[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shining Force vs. Fire Emblem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Shining Force Title.jpg (30KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
Shining Force Title.jpg
30KB, 640x479px
Looking for a little insight here. I'm a huge fan of Shining Force (both 1 and 2), I've played them both many times.

Has anyone here played both Shining Force and the Fire Emblem series? If so, which did you prefer? What did you like about Fire Emblem that you didn't like about Shining Force, and what did you like about Shining Force that you didn't like about Fire Emblem? What do they have in common? How do they differ?

I'm considering trying out Fire Emblem, but I don't want to sink 20+ hours into a game if it's not going to be something that I'll like.

Thanks in advance, /vr/.
>>
One is casual tier, the other is babby tier.
>>
I've liked SF since I was young but only recently started dabbling in FE. I guess some (all?) FE games have permadeath, and by my reckoning are a little bit more challenging. But overall they definitely scratch the SF itch, and I think that if they don't do it for you, you'll at least realize it before losing 20+ hours of your life.
>>
>>4051624

I like SF far more than FE for the characters and the tone.

If you're looking for a similar game to SF, you're better off playing FEDA: Emblem of Justice on the SNES.
>>
>>4051624
Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither of these games (back then) allowed grinding, right? You couldn't say "Man, Chapter 10 is rough, I'm gonna play chapter 9 over and over again until I do it"

I like that over some other games in the genre
>>
>>4051819

OP here.

Well, in Shining Force (both games), you can kill all but one enemy in a battle, then escape the battle (either by casting Egress, or using an Angel Wing), and when you return to the battle, all enemies are alive again, allowing you to grind. I don't know about Fire Emblem.
>>
there are some fire emblem games that allow grinding the gba sacred stones great game nice story give it a try
>>
File: artbook_02_hedoba.jpg (190KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
artbook_02_hedoba.jpg
190KB, 600x840px
I like Shining. It's more, for want of a better term, honest.

It's a simple fairy tale about a team of good guys saving the day from bad guys. Not complex but it's got a sense of magical adventure.

Fire Emblem is just somehow both incredibly dry but also incredibly bloated. Things like the weapon triangle, perma death and RNG stat growth don't make the game more complex they make it annoying and only invite resets and memorization to cheeze your way through. It's not Xcom
>>
>>4051819
No Fire Emblem allowed you to grind until that one GBA game. In Shining Force you could escape or lose and it would simply reset the next battle for you to grind some more.
>>
>>4051819
LOOKING AT YOU, DISGAEA.
>>
>>4052637
Disgaya is trash and not retro.
>>
>>4052637
>>4052641
What about Rhapsody?
>>
>>4052652
Too easy, not grindy enough.
>>
tactics ogre is the only respectable choice
>>
I'm surprised the dude obsessed with 3 hasn't appeared yet
>>
>>4051672
and you're fag tier
>>
>>4052138
FE2 let you grind and some of the others had arenas , although they were either only on certain maps or had a finite number of enemies
>>
>>4051624
Shining Force 1 was the game that got me started on TRPGs so I have a lot of nostalgia for it. The gameplay is pretty simple and not particularly strategic so it doesn't rank very highly in my TRPG list nowadays. I did appreciate the light-hearted atmosphere and stuff but the awful balance and terrible AI made the maps play out too similarly and it felt repetitive at times. Still, not a bad game by any means.

Shining Force 2 was a lot worse in my opinion, the writing was overall a lot worse and the game seemed to pad itself with lots of really boring exploration segments and tons of tedious, brainless 'random' battles. It was just a chore to play. And the core battle mechanics were still broken as ever.

Generally I prefer TRPGs that have some more mechanical depth and encourage the player to plan out complex, reliable tactics for each chapter. What I like best about the Fire Emblem series (Thracia 776 in particular) is the level design. Each map seems to be very deliberately designed in order to encourage different tactics, so the player will have to utilize all the tools in their arsenal to achieve the best result. The map design keeps the gameplay feeling fresh and varied and the basic mechanics are still simple and intuitive just like Shining Force.
There's no towns or exploration parts in Fire Emblem so you may miss that. Also FIre Emblem games are more serious in tone than Shining Force. If you're a shining force fan than check out the rest of the series as well; CD on sega cd, gaiden 3 on game gear, and SF 3 on saturn. And look into other TRPGs: Tactics Ogre, Langrisser, Front Mission, etc.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.