[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Late '90s Konami

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: konami.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
konami.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
What the fuck happened to Konami during and after the 32-bit era, /vr/?

>Castlevania genre-shifted into some crappy RPG/adventure spin-offs
>Contra got outsourced to some terrible European developers
>they gave up completely on their beat 'em up scene
>Rocket Knight was forgotten completely

Literally the only franchise that made it out unscathed was Gradius/Parodius.
>>
They went from being arcade focused developers to home console focused.
>>
>>4045951
Rocket Knight? ROCKET KNIGHT?!? WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT ROCKET KNIGHT!!! WHAT ABOUT FROGGER? WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT GAME, HUH?!?
>>
>tfw they have the Hudson library
>>
File: froggersback.png (147KB, 256x310px) Image search: [Google]
froggersback.png
147KB, 256x310px
>>4045981
Frogger actually got a fun game on the PSX/PC.
>>
>>4045951
Gradius only made it out unscathed if you don't consider Otomedius to be a Gradius game.
>>
>>4045959
>overrated meme
Also not retro.
>>
>>4045959
Gradius V was a fine game though, arguably not as great as previous entries, but having a mediocre at worst entry doesn't mean the series was ruined, compared to the other franchises that got buttfucked.
>>
>>4045951
Konami went downhill and never recovered. Now they're a Pachinko focused company.
>>
>>4046072
We have a janitor that can't handle '''wrong''' opinions.
>>
>>4046072
Probably because there was a guy who used to spam anti-Treasure threads a while back.
And Gradius V isn't even retro so it's not the place to discuss it.
>>
>>4046074
I had never got any post of mine deleted, and I post a lot of different opinions that other people may consider wrong.
Then again, I don't use meme words like "overrated", I actually try to explain why I don't like certain games/devs.
>>
>>4046076
>And Gradius V isn't even retro so it's not the place to discuss it.
We can discuss it here because it's an installment in a retro series, like how Megaman 9&10 don't get deleted from Megaman threads even though they came out in like 2010.
>>
>>4046000
That sold a shitton.
>>
>>4045951
Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, DDR, Suikoden, the Castlevanias and Gradiui. ZOE was solid, albeit not /vr/. I'm sure the Winning Eleven series did well somewhere for there to be so many of them.
>>
>>4046175
Winning Eleven was quite popular here in Brazil. I know we are 3rd world country but I find it interesting that up today someone release a patch that updates a lot of teams rosters.

My music teacher only plays Winning Eleven because, in his own worlds, its the most challenging football game
>>
>>4045951
>Castlevania genre-shifted into some crappy RPG/adventure spin-offs
Debatable. A lot of people like Symphony of the Night and the later IGAvanias. And it's not like Konami didn't experiment with the Castlevania brand in other sub-genres (see the N64 and PS2 games).
>Contra got outsourced to some terrible European developers
And then they made the two PS2 games in-house. Contra 4 (by WayForward) wasn't half-bad either.
>they gave up completely on their beat 'em up scene
Beat-'em-ups were a dead genre by the late 90s. Even Capcom stopped making them after Battle Circuit.
>Rocket Knight was forgotten completely
Sparkster was never that popular to begin with. It only had two Genesis games and a stand-alone Super NES entry. Hardly a relevant franchise. It's not like Goemon, which had dozens of entries before they stopped making them after that one Nintendo DS game.

>>4046067
>Muh pachinko meme
It's not even the same Konami.
>>
>Muh pachinko meme
No point making video games when your target audience is too fat to play.
>>
>>4046198
>A lot of people like Symphony of the Night and the later IGAvanias.
And many more preferred the Classicvania style, hence why CV1/CV3 became the norm instead of Simon's Quest.

>And it's not like Konami didn't experiment with the Castlevania brand in other sub-genres (see the N64 and PS2 games).
PS2 Castlevania was pretty much IGAvania in 3D. N64 also had some adventure elements as well. They were all pretty poor, though.

>And then they made the two PS2 games in-house. Contra 4 (by WayForward) wasn't half-bad either.
Yeah, Shattered Soldier was actually the last great classic-style Konami game. Contra 4 had that dumb screen split though.

>Beat-'em-ups were a dead genre by the late 90s. Even Capcom stopped making them after Battle Circuit.
Until they would get revived as the character-action genre, anyways. I guess Konami didn't really care about the transition.

>Sparkster was never that popular to begin with. It only had two Genesis games and a stand-alone Super NES entry. Hardly a relevant franchise. It's not like Goemon, which had dozens of entries before they stopped making them after that one Nintendo DS game.
Sparkster's a pretty popular IP, actually. Lots of people remember RKA fondly.

Also Goemon got hit kinda hard too with a few crappy games on PSX, and Shin.
>>
>>4046078
Maybe you just don't have an opinion that triggers the janny.

Or maybe you're actually the janny defending your power abuse.
>>
>>4046369
I'm not a janitor or a mod, and I don't think there's only one janny/mod either.
Also, as I said, I don't go around posting memes like "this game sucks because it's overrated" ir "this game sucks because it's dated", I always try to expose my arguments and explain why I don't like a game, that's why I suspect I don't get my posts deleted, I don't shitpost.
Anti-Treasure people (the 1 or 2 that always post here) failed to provide a real argument against Treasure, they could only come up with "overrated by normies" and "gimmicks", people on these threads were willing to debate, but the anti-Treasure guy kept calling anyone who didn't hate Treasure a "Treasurefag".
Probably at some point the mods noticed it was always the same guy by checking the IP and started deleting his posts.
We should try to make this place better than /v/.
>>
>>4046265
>And many more preferred the Classicvania style, hence why CV1/CV3 became the norm instead of Simon's Quest.
And then they felt out of fashion after IGAvanias came along.

>Until they would get revived as the character-action genre, anyways. I guess Konami didn't really care about the transition.
They produced GodOfVania and Metal Gear Rising last generation. Character-action is a dumb name for that sub-genre by the way. Who the fuck came up with it?

>Sparkster's a pretty popular IP, actually. Lots of people remember RKA fondly.
Remember fondly ≠ Big franchise. It only had three games (plus that one weird PS3/Xbox 360 revival). Sunset Riders is remembered fondly, but it was never a franchise either.
>>
>>4045951
Treasure left and took their best devs with them is what happened, anon.
>>
>>4046801
I like how people who think they know anything about the relation between Konami and Treasure pretend as if there was some massive exodus from one company to the other when in reality it was just three or so of their programmers (two of them being the guys who worked on Castlevania IV and Contra III).
>>
>>4046143
Obviously we are allowed to talk about new games made for old consoles and new consoles designed to run old games, but there are other exceptions to the 1999 rule.

Based on past mod history, we can talk about non-retro games and hardware as long as they're strongly related to retro games or hardware and the non-retro content isn't the primary focus of the thread.

This is why we can reference new Mario games in a Mario thread or talk about modern re-releases and collections of classic games.

There also seems to be an unofficial rule against talking about YouTubers, but the mods haven't actually made a statement about this so it could just be one butthurt janitor deleting those threads.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.