[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

N64 frame rate on many games is abysmal. Any point in playing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

File: Conkersbfdbox.jpg (88KB, 410x300px) Image search: [Google]
Conkersbfdbox.jpg
88KB, 410x300px
N64 frame rate on many games is abysmal. Any point in playing the originals of games like Conkers, Zelda, Donkey Kong 64, etc instead of emulating ? Some multiplayer games like mario kart 64 and such seem to have decent fps though.
>>
The only reason why emulators have better framerates is because they are inaccurate as fuck.
>>
>>4050008
When I was a kid I didn't even know what a frame rate was and I enjoyed all three games you mentioned immensely. Quit being a snob and just play the fuckin game.
>>
>>4050010
This
>>
Well emulation for N64 is complete trash for starters

Plus, sometimes the framerate is essential. I heard the virtual console release improved frame rate of Donkey Kong 64, but certain mini games became unwinnable because of it.
>>
>>4050040
But now we DO know what good framerates look like and it's impossible to go back.
>>
>>4050008

Frame rate is not an issue for Conker. This ain't a fucking twitch shooter or Dark Souls.

Most of you that bitch about FPS are simpletons that are easily influenced by what you hear from Totalcancer.
>>
>>4050119
>twitch shooter
Well it sorta is, in the zombie and war levels.
>>
I don't think I've even noticed frames dropping on any of those three, you should play Jet Force Gemini or Perfect Dark in High-res mode to see true hell.
>>
>>4050190
Yeah, but that draw distance on JFG though...
>>
>>4050040
Nobody gave a shit about framerate back when 5th gen was current. It was all about GRAPHICS GRAPHIX GRFIX.
>>
>>4050106
I made the one where you heard beavers, already the hardest, even harder.
>>
>>4050125
>twitch shooter
>Well it sorta is, in the zombie and war levels.

This has a specific meaning, anon. Those sections involve shooting, but it's a stretch to say they rely on twitch gameplay. The controls in Conker aren't really designed around that kind of stuff.
>>
>>4050663
Framerate is important even in slow shooters, though, it's important for aiming.
>>
>>4050010
Inaccurate, yes, but having a higher framerate is always a good thing.
>>
>>4050108
Says you. I was playing Chameleon Twist just yesterday.
>>
>>4050040
Just because you didn't notice it doesn't mean others didn't.
>>
>>4050678
there are actually unironically people who would disagree but im sure its just because theyve spent hundreds of dollars buying those games. i don't get the appeal to accuracy, i don't mean in regards to graphical glitches and so on as those should be fixed but i feel like emulators should strive to remove limitations and make playing on the emulator the best way to play the game not "preservation" which has no objective value at all
>>
>>4050740
emulators ought to have two modes, one that emulates the console as it was for people who want an autistically authentic experience, and another mode the removes fps dips and fixes graphical glitches, etc
>>
>>4050794
>people should waste time developing their emulators to be accurate, therefore inherently flawed, instead of spending that time actually optimizing so two people who wouldn't even play on emulators to start with because muh authenticity
nah, one or the other. a project needs focus
>>
>>4050008
>>4050740
>>4050678
One of the impressive things about the N64 is the performance. The only thing that was better was arcades. The 25-30fps on a lot of titles were forgiven because of that. There was even 16:9 support.

I don't get why people want to break that.
>>
>>4050794
youre an idiot
>>
>>4051395
you can't see why someone would rather play games at 60 fps over 25 with framedips? or at the highest resolution their monitor can output? without fog? or without the shit blurry filter enabled? i don't see why people are content with mediocrity, emulators are the ticket to playing those games at the best experience absolutely possible, and unlike you i don't understand why people actively stunt the games they supposedly love. the only people wanting authenticity aren't even the people who would play on emulators because that isn't authentic
>>
>>4051395
>The 25-30fps
More like 15-20fps
>>
>>4051414
I want to play the game. I don't want some turbo autist born in 1999 to tell me how it should be played because he thinks it looks better.
>>
Yeah no, fuck off. If the game was made to be played on 25fps, it plays like shit on 60fps without also optimizing everything else.
>>
>>4051420
so don't turn on the options? im arguing for options, you are the controlling turboautist here faggot
>>
>>4051416
I don't play PALshit.
>>
>>4051425
Wanting the game as it is mean I'm controlling? K, kiddo.
>>
>>4051427
No, I mean, huge titles like Zelda OoT were capped at 20 fps. I ain't making this up.
>>
>>4051424
>i like starfox 64 with massive slowdown!
>i couldn't beat megaman without frame drops!
>i liked kings field at 5 fps!

>>4051430
you are saying people shouldn't have the options because you are a nostalgiafag
>>
>>4051432
Yes, on PALshit.
>>4051434
>nostalgiafag
K, kiddo
>>
>>4051436
there is literally no other reason, there is no objective value in preserving low framerate and low resolution, nostalgiafag
>>
>>4051436
>Yes, on PALshit.
No, on Everyshit.
>>
>>4051438
>there is no objective value in preserving a game as it is
K, kiddo
>>
File: poit.jpg (140KB, 421x316px) Image search: [Google]
poit.jpg
140KB, 421x316px
There is a middle ground, I think. If you emulate it with better graphics, but the gameplay isn't massively affected then I don't think there's a problem.
The question is knowing when the gameplay has been affected. Even as recently as last month we had a release of Vanquish which was broken at framerates of like 60+ fps with the enemies doing too much damage. Obviously this isn't going to be as pronounced with console games because they're clocked to 50/60Hz (which the emulator emulates) so you're not going to get as wide a range of rates as you can on PC. This does raise the question of how you tell you're not actually playing a harder version of the game, or one with broken AI.
There are also some genres (I'm thinking of shmups) where the slowdown was there during development so the game was balanced around it, so playing at full speed is both harder and not as intended.
I think 90% of the time though, playing a game at full speed shouldn't affect gameplay a massive amount
>>
>>4051440
im glad you agree
>>
>>4051445
>. Even as recently as last month we had a release of Vanquish which was broken at framerates of like 60+ fps with the enemies doing too much damage.
Why can't Japs code good engines for shit?
>>
>>4051439
I see this parroted a lot. Never seen it proved. Not that I really read up on it.
>>4051445
>>4051447
>Middle ground in ruining the game
No
>>
>>4051445
>>4051450
>Vanquish
What the fuck is Vanquish? Some emulator?
>>
>>4051451
>Middle ground in ruining the game
It all depends, you're not going to ruin Ogre Battle by playing it at full speed 1440p because the actual gameplay isn't beholden to how fast the game is running (maybe RNG would be derived from the current frame so if you're running at a lower framerate you would have different outcomes/luck compared to when running at 60?)
>>
>>4051453
Apparently it's some metal gear shooter.
I don't care.
>>
>>4051489
Oh the QTE/cinematic modern trashbag game only known because retards say it looks like a good SEGA game. ie like Burning Rangers and Gunvalkyrie.

Figures these underage pushing for 60fps N64 games would like that trash.
>>
Megaman Legends, after playing the PC version, was unbearable
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.