[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Gex ever actually popular? I mean, the guy got a bunch of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: Gex_004.jpg (71KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gex_004.jpg
71KB, 1024x768px
Was Gex ever actually popular? I mean, the guy got a bunch of sequels, so he must have had some fanbase.
>>
i liked it
>>
It's always tail time.
>>
>>4045590
I have the first two games on PS1.
>>
He was, but after the 5th gen, Crystal Dynamics decided to shift to Tomb Raider only and never looked back.
>>
Gex was build on the imbecility of customers (especially parents). Spend most of the budget on marketing, little on the game.
>>
It was Croc tier, a good semi famous franchise with reasonable sales but not really a big hit.
>>
[spoilers]It's tail time
>>
>>4045796
Gexposters, everyone.
This is the the kind of kid who was retarded enough to think Gex was funny and cool.
>>
It was originally a 3DO game and sold quite nicely for that (considering). Of course no one every fucking remembers that always assume it's a PS1 game.
>>
>>4045928
I actually had a magazine reviewing the 3DO version. Good times.
>>
He seems to be popular enough that every time I see him mentioned on the internet it rouses a discussion from people who remember him fondly. I honestly think he could've been one of the greatest mascots of the industry, but they just stopped paying attention to him and he fizzled out.

To his credit, his games were pretty good-- I actually think Enter the Gecko is one of the best titles on the PSX. Even from a sales standpoint he was a success; the third game was the best selling adventure title on the PSX in the year of its release. But then in 2003, Eidos Interactive assigned Crystal Dynamics (whom Eidos acquired a few years prior) with the task of making the even more popular Tomb Raider games. I guess they just couldn't afford to dedicate the time or resources to realize Gex's potential.
>>
i remember the first PC game being alright
>>
>>4045590
Personally I loved Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko. Bought a burned copy from the market back in 2000 for $5
>>
>>4045590
They're some of my favorite games. Not the best, but I really like them. I kind of wish he kept going or had a comeback, but maybe it is for the best.
>>
The controls were so goddamn slippery, but that's to be expected from platformers of that era
>>
>>4045776
Certainly you're confusing Gex with Bubsy.
>>
File: tumblr_oczjhccv5k1qet5hfo1_500.png (184KB, 457x422px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oczjhccv5k1qet5hfo1_500.png
184KB, 457x422px
>>4050525
Which is weird because the only association between the two I can think of is just that they're 90's mascots and life partners.
>>
What a lot of people don't realize is that, up until around the mid-2000s, seeing a reference in an piece of media to another piece of media was a big deal. Gex must have been somewhat groundbreaking at the time purely for it's humour.
>>
>>4048963
>>4048940
there, see! I loved them too; and humor made me laugh a lot, and I used to quote him a lot :D

one line in gex three: I'm out of order, You're out of order, This whole level's out of order!

I had just finished watching that movie and that line made me laugh so much.
>>
>>4050525
Against all odds, Bubsy is getting a new game. I suppose if Bubsy can have a comeback anyone could. Fingers crossed for a new Gex but realistically I don't expect anything.
>>
>>4050570
uhm, no. bubsy is with conker and you can stop your terrible shipping.
>>
>>4045928
My friend had it on the 3DO. I picked it up for the PSX because of him.
>>
>>4045835
Gex was a genuinely fun set of games imo. The comedy wasn't always a hit but it was always charming and the variety in level design and mechanics unique to certain levels felt like reward enough.
>>
>>4050847
The only shitty game was Gex 2.
>>
Gex 2, for whatever reason, is the most nostalgic game for me. Everything about it made a huge impression on me as a child. Honestly it and 3 are kind of shit. The original game is a solid 2D platformer though.
>>
>>4050797
I thought it was canon that Bubsy cucks Gex with Conker.
>>
File: IMG_0848.png (817KB, 640x828px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0848.png
817KB, 640x828px
>>4051012
Not really cucking considering Gex is just a customer of hers.
>>
>>4045796
>[spoilers]

What did he mean by this?
>>
the one shitty animal mascot that got appropriately popular and died at the proper time. I can't complain.
>>
>>4045754
you cheered me up lad. Thanks.
>>
>>4045590
Honestly, playing Yooka Laylee feels more like a Gex successor than a Banjo game.
>>
The n64 version was shit.
>>
Only played the GBC games. Loved them
>>
Op games were less expensive to make back in the day which explains why a piece of shit like Gex can get multiple games.
>>
>>4053846
This. Videogames used to be like fucking comic books in how easy they were to greenlight.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.