[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sony marketing boss just called /vr/ users a bunch of morons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: nes-classic-edition-box.png (40KB, 394x350px) Image search: [Google]
nes-classic-edition-box.png
40KB, 394x350px
> "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"

http://time.com/4804768/playstation-4-ps4-pro-psvr-sales/
>>
File: thestartofcancer2.png (149KB, 1152x1124px) Image search: [Google]
thestartofcancer2.png
149KB, 1152x1124px
>>4045294
They're smart? The PS4 demographic only cares about if their machine can stream and when the next CoD and GTA is coming out.
>>
>publishers and console makers want you to believe that video games constantly get better so you keep buying their shit at the high price

... and you just realized that now? You're late.

Also noone cares. We all know this.
>>
if ps2 never had it then nobody would be bitching
>>
>We project that current movies will be technically outdated and completely unwatchable within 50 years

kek
>>
>>4045307
retard
>>
>>4045307
Current movies are terrible promo for shitty action IPs that have existed since the 70s, and rely totally on special effects to create spectacle and theatricality. I fully believe they will mostly be unwatchable in 50 years.

This does not apply to anything made on real film.
>>
>>4045294
Wasn't Gran Turismo all about the realism in the first place? If I wanted to play one of them I suppose I'd rather play the newest one.
>>
>>4045307
For every classic movie from past decades, there are 50 shitty ones that you don't remember and neither does anyone else.

It's eaiser to just port those few classic games to modern systems every so often instead of sinking incredible amounts of time and money into backwards compatibility.

Kinda like how they don't make VHS casette players anymore, instead you see classic movies released over streaming and blue-ray.
>>
>>4045381
that analogy makes no sense, hombre.
>>
>>4045349
GT was always a simcade, if you want heavy ass realism you should stick to Papyrus titles or Grand Prix series. Anyway, they're some of the most solid racing games for each gen, it really bothers me see someone agreeing with that ceo retarded statement
>>
>>4045342
>in 50 years

Less. Go watch a special-effects action movie from the early to mid 2000s. Get ready to cringe your face inside-out at the glaringly terrible CGI and throwaway pop culture reference one-liners.
>>
>>4045430
It is a retarded statement, but I thought it had a hint of truth in a series about driving simulation and realistic car models. I'd imagine each new game on a more powerful system would be closer to those goals than the last.

I don't know much about the series. I played a bit of the first game and read the back of the case and that's the impression I got.
>>
>>4045443
>type "2000 action movies"
>first result is X-men
Actually it impresses me as the effects still hold up pretty well 17 years later. Some dated movie you can remember atm? I love watching this kind of thing, but the most recent I can remember is Reboot, I was so impressed watching that as a kid and now... I'm less impressed, but still impressed about how they did it in a time when 486s were the rule in computing power
>>
>>4045294
>When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility
meaning you made an emulator but didn't release it
> I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much
fuck off, how can you say noone uses it when you never released it

> the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?
This is what's wrong with modern gaming, fags caring more about specs and graphics then actual gameplay. Fuck this gay earth.
>>
>>4045301
PS3 had backwards compatibility too.
>>
>>4045542
They just want to keep selling digital copies from PSN.
>>
>>4045301
>if ps2 never had it then nobody would be bitching
All models of the PS3 had some form of backward compatability in them with the original ones being a to play PS2 games and even the newest ones being able to play PS1 games.
>>
>>4045294
>marketing boss

That's your cue to stop reading. Assume what is said is whatever bullshit he or she believes will do the company best at that moment in time as opposed to anything based on hard facts or even their own genuine opinios.
>>
>>4045294
>I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,
My PS3/4 were mostly used as a netflix TV source. That doesn't mean I didn't want it to be able to play BD or DVD or the video games I actually paid for. And while I might not watch my DVD collection all the time, being suddenly robbed of the ability to watch these hundreds of films I own without rebuying it would make me angry.
the jump from VHS to DVD to BD was done by including new things in the repurchase, be it higher quality recordings, commentary, extras, built in options for subtitles, whatever. If all Sony offers me for buying SotN in the playstation store is the ability to play it on the current console, I will be frustrated and dissatisfied. I already bought it. I would like to not have to physically pull another machine out of storage to play a title. It's pretty straightforward.
>>
>>4045567
Pretty much this. They see backward compatibility as a liability. They want you to buy the same game over and over again. And when you get tired of that you can rent it from them with their game streaming service.
>>
>>4045342
Is the original Godzilla unwatchable?
>>
>>4045421
They're not casting aspersions on the games themselves, they're just think that backwards compatibility doesn't actually seem to get a whole lot of use compared to how loudly people complain about it.

Backwards-compatible hardware is a huge pain in the neck and raises the cost of the machine. Backwards-compatible via software is really really really hard to get right for all the games people might want to play. All that effort for apparently not that big of a payoff.
>>
>>4045296
They've won every console war they've entered.
>>
>>4046352
Define "won". Sales? Number of games? Best games?
>>
>>4045294
I agree. Most PS1 games look like shit, and millennials aren't interested in stories that don't involve tranny brown people having copious amount of sex with animals.
>>
>>4045296
You spelled XB1 wrong.
>>
>>4046606
What is XB1?
>>
>>4046627
The fourth Dreamcast console.
>>
>>4046634
Oh the XBox. Basically the same demographic when talking about the XBox One and PS4..
>>
>>4045294
It's true
I, like many others, had the phat PS3 and used the PS2 mode "maybe" 5 times. It's just kinda lamey and more of a hassle to switch discs than having a dedicated legacy console hooked up. I could see why nobody would play that shit on PS4.
Not /vr/
>>
>>4045558
and so did the PS Vita, though that was digital only
>>
File: x1 bc numbers.png (51KB, 577x333px) Image search: [Google]
x1 bc numbers.png
51KB, 577x333px
>>4045294
kinda ironic how the company who loves remasters asks why anyone would play old games
>>
>>4045294
he's right, polygon games age poorly
>>
>>4046657
I had PS3 as my only hooked console and played PS1 and PS2 the same as PS3.
>>
>>4045307
He's right everythimy out now are jdufmtpsbcbfmelri
>>
>>4045558
Only a few of the early models could play PS2 games.

And no, a fat model isn't that deciding factor of backward compatibility.

https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Play-PSone-and-PlayStation-2-Games-on-a-PlayStation-3
>>
>>4046657
Modern televisions only have HDMI and Displayport ports.

Playstation 2 does not support this.

>BUT MUHHHH ADAPTERS!!!

These do not work on larger screens (49 inches or above), or with any Samsung or ironically enough Sony television.

Just give us fucking backwards compatibility.
>>
>>4046352

Pretty sure the Wii beat out the PS3, objectively (i.e., sales).
>>
>>4047720
Is it really that hard to find a HDTV with component?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.