[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pinball General: Gottlieb Defense Force Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: sfpinball.jpg (2MB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
sfpinball.jpg
2MB, 1224x1632px
In the last pinball thread, people were talking about the lackluster quality of the 90s Gottlieb games. I went out to my arcade last night, and look what was new.

I don't think this game was ever highly regarded, partly because of it's adaption of it's license (lookin' good Chun-Li), but I actually thought it was pretty good. The layout is really cool and unique (the Spinning Piledriver ramp is fucking awesome), and the simple rules based around defeating all the fighters work well.

I agree with others that the 90s Gottliebs can't compare with the WMS games, and I'd probably put them beneath Data East as well, but with some exceptions, they're still a lot of fun. They have a very different feel to them, and feature some really cool and memorable gimmicks.
>>
High resolution shots of the new Star Wars pinball are out. Pro on left, Premium/LE on right. More going on than was visible in the low definition versions.
>>
>>4045065
That's actually one of the worst pinball machines ever made. Everyone agrees upon this. Just read an entire lengthy thread about this with many details and supporting evidence.
>>
>>4045997
Where can I get one of these? It's fucking amazing.
>>
>>4045065
Cool.
>>
>>4046203
Any reliable authorized Stern distributor. $5,395 for the Pro and $7,395 for the Premium. That's shipped-to-your-door prices, actual machine should be about $400–500 less if you pick it up from a local one. So those are the prices for it to be trucked to your house in its original box brand new. Shipping hasn't begun yet, they're not out yet. I'm sure distributors are taking deposits though to make sure you get first dibs.
>>
>>4046203
Seems like that area in the back accelerates the ball in the Premium toward the "hyperspace ramp" which is above the normal wireform on the right, then the ball zooms at high speed through that U-curve and nails the Death Star, eventually resulting in its cracking in half with a spectacular light show.

Will try to find the video of IGN dicking around with a machine but I've heard they don't know anything about pinball and make the table seem less than it is.
>>
>>4046203
Also it has a high def LCD screen for the scoring / video displays instead of the old dot-matrix board. Haven't seen what goes on there yet.
>>
>>4046415
Got it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJYVRjAUsA
>>
>>4046440
Apparently they must have meant that the videographer doesn't know pinball, there's no commentary at all. Just features pretty much. New information though.
>>
>>4046440
>>4046408
Very fucking nice.

>>4046404
They cost 40k on my currency
Thanks Brasil!
>>
>>4047170
SOPA
>>
>>4046002
How so?
>>
>>4047214
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/street-fighter-2-is-terrible
>>
File: star.wars.feature.matrix.jpg (249KB, 762x917px) Image search: [Google]
star.wars.feature.matrix.jpg
249KB, 762x917px
Star Wars feature matrix
>>
>>4047825
That really doesn't seem like "details and supporting evidence". That just reads like some guy upset about two of the gimmicks and the artwork and animations more than anything else. He doesn't say anything about the actual layout or rules.

I honestly don't feel there are any truly "bad" tables when in a public setting. If you were choosing a game to buy for your home or add to your personal collection, of course you'd only pick one of the absolute best if you could. In a public arcade where it's among other tables, who cares if Street Fighter isn't all that great overall? It's still fun to play.
>>
>>4048407
No it isn't, it's fucking shit. Why wasn't it built by Capcom Pinball Company? I'll tell you why, because Premier already bought the rights and ruined its good name forever.
>>
>>4048407
Whereas you do say much about the actual layout or rules (as if it has rules). Game is shit and anyone who plays it by choice is shit.
>>
File: sf2playfield.jpg (141KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
sf2playfield.jpg
141KB, 576x768px
>>4048571
The layout is clever and interesting. The upper flipper has 3 possible shots, the target bank, single target, and loop. Both ramps raise and lower for two possible shots, and the upper sinkholes can be entered in different ways to score different awards.

As for the rules, I think the skill shot is great. First time the plunge to get the highest hurry-up value, and then collect it with the flipper shot. The multiball is challenging with the jackpots at each shot becoming available after the previous ones are scored. The Torpedo multiball is very exciting, and I like the bonus for it being added at the end of the game, kind of similar to "Clown Time" in Hurricane.

Car Crunch is pretty dumb, yes. The spinning flipper is weird and maybe too luck-based. Probably the biggest issue with the rules is the selection after defeating a fighter. There's really no reason to select the score over the mode start. The basic rules of defeating the 12 opponents are good, though. They make use of all of the shots on the playfield and the game has a good balance as a result.

Yeah, this is a lot of words to defend a 5-6/10 game, but "shit and anyone who plays it by choice is shit?" Not even close.
>>
>>4048496
>Why wasn't it built by Capcom Pinball Company
Because Capcom didn't have a pinball division in 1993.
>>
>>4048642
Premier games are poopy and that is a particularly poopy example of their poopy games. The key is to not let this poopiness get on you when you play it, perhaps by tricking yourself into believing the game is enjoyable. This is likely how one who enjoys the game becomes "shit" as per above. A Kombat game from Williams would have been better.
>>
>>4045997
>operator friend just confirmed to be ordering one and putting it on location at my favorite pub
I can't wait to see how it plays
i think i heard they carried over a bit of elements from game of thrones into star wars, that you choose a character and they have specific bonuses
>>
>>4049631
Han, Leia, R2-D2 for some reason, and Luke? Less selections than GoT, sad!
>>
File: empirepinball.jpg (316KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
empirepinball.jpg
316KB, 1200x900px
Speaking of Star Wars, has anyone here ever played the first Star Wars pinball machine? Empire Strikes Back, from an Australian company called Hankin (Anakin?). Looks like a cross between Firepower and Space Invaders. I've never seen one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9rH601DaVM
>>
Get ready for the pinball normie invasion, 10-inch and the blob putting out videos with TNT Amusements. Couple this with the Kardashian "Pinball Pussies" league and prices will be $10k by Christmas.
>>
>>4052307
No, please it's the only niche hobby I got left

Even /lit/ is run by normalfags now
>>
File: who dunnit pinball machine.jpg (663KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
who dunnit pinball machine.jpg
663KB, 2448x3264px
Have any of you played Who Dunnit? before?
I've had it at my house for almost 20 years and love it, but I think the instructions are missing and I'd like to figure out every detail of how the game is played.
>>
>>4052408
A few times. Seems like a great game, but I haven't spent much time with it. Here's a detailed rulesheet:

http://pinball.org/rules/whodunnit.html
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.