[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suikoden thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14

File: What kind of name is Tir anyway.gif (36KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
What kind of name is Tir anyway.gif
36KB, 320x320px
Who is your starfu?
Have you played Genso Suikogaidens?

Suikoden II is one of my all time favourites, but I finally got to play through the first game, too. While it was good, it really made me appreciate the sequel's improvements over it's predecessor.

Such charming games. Do any other games capture the same cozy atmosphere?
>>
File: capture.jpg (167KB, 656x518px) Image search: [Google]
capture.jpg
167KB, 656x518px
>>4047972
1 and 2 are probably my favorite JRPG series. If only 3 was finished the way the creator intended. Because you finished 2 before 1, I assume you never used Tir in 2? It's pretty fun fucking up the bosses with Soul Eater.
>Do any other games capture the same cozy atmosphere?
The non retro ones? Not really. I thought the first few chapters of 3 were pretty good even though it's had a different way of telling a story compared to 1 and 2. 4 was very bland, I didn't get attached to any of the character. I don't remember much about 5, aside from it felt very long and boring. Many people liked 5 though.
I fucking love both games' OST, probably my favorite PS1 OST beside Chrono Cross
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djd3B7H7N_0
>>
I recently played thru 1 after years of wanting to. It was a somewhat painful experience, it is easy to tell Suikoden was Konami experimenting with something new. I had lots of fun with with, however, and really liked the game.

Once I started 2 I got why there's so much praise for it. Not only is it a ridiculously well made game, it is such an overwhelming improvement over 1 that it's hard to not appreciate it. I honestly have next to no complaints about the game up until where I played it (a bit after defending the village with humans, kobolds and that one other race).

Too bad real life overwhelmed me to the point that I had to temporarily drop it, but man, what a great game. Am I far into the game? I'd guess not, since I don't have that many stars already.
>>
You cunts are delusional.
>>
File: CQj9rlZU8AA8GR1ori.jpg (60KB, 496x700px) Image search: [Google]
CQj9rlZU8AA8GR1ori.jpg
60KB, 496x700px
>>4048079
Yeah, 1 felt really clunky for a PS1 RPG. But if you can accept the flaws, it's a pretty good game. Fuck the inventory system though.
>Am I far into the game?
A bit I guess. At least you finished the "prologue" and got your Headquarters already.
>>
>>4048067
I only played 1, I should look for 2 in some local shops and see if they have it.

On an other note, one thing you can't hate on CC for is the music.
>>
File: Chris Casual.png (176KB, 228x561px)
Chris Casual.png
176KB, 228x561px
It gets a lot of hate for its battle system but Suikoden 3 is actually a fantastic entry into the series. The graphics hold up well. It only took me 3 or 4 playthroughs to appreciate it. Training your squad for war battles is awesome too, when you can earn those Major Victory trophies.
>>
>>4048457
Same, I thought up until the last chapters Suikoden 3 was great. It's very exciting to be able to see events from different point of views. The battle was a bit problematic but it's manageable (also easy to break and make an OP character). The only things I really dislike from it are the strategic battles and the few last chapters when the story went ballistic.
>>
Suikoden I II GOATS.
>>
>>4048457
Best intro of any jrpg hands down
>>
File: wildarms_screen001-550x.jpg (42KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
wildarms_screen001-550x.jpg
42KB, 550x413px
>>4048839

let's not go writing checks we can't cash
>>
>>4049027

10/10 best intro for an RPG. That tune is so perfect. Wish we'd get more WA games, 1, 2, and 3 were great.
>>
>>4048839
2's opening isn't that bad too, the music at least.
>>
File: IMG_8675.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8675.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>4048839
However, if we pass into the not-/vr/ territory...
>>
>>4049083

Abyss was better not the game just the OP. Bump of Chicken is hard to top
>>
>>4049090
I almost forgot that one. It's a really good song but if I recall correctly they used an instrumental version for the american release? There's an anime adaptation and it has OP with vocals plus superior animation, so I'd say that's the definitive version. It's excellent, but Vesperia will always be extra special for me.

Btw, when did Tales start to have the anime opening movies? I recall Eternia at least having one.
>>
>>4049114
>Btw, when did Tales start to have the anime opening movies? I recall Eternia at least having one.
Tales of Destiny (PS1) the second Tales of game. Phantasia (SNES) already had a song (with vocal) opening but no animation.
>>
>>4049114
>Btw, when did Tales start to have the anime opening movies?

Every since the move to PS1

>>4049123

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq_mj6tn88s

Gonna be completely honest? I prefer the instrumental. Tales openings honestly more often than not tend to strike more as some kind of gay pop ballad than they do fantasy adventure and for better or worse the English version gets that
>>
>>4049127
I already accustomed Tales of games to J-pop songs so I never had any problem with the Japanese OPs and some of them are pretty nice (in terms of j-pop songs).
>>
>>4049137

I don't have any issues with the songs by themselves so much really it's just a weird fit
>>
File: suikoden folder.jpg (126KB, 364x482px)
suikoden folder.jpg
126KB, 364x482px
>tfw you have the urge to start expanding your Suikoden art collection again
>>
>>4051053
>tfw you have unlimited suikoden art but decide to post an image of a folder

anon pls
>>
File: 1283670335976.gif (49KB, 212x407px)
1283670335976.gif
49KB, 212x407px
>>4048110
Heads up, 2 is way overpriced last time I checked.

I found it a long ass time ago in a pawn shop, inside the same case as, and with, Suikoden 1 for like 10 bucks or something.

Its so damn sad old video game prices are way out of control today.

Also, I unironically think 3 is a good game. The different perspectives was a neat way to start the game. Thomas is a shit, though.
>>
>>4047972

Played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

4 was fucking atrocious, easily the worst of them. It didn't help your character wore fucking daisy dukes and pranced around, either.

1 was great, 2 was great, 3 was meh, 5 was amazing and probably the best of the series.
>>
>>4051562
Well I'm sure as shit not going to dump the whole thing all at once. If you or anyone else has any requests, I'll post what I got.
>>
>>4047972
only complaint is in 2 you cant get gremio and mcdohl until postgame
>>
>>4052536
>only complaint is in 2 you cant get gremio and mcdohl until postgame
His sidequest will start not long after you visited Toran Republic/Gregminster (as long as you have the save data of course) and after that you can always put him in your party, including against the final boss, as long as you're patient enough to go all the way to Gregminster.
>>
File: Rachel01.jpg (59KB, 371x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rachel01.jpg
59KB, 371x600px
>>4051737
>4 was fucking atrocious, easily the worst of them.

Tactics is actually legit pretty good though if you like SRPGs. Which is doubly great for me becuase I do and I like a number of 4 SoDs so seeing them get to be in a good game was a nice treat
>>
File: 1436755859806.jpg (47KB, 575x630px)
1436755859806.jpg
47KB, 575x630px
>all-squirrel party
>>
>>4049027
That's not Chrono Cross.

Anyway, Suikoden was great. It makes me said that they'll never tie up all the stuff they introduced throughout the games. But I guess it's good that it went when it did, I can't imagine Konami handling it now a days
>>
File: 40588972_p0.jpg (448KB, 600x888px)
40588972_p0.jpg
448KB, 600x888px
>>4052645
Yeah, it's way better for the series to die a quiet death. I'm surprised they haven't made a Suikoden mobage, maybe the series just isn't that popular in Japan.
>>
File: world.jpg (726KB, 3442x2900px) Image search: [Google]
world.jpg
726KB, 3442x2900px
>>4052645
>>4052658

Well up until they did that shit with Hikusaak and entropy in 3 there wasn't really a lot of tying up to do. A lot of the stuff about the true runes was just world building and better left as mythology than an outright narrative hook.

I think where a lot of fiction goes wrong is trying to explain things better left unexplained. Some questions are more fun and interesting as questions and are better left as tools to surround the characters and make their plights more engaging but not define them.

Still can't believe they left persmerga out of 3 entirely with how much of a focus Yuber was though 3 felt somewhat disconnected anyways
>>
File: CQj9rhUU8AEDjtk.jpg orig.jpg (56KB, 499x706px) Image search: [Google]
CQj9rhUU8AEDjtk.jpg orig.jpg
56KB, 499x706px
>>4052681
While you're right I still want to know more about some stuff, like how did Viktor give the vampire killing sword to the boy in 3. Seems like a fun story. Well at least we got Lucia's son as a protagonist in 3 and Georg's past was explained in 5.
>>
File: s3-edge.jpg (24KB, 180x580px)
s3-edge.jpg
24KB, 180x580px
>>4052783
>how did Viktor give the vampire killing sword to the boy in 3.

3 has this awful habit of constantly teasing us with stories that are more interesting than the story we got. Not just stuff with Edge but the entire Fire Bringer war sounds way more exciting than that stupid shit with the masked bishop.
>>
>>4049027
Fuck youuuu now I'll have this playing in my head for a week
>>
Suiko2 was translated by a couple of Gamefan editors. I was excited when I heard that, but then I tried to play it.
>>
>>4057047
What.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.