[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RasPi CRT Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: $_1.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
Thread dedicated to discussion of CRT use with the Memeberry Meme or whatever we're calling it these days. Share tips for connecting to CRTs, favorite emulation software, 240p frontends, etc.

Anybody used one of these Gert VGA666 adapters? I bought one and hooked it up to the GPIO pins on my RPi3b, put the requisite lines in the config file, and... nothing. No signal out at all. Disappointing to say the least.
>>
>>4049462
>nothing. No signal out at all. Disappointing to say the least.
You are doing something wrong then.
>>
>>4049478
I'm gonna bust out the multimeter and check the pins when I get back from work today, but I cannot imagine what I could have messed up...

>put the connector firmly on the GPIO pins
>delete references to HDMI out on the config.txt
>insert the three or so lines that enable VGA out into the config.txt

That's seriously it. I'm hoping somebody else here has used one of these and can tell me if I've somehow missed a step.

Keeping the thread alive, I've had great success with composite out through the 3.5mm jack with a camcorder cable. Only issue is weird rainbow patterns appearing on jagged edges. Something to do with the colorburst settings.
>>
>>4049484
What kind of monitor are you trying to connect it with? Consumer TV or Computer CRT? Few CRT TVs support a VGA signal, it has a different frequency than Composite/RGB/etc.

>Only issue is weird rainbow patterns appearing on jagged edges.
Common Composite artifact, nothing to do with your Pi.
>>
File: 20170606_132030-1152x864.jpg (261KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
20170606_132030-1152x864.jpg
261KB, 1152x864px
>>4049491
Good to know about the composite artifacting, I did not know that.

Trying to connect to a NEC XM29+, they're pretty well renowned for accepting anything short of smoke signals.

To troubleshoot I also tried connecting it to a modern Dell LCD and it didn't detect any signal either. I wonder if I somehow messed up my pins when I attached the VGA adapter. It required quite a bit of force to mash it down all the way flush.
>>
File: 20170609_104322-864x1152.jpg (120KB, 864x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170609_104322-864x1152.jpg
120KB, 864x1152px
>>4049491

I wonder, was I supposed to leave some pin exposed? I just put the 40pin connector right on top of the GPIOs and pushed them flush.
>>
>>4049484
Composite out on the RPi is noisy garbage. Don't use it.
>>
>>4049507
Why do you think I'm burning my brain trying to get VGA out working? At this point I'm considering getting one of those cheapo HDMI to VGA converter boxes as a stopgap. They're pretty shit though.
>>
File: 51N5lhrhR+L._SL1500_.jpg (47KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51N5lhrhR+L._SL1500_.jpg
47KB, 1000x1000px
Would using one of these HDMI to VGA converters instead introduce lag? I'd imagine so since it has to convert a digital signal to analog.
>>
>>4049828
Nope, the DAC in an external box like that is fundamentally no different than the DAC in any graphics card.

I've used one to play light gun games with no issue.
>>
>>4049462
>whatever we're calling it these days
Reddit Pi
>>
>>4050891
Better than a Wii.
>>
What exactly would I need to convert the video output from a modern graphics card to a YUV component signal that could be displayed on a normal US CRT television? I kind of want to build a mini-ITX HTPC that could output retro games to my CRT and more modern games to my LCD.
>>
>>4050929
You couldn't be more wrong
>>
>>4050958
YOU couldn't be more wrong.
>>
>>4049462
Can you play 240p DVDs and VCDs there using an external DVD drive?
How do I play videos in 240p complete with scanlines?
I have a few bootleg 240p DVDs from China and I also burned some of my video game recordings on 240p DVDs and I don't want them to be upscaled to 480i or 480p.
>>
>>4049462
dtoverlay=vga666
enable_dpi_lcd=1
display_default_lcd=1
# For 1920x1080 60Hz (1080p)
#dpi_group=2
#dpi_mode=82
# For 1024x768 60Hz
dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=16
# For 800x600 60Hz
#dpi_group=2
#dpi_mode=9
>>
Got a RetroTink adapter for component out. Really wanna use recalbox, and not retropi but I'm not sure yet if it makes a difference.

I think I forgot a few lines of commands in the conf, but when I went to reinstall recalbox the fucking microsd adapter or usb port disconnected on me and the card's corrupted as shit.
>>
>>4049859
Any adapter like that with particularly low latency?
>>
>>4051316
Pretty sure anon's saying they are all well below human reaction capabilities. Why complicate matters?

Just decide whether you want audio breakout or not and call it a day.
>>
>>4051351
Not just below human reaction times, effectively zero, the resistance of a few more cm of wire. What the active DAC in any adapter does is no different from getting VGA any other way on modern electronics, and the only latency will be in whatever emulation software you're using.
>>
>>4051081
>watching videos in 240p with scanlines

This is peak /vr/ and honestly kind of wrong but now I want to do it too
>>
>>4050958
tell me why a Wii is better
>>
>>4051590
Costs about 10x less than a retropi rig, native 240p without a bunch of hacks, no USB input lag if you use a model with GCN ports, plays GCN and Wii games, is an actual console and not a children's hobby-electronics device, to name a few.
>>
>>4051598
>a bunch of hacks
>literally one line of code to be put into a config file.

maybe you shouldn't be using a computer kid. USB input lag is minimal and is the same as it would be on a gaming PC. I'd much prefer deal with a few ms of lag than play a SNES game with a gamecube controller. I also would much rather have the superior MAME support over playing some shitty gamecube and wii games.
>>
>>4051667
>using mame
>thinking editing a text file makes you a 1337 hacker
>praising pc gaymen, but then using a toy computer
>saying kid
>actually thinking anyone plays retro games on a wii with GCN controllers
holy shit, I don't even know where to begin. enjoy your summer, reddit will still be there when you get back.
>>
>>4051707
I meant mame as in arcade support in general final burn alpha on wii sucks too. I never said editing a text file made you a hacker I said writing one line of code in a config file doesn't equate to "a bunch of hacks". I called you kid because that shouldn't be an issue for anyone who isn't an 8 year old but thinking back on it most children are probably better with tech than you are. Why even mention GCN controllers in regards to emulation if you never intended on using them. Your shitty arguments against the pi got blown out and now you're trying to cover your ass by calling me a summerfag. The wii is a piece of crap have fun trying to play marvel vs Capcom or any CPS2 game for that matter. Also playstation 1 games run way better on the pi than the wii.
>>
>>4051804
1. unclear
2. yes, you did.
3. >reddit
4. I never said anything about GCN controllers, simply the ports they, and other controllers use.
5. >implying you 'blew out' anything anout my argument
6. >implying MvC2 is wort playing when MvC exists
7. the pi is objectively a piece of crap
8. >not having a PS1
>>
>>4051821
>one line of code into a text file

where does it say that is a bunch of hacks? you're just upset and retarded. It's more powerful than the wii and does emulation better you have no argument other than one line of text I apparently said was a bunch of hacks. The wii is better than a pi1 sure I'll give you that but the pi2 and 3 both blow it out of the water. How does me talking about PS1 emulation have to do with no owning a ps1? I do have a PS1 but play on PS2 cause of drive speed increase and I can use component with PS1 games on a CRT.
>>
>>4051856
w e w
>>
>>4051667
>I'd much prefer deal with a few ms of lag than play a SNES game with a gamecube controller

This. I tried to play Super Metroid on my Wii and had to quit before Norfair
>>
>>4051902
I played Zelda 2 with a gamecube controller on the collectors disc back in the day and it was not a pleasant experience. Loved the game but it was even harder than normal because of that
>>
File: megaman7.jpg (2MB, 2229x1159px) Image search: [Google]
megaman7.jpg
2MB, 2229x1159px
raspberry pi outputting component with the retrotink board
>>
File: magical quest.jpg (2MB, 1920x1416px) Image search: [Google]
magical quest.jpg
2MB, 1920x1416px
>>4052240

it's hard to take pictures of the CRT with my phone
>>
>>4049828
>>4049859

How do these things work anyway?
>>
I had a pi2 for a while and loved it. The experience was top notch.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.