[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-imposed rules when retro gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: FB_IMG_14932312686084381.jpg (120KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_14932312686084381.jpg
120KB, 480x360px
Do you use save states?
Do you avoid using guides?

If the game was released BEFORE the massification of the internet, do you play WITHOUT looking for help online? I apply this

We're not talking about using the actual consoles. It's all about HOW we play.
>>
For exploration-heavy games or dungeon crawlers I'll draw my own map instead of looking one up online, if that counts
>>
I use save states to practice, but don't count a game as "beat" unless I can clear it without save states, and without getting a game over.

I don't use wallthroughs unless I get really stuck.

I'm in the process of GITting GUD
>>
I usually just look up the game's manual. If it's a game with full game overs I may use savestates to practice difficult segments.
>>
File: IMG_1703987583406.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1703987583406.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
I only save when I'm done playing. If I resume, die and get a game over, i just start again. Beating a game like megaman is rewarding as fuck if you don't cheat

>>4045650
That's real fucking neato. Show pics
>>
I sometimes use save states as a replacement for passwords or save spots, if the game suits it.
>>
I use savestates instead of passwords
If a game is too hard for me I just drop it for the time being
sorry ninja gaiden, I ain't redoing those last three stages
>>
File: Metroid 2 map.png (1012KB, 3392x2085px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid 2 map.png
1012KB, 3392x2085px
>>4045669
I do cheat a little by allowing myself to use a computer so I can move stuff around as necessary.

Here's Metroid 2, yes I know it's missing some stuff.
>>
>>4045648
I can only use save states on two of my retro consoles. Even then I rarely use them. Mostly for testing things not actual game play.
>>
>>4045648
been playing mario rpg and ff5 lately

>never give up a fight, run or use everything you got even if its "elixir" type items against fodder enemies
>don't go out of your way to grind, getting exp should be the least of your priorities
>don't hoard equipment, sell whatever you don't need
>refuse the need to explore 100% of everything, just go with the flow

I try to remove every aspect of my playthrough that may feel like a chore within the game
>>
>>4045908
Where are you currently at?
>>
>>4045684
This. I'm not memorizing Mega Man passwords.
>>
I play without savestates until the game becomes a chore and stops being fun. The alternative is either dropping the game entirely or watching a video of the ending, which is worse than savescumming a little imo.
>>
>>4045648
I throw quarters out the window when I play MAME...
>>
When the game lets you save whenever you want, even mid-combat, I try to only load states made in safe zones. Except when the game crashes
>>
>>4045684
>>4048535
You could take a screenshot. Savestates save things which PWs don't, like number of lives or sometimes E tanks too, or more, so it's still cheating.
>>
>>4045648
I generally follow the rules until I get angry
>>
>>4048869
I flick pennies into arcade machines
>>
>>4048869
That's how the developers intended, yes.
>>
>>4049353
The developers wanted you to have unlimited money, but that sadly wasn't the case.
>>
>>4045716
This gave me all kinds of memories of playing Metroid 2.
>>
>>4045648
>Do you use save states?
only for practice
>Do you avoid using guides?
no, but i don't read guides immediately
Also i try to beat the game without using continue
>>
>>4045648
>Do you use save states?
Only to resume where I left off if I need to put the game down for a bit.

There are some instances where I'll use them before a tough boss that takes a little while to reach. It's not like getting back to the boss is difficult, just tedious and time consuming.

I try to avoid it unless i've exhausted all possibilities and it's been a day of trial and error.

I also use it for pokemon games because the methods for evolving or the conditions for finding certain pokemon have become so weird and specific that it's complete bullshit to expect people to find it out on their own... but that's not retro I guess.
>>
I use guides because there were around in the 90s, also people back then used to pass around tips on how to beat popular games all the time. When I'm stuck in, say, Majora's Mask I have no problem with checking the walkthrough now and then
>>
>>4050084

I used to buy guides for games I've already beaten in the 90's because they were actually pretty cool back then and they had the rights to use more than just screen shots and had neat art work.
>>
My only rule is You die in the game you die in real life. I may not have any friends now, but at least I know they were hardcore like me.
>>
>>4045648
>Do you use save states?
Sometimes. I'm playing Zelda 2 currently and so far I haven't made one.
Only when stuck. Already failed in Zelda 2. The item in an empty house without any hints of it being there and when you have to talk to a sleeping monster for three times were bullshit. I'm really enjoying the game though.
>>
>>4045650
This. Fuck the original LoZ without the manual. I felt like bomberman meets the human torch for the most part of the game. The burning bush was the first thing to do after i bought the candle but i didnt figure the wall bombing until i tried to kill a guy in a dungeon with a bomb
>>
>>4050189

I didn't need a guide or a manual to beat the game desu, though I never found the heart container that you have to burn down a specific tree to get it. I found everything else.
>>
>>4045648
I only use savestates if I've already beaten the game before in the past.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.