 256x224px
The speed stage exclusive to SNES is more fun than cube rush anyways.
>>
>>4052918
I don't play for score, I think scoring is degenerate.
>>
>>4052908
So is in the arcade games, your point?

>>4052923
have fun being shit then
>>
>>4052931
Arcade has more enemies, many of which were removed in the SNES version.
See >>4052883
>>
>>4052932
And the arcade is missing new stages like >>4052925 + some powerup options, it's not a direct port you dumbass
>>
>>4052685
>Why so much slowdown?
Because this was literally an SNES launch title you fucking philistine.
>>
Looking back the SNES port ain't nearly as bad as people make it seem, the slowdown actually helps you survive, even.
>>
File: gradius.png (47KB, 667x281px) Image search: [Google]
gradius.png
47KB, 667x281px
I actually like some of the graphical touches in the SNES version.
>>
I don't doubt that there is slowdown in the SNES version of Gradius 3 because of the slow rom used (results in slow cpu mode). But even hacked for fastrom mode, it doesn't eliminate all slowdown. And the slow down in that game is more than 50% (2 frames). Which is kind of absurd if you think about it. Under normal circumstances, the code missing a frame update because it's taking too long. Thus you get a immediate 50% slow, because it's waiting for the next 'end of frame' (modern games will drop the frame rate rather than drop the speed, but you can still get both). And the SNES Gradius gets into 3 frame slowdown at times IIRC (1/3rd of the original speed). That's ridiculous even for the SNES processor speed. My point being, most games only slow down to 50% - not less (50% reduction in speed is equivalent to a 200% boost in processor speed, hence why most games don't slow down past 50%).
>>
>>4052943
So it's poor coding after all
>>
>>4052940
You're not forced to upgrade missiles to beat this boss in the Snes, that's good game design.
>>
>>4052943
This is interesting.
So you're saying 2 frames ie 1/3 slowdown is completely disadvantageous to processing power, 1 frame is already more than enough. Konami either are really shit programmers or more likely they stylistically CHOSE to design the game to slowdown that much.
>>
>>4052938
>the slowdown actually helps you survive
Sounds kinda casual, pham.
>>
File: #donehere.png (2MB, 1190x1118px) Image search: [Google]
#donehere.png
2MB, 1190x1118px
>>4052950
Well yes, but it wasn't Konami's fault. The SNES was literally brand new. This was a launch title.
>>
>>4052960
But the SNES version is considered by some to be a better game due to the more manageable difficulty alone.
>>
>>4052952
The plant boss on snes doesn't force you to upgrade speed a shitload of times either to avoid the sucking attack.
>>
>>4052943
I seriously doubt the developers intended for the game to slow down that fucking much.
>>
>>4052959
Probably just shit coders. I mean, Bloodlines, a 1994 Mega Drive game, had some weird slowdowns, like whenever you killed a harpy and if it bled, the game would grind to a halt.
>>
>>4052685
Not only gradius3 but every arcade port on snes was slowdown.(except street fighter2 because it can play even on PCengine).
But it make game easy to play for console.
When play in real speed this game was very Hard.Lost one life is lost game.

That time I not know it slow because I never play arcade and gradius2 on NES is same speed. We only play fast game on arcade and genesis not NES SNES GB GG PCE ,Then that time if you not arcadegamer you not care about slow
>>
File: image114.jpg (25KB, 256x239px) Image search: [Google]
image114.jpg
25KB, 256x239px
>>4052724
>Yeah but no good programing in the world allows them to go over the sprite limit.

Hold my beer
https://youtu.be/0w-U-9izrGs?t=290
>>
Why don't you negores just accept that you had a shit childhood and be done with it? I address to both the nintendo-only households and the sega-only households.
>>
>>4053784
Why do you get offended by console wars? That's even more pathetic than picking a side and engaging in it.
>>
>>4053549
What's crazy is that Rendering Ranger is ALSO a slowrom, just like Gradius 3.
>>
Reminder the SNES had technically the largest sprite limit of the generation, it's just that the slow processor severely crippled the amount of action on screen.
>>
>>4053813
I'm not offended (are you, though?), I was just dropping some advice.
>>
>>4053549
that's not fair, manfred trenz had pretty much mastered every variant of the 6502
>>
>>4053854
>I'm not offended
Then why whine about console wars? Your 'advice' always falls on deaf ears.
>>
>>4053876
Why do you whine about people trying to help people who had to grow up in a single-system household?
>>
>>4053880
There's always some pretentious holier-than-thou faggot that thinks he's better than everyone else on /vr/ because he claims that he owned multiple consoles as a kid. Guess what, nobody cares about your childhood or your pointless preaching.
>>
>>4053886
Seems like you're salty other people were able to own more systems than you as a kid, anon.
>>
>>4053886
>Guess what, nobody cares
You evidently care, console warrior-kun.
>>
>>4053893
Nah, it's cute you think anecdotal evidence adds any substance to your posts, though.
>>
>>4053901
Why do you get so salty though? It seems even the idea that someone else might have had a better childhood than you really gets on your nerves.

Video game consoles weren't ferraris, if your family wasn't dirty poor, it wasn't an impossible.
>>
>>4053912
>nintendildo
So it was australia-kun after all.
Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>4053912
You still didn't tell us if it was your step-dad or some random guy who fucked your mom who beat you up while playing nintendo when you were a kid.
>>
>>4053906
Like I said, I don't give a damn about your childhood, I was satisfied with mine. What I'm annoyed at is your stupid bitchposts where you try to psychoanalyze anon's posting behaviours. You can't "treat" fanboys, just let them do their thing and get it out of their system.
>>
>>4053921
>I was satisfied with mine
That's why you're still fighting for it on an anonymous image board, 30 years after the fact?
>>
>>4053925
Where did I do that?
>>
>>4053921
Why don't you follow your own advice and let people post whatever they want?
This way all you're doing is prove the other anon right in that your childhood was shit and you're trying to make up for it by shitposting here.
>>
>>4053912
Because they have no other logical arguments to present.

That's your brain on Nintendo.
>>
Bieng a Sega fan, I'm ashamed I have to share the fandom with mentally-ill people such as Australia-kun.
In fact, I'll just say I don't consider him a Sega fan, he's just an anti-Nintendo guy. Please don't think all Sega fans are like him, we aren't.
>>
>>4053935
Ya he's an Amiga fan
>>
>>4053935
Australia-kun isn't even a Sega fan, he's an Amiga fan that falseflags as random sides in console wars.
>>
>>4053934
The guy who makes fun of people who only had 1 consoles growin up never stated to be on Sega or Nintendo's side.
In fact, that's one of the traits of being an idort: you don't need to pick a side.
>>
>>4053941
>In fact, that's one of the traits of being an idort: you don't need to pick a side.
We all know it's just Nintendo-only peasants pretending to be idorts in order to cop-out arguments.

"You didn't like my SNES game? Oh yeah? Well you didn't own a SNES!!"

Notice how you never see this type of shitposting in Sega threads, because Sega fans are happy with their superior products.
>>
>>4053959
>We
Speak for yourself.
And nah I've seen equal amounts of shitposting on Sega threads.
Sega has also more USA vs Europe shitposting than any other company threads due to Australia-kun being bad about yanks.
But still, having been a single-system peasant must have suck.
>>
>>4053959
>Notice how you never see this type of shitposting in Sega threads
But I did, plenty of times.

Are you just desperately trying to move away from your single-system peasant status? Because you were one as a kid, and will always be one.
>>
Man I feel bad about australia-kun.
Yes he is not very sane, so what? Give the guy a break.
>>
File: trump_wrong.webm (777KB, 480x434px) Image search: [Google]
trump_wrong.webm
777KB, 480x434px
>>4053973
>Because you were one as a kid
>>
>>4053979
Once a single-system peasant, always a single-system peasant.
Emulators don't count.
>>
>>4053983
>Emulators don't count.
Good, because I owned several systems from numerous companies before emulators even existed.

Are you sure you're not just projecting your shitty childhood onto others, now?
>>
>>4053985
If you've owned several systems frm "numerous companies", then why do you get so mad when other people call console warriors on their crusade?
Are you sure you're not a single-system peasant who is lying about having owned several systems from "numerous" companies?
>>
File: SNES-gunforce_front.jpg (61KB, 475x320px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-gunforce_front.jpg
61KB, 475x320px
Thanks to the people bitching about console wars, the thread's been successfully derailed.

Let's get back on topic: more action games that run terribly on the SNES.
>>
>>4053985
Seems like the whole shitty childhood accusation thing struck a nerve over there.
>>
>>4053991
That game is terrible in general. Shame about Geo Storm sharing the same name with that piece of shit.
>>
>>4052685
I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this in thread already, but it was one of the early SNES games and devs were still trying to get their heads around making the most of the console's architecture.
>>
>>4054043
UN Squadron came out less than a month later and didn't suffer from such atrocious slowdown though.
>>
>>4053998
The arcade isn't a bad game, the SNES port is shit and was developed by some shovelware western company
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.