[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Campground Arcades

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: arcade.jpg (39KB, 550x412px) Image search: [Google]
arcade.jpg
39KB, 550x412px
>early 90's camping with family in Minnesota.
>we pull up to our spot to the familiar sound of gravel crunching under station wagon tires
>tell parents I'm gonna explore, early 90's so they're not worried about pedos abducting me
>immediately go to concession area to check out arcade
>flimsy swinging door flops open to a room with usual pool/pingpong/foozball table bathed in slanted, dusty golden light
>single, unmarked arcade cabinet against the wall.
>fuck. it's gonna be a long week.
>sounds of kids splashing on the nearby beach through the window
>I'll check out this game first then head out.
>look over screen, no distinct markings for any specific game
>slam in a precious quarter, display pops to life
>SELECT A GAME
>Super Mario Bros, Snow Bros, Contra, Metroid, etc...
>Select Metroid, 10:00 timer pops up in upper right corner
>Put in another quarter, 20:00 now
>Best camping trip ever.

I wish I could have met the guy who put that cabinet together. I had never seen anything like it and haven't since. Campground arcades were always my favorite part of "roughing it".

Have you found any diamonds in thr rough at campground arcades?
>>
My family had a seasonal lot on a campground in Minnesota. They had a pool table, a T2 pinball table, a NeoGeo cab and cruising USA in the lodge. Then there was a separate building that had a shit load of games in it. SF2 CE, MK2, nba jam, and a bunch more I can't remember. That place was pretty awesome back in the day. The whole campground was pretty huge too. I think its still there, but prob different owners.
>>
i hope u still went outside and saw nature anon
>>
bumping for interest
>>
>>4052581
There was an actual nintendo brand coin-op like this, my arcade had one. If it wasn't in the same cabinet then it was probably just recabbed, as i recall it was pretty early from like 1987

in the early 90s all my parents were worried about was pedos abducting me, and as a result basically kept me on a leash and let me do nothing by myself ever as a kid. It's hard not to be bitter so so many years later.
>>
>>4052581
KOA campgrounds often have game rooms with old video games in them. I stayed at one in central CA around 2002 or 2003 that still had a EM game and a jukebox with 45's that didn't appear to have been updated since about 1982 or 1983. And it had the only coin-op Atari Basketball machine I've ever seen.
>>
File: PlayChoice-10[1].jpg (240KB, 560x1048px) Image search: [Google]
PlayChoice-10[1].jpg
240KB, 560x1048px
Can people really not know what a Playchoice is? It's possible that it was a literal NES in a cabinet with a ching chong multicart and a timer from a hot tub or w/e but more likely PC-10 if this story takes place in the US.

Also, the kids were on the milk cartons starting in the mid 80's. Child snatcher paranoia was on its way you're lucky your parents weren't in on it.
>>
>>4052581
The closet i have been camping was at a summer camp i went to years go and there were not arcade machines in that turnpike rest station that i remember.

I remember vending machines but the camp i went too did not have a arcade machine (even thou if it did they would have made some money on it as bored as shit teenagers tired of would have lined up to play it) Mobile phones existed at the time but there were still alot of factors that could have made it worthwhile.

And even if there was an arcade machine in that turnpike rest stop we would have been told to get the fuck off of it as it went solely to take a piss or shit and on the upside at least the ones who ran the camp did not give a shit about video games unless it was during chapel or at a competition.

I never saw any portables get confiscated while i was there and neither did they preform random searches either.
>>
>>4052851
I guess it was good in a way as it was a couple of weeks of my life in nature with the shit food, getting blisters and being in nature for once as a way to spend a week every summer not playing video games.
>>4052624
>Can people really not know what a Playchoice is?
Not everyone grew up in the age of arcade dominance the most you will ever see outside of special arcades designed for retro is fucking pacman or galaga and anyone with a play choice 10 outside of that either moved it into storage or sold it off once the NES went the way of the doo doo.
>>
File: 1496636586717.jpg (441KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
1496636586717.jpg
441KB, 1280x851px
Something about arcades in random places is always the best, like at hotels/motels, pizza places, snack shacks at a park, etc.
I only ever got sent to super religious summer camps, which were still fun but not really the kind of place you'd expect to find arcade cabinets. One of the counselors did bring a SNES and some games for us to mess around with though, which was pretty cool. Mortal Kombat and Demon's Crest were among the games he brought funnily enough. Good memories of playing SMW and drinking Shasta through sour punch straws then having camp-wide water gun wars followed by intense games of capture the flag at night.

OP is it okay if this is just a general arcades in non dedicated arcade settings thread? I have some neat stories to share if that's okay with you but I don't want to change the topic too much.
>>
>>4052921
>Something about arcades in random places is always the best, like at hotels/motels, pizza places, snack shacks at a park, etc.
This finding arcade machines at pizza places is the best. I remember seeing Ms pacman and Turbo as a kid in pizza places (the original machines).
>One of the counselors did bring a SNES and some games for us to mess around with though
There was no TV sets at the camp i went to as a kid however they were not stingy either i mean they did let us fuck with the other cabins via sending mail or even pretending to and they helped me in my skit one year (when i needed music from the internet to fit in with the mask i bought).
>Good memories of playing SMW and drinking Shasta through sour punch straws then having camp-wide water gun wars followed by intense games of capture the flag at night.
I have memories of watching other people play games and playing GTA for a bit on my PSP on the bus to camp and outside of gaming there was capture the flag at night and water gaga as well.

My experiences with video games at camp was watching other people play them mostly my only wish is that i could go back in time and install a ms pacman machine near the soda machines so i could have played pacman on a actual screen (not the GBA scrolling shit).
>>
File: remembering satan.jpg (23KB, 224x300px) Image search: [Google]
remembering satan.jpg
23KB, 224x300px
>>4052624
Yeah mid 80's to early 90's was probably the height of child abducting paranoia with all the satanic ritual abuse bs going on
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.