[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Connecting laptop to CRT TV. How good are these cheap Chinese

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

Connecting laptop to CRT TV.

How good are these cheap Chinese VGA to Composite/S-Video adapters you find on AliExpres?

It's not like I'm using some professional PVM or anything, it's an okay 32" TV, but it can't be awful right?

Is there any noticeable input lag?
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (11KB, 500x238px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
11KB, 500x238px
Uh, I had one similar to that lying around at my parents house and connected an old laptop to an old CRT TV I have on my room there...

It "works", I guess. You CAN play games on it. But if I hadn't had it at hand in the first place I wouldn't have spent money on it. It sucks.

The lowest resolution it'll let me go is 480p, which when shrunken down to a lower res S-Video signal looks BLURRY. Color fidelity is all wrong (everything looks blown out, and I mean REALLY blown out, not just the usual /vr/ autistic standars... whole color ranges are lost, must adjust color setting on video card panel just to make movies watchable). Also, the refresh rate can't be changed and is way too low for videogames, expect lots of tearing.

I say, if you're going to spend money, spend it on something that's at least made for your specific usecase. Check pic related ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/192116647418?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), I got it recently and I'm going to test it next time I visit my parents' house where the rest of the setup is.

Also, you may want to check this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/6aaw88/guide_how_to_run_retroarch_in_240p_on_your_vga/
>>
It's garbage, don't get it
>>
>>4047536
It will look the same or worse than just emulating using your laptop's built-in screen because they only do 480i ever. Any resolution you throw at it will be converted to 480i, and it is incapable of a non-interlaced 240p signal. So you will never get authentic scan lines using it, even on SD CRTs. It is decent for watching movies though, if your CRT has a larger screen than your laptop.
>>
>>4047565
>The lowest resolution it'll let me go is 480p
I meant 480i. Force of habit.
>>
I'm not sure if my TV even supports 240p? Isn't the PS1 480i?
>>
>>4047536
>Is there any noticeable input lag?
But really, which is nice, but that's pretty much the one good thing about these.
>>
It's just interlacing shit and outputting in 480i, how are console internal components any different?
>>
File: mlliXtQbjLGkAkB-dKXxUPw.jpg (4KB, 225x212px) Image search: [Google]
mlliXtQbjLGkAkB-dKXxUPw.jpg
4KB, 225x212px
>>4047536
If your laptop has HDMI or DVI, use one of these things instead. I never had much luck with the VGA adapters.
>>
>>4047653
It doesn't. It's old and does support TV-Out with the official Acer drivers, but they're shit.

Generic drivers work better but no TV-Out. Only Progressive output is supported, I think.
>>
>>4047653
How's the quality on these things? I'd like to get something at least as similar as using just cheapo composite video with an old console. My PC supports HDMI and it'd be cool to connect it to an old TV I have around.
>>
>>4047653

Have you actually used this or is it a theoretical meme?
>>
>>4047536
Why do you need a convertor?

Use VGA, cheap DIY VGA-to-SCART adapter and force 240p or 480p/i as the output.
>>
>>4047536
They're garbage. You will get a scaled interlaced 480i image which will be both blurry and flickery, and there will be input lag.
>>4047637
They output 240p which is a crisp and stable image.
>>
>>4047536
Total shit.

>>4047653
>>4047716
Massive lag. Close to 150ms. But does a decent job with the picture. Should be fine for RPGs
>>
>>4047602
no.
>>
>>4047818
you seriously expect tech illiterates on /vr/ know how to do that?
>>
>>4047602
Some games are 480i, some are 240p.
>>
>>4047536
My laptop has RCA out built in. It's okay but doesn't fit the screen quite right at most resolutions. I have a headphone jack/RCA adapter that came with the xbox 360 so it does work with sound. I play DOS games on it sometimes. I'll post a pic later.
>>
Just for the record, what about 480i and 480p converted to 480i on one of those? Specifically PS2 (Pcsx2) as a parameter.
>>
>>4047536
I actually sperg'd out and compared the exact one you have pictured to a direct svideo connection from a laptop to a Trinitron. I used Kirby Super Star samurai mode to test lag. Scores were similar, with the converter being behind by maybe a point (1 frame I believe), so lag is not severe at all. Quality is a bit rough, too 'sharp' with things meshing harshly, but it can be adjusted. It's good enough on the cheap, though. You'll get more lag from emulators themselves.
>>
>>4049853
That's some really accurate scientific testing you've done there lad. kek
>>
>>4049853
I played my PS1 through an RF connection and my PS2 via composite through the years. I have no idea what a quality display with RGB is even supposed to look like.

Buying expensive scalers and shit is hard to justify.
>>
File: SAM_0232.jpg (617KB, 1696x954px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_0232.jpg
617KB, 1696x954px
>>4047536
i have a TView Silver that works ok, except for some rippling
i use it to play a /vr/ themed, non-/vr/ game
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.