[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You must choose only one. Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (350KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
350KB, 1920x1080px
You must choose only one.

Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana?
>>
Chrono Trigger is actually finishable, so that.
>>
>>4044525
Elaborate.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (31KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
31KB, 320x240px
>>4044525
You never finished SoM?
>>
>>4044526
Every time I've ever played Secret of Mana, I'd get about 3 or so hours into the game, and sometime after beating that tiger boss on the top of that building and having all three characters, there's this forest with fog that's literally impossible to beat and there's nowhere else in the game for me to go to progress the story.
>>
>>4044515
I love them both, but CT, no question. If you had said SD3 instead, I would have to think about it a little more.
>>
Both are a lot of fun, but I don't think any would argue for Secret of Mana being the better game. Chrono Trigger is easily in the top five of all time, for most people who have played their share of vidya.

I mean, when a sound effect can give you as much nostalgia, emotion, and desire for adventure... you know you've got something special.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/chrono/ct/sounds/wav/leene.wav
>>
What's the best way to play the first Mana game?
>>
>>4044563
Emulation (with a joypad) or Wii Virtual Console.

I didn't know until the other day, but the Wii Shop Channel is still up and running? Like you can still buy and download shit. It's incredible.
>>
File: 1466182513682.jpg (1MB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466182513682.jpg
1MB, 640x960px
Secret of Mana all day. The music is easily worth giving up CT. Plus multiplayer. Also I thought the witch forest was challenging, not unbeatable.
>>
File: NintendoPowerVolume62Page67.jpg (1MB, 1000x1349px) Image search: [Google]
NintendoPowerVolume62Page67.jpg
1MB, 1000x1349px
The Wall Face game me nightmares as a kid.
>>
>>4044571
I was more thinking Final Fantasy Adventure, Sword of Mana, or Adventures of Mana.
>>
>>4044515
Chrono Trigger, because as far as Mana games go I'd rather play Seiken Densetsu 3 instead of Secret.
>>
>>4044515
Chrono Trigger.

I've replayed both recently. Secret of Mana isn't bad, but it's not interesting. You simply spam spells for every boss post-Spikey Tiger and that turns the game completely monotonous. Fighting anything in melee is a headache.

At least Chrono Trigger is honest with what it is, and every character is viable.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (177KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
177KB, 854x480px
>>4044530
You're supposed to go to Gaia's Navel I think. Read a FAQ or something. You didn't even get Flamie, dude, you're missing out on 80% of the game.
>>
>>4044515
I've got a soft spot for SOM tbqh, I still love CT, but the 'earthiness' of mana has a unique charm. To this day I still regret not holding onto mana tree poster that came with the cart. Each to their own really. You love CT? Good for you, I prefer mana. Shit is subjective. They're actually radically different games and should both be appreciated side by side, not in competition. Fuck I was playing Mana at 11 years old and CT was released 2 fucking years later. Why the fuck even compare them? They're both great.
>>
Without Secret of Mana we wouldn't have Seiken Densetsu 3.

Without Chrono Trigger we wouldn't... Chrono Cross.

I think the answer is clear.
>>
>>4044654
Went to Gaia's Navel many times and it was of no help.

>You didn't even get Flamie
I can get all three characters and the boss you posted is the boss I was talking about. I've only played the first few hours of SoM a few times and it's always years in between attempts because there's no way to progress further from that forest. Exploring the world map is of no help because it's a clusterfuck and I rarely end up where I intended to go.
>>
>>4044667
You just suck at games, I beat this when I was 8.
>>
>>4044681
Or maybe SoM is poorly-designed. I don't have problems navigating or progressing in most other games.
>>
>>4044663

Judging games by their sequels is pants on head retarded.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEq_srf6SeA
>>
>>4044684
I didn't either and again, I was YOUNG. You're just bad at games, son. And a whiny bitch at that.
>>
>>4044694
I've beaten Lufia II's Ancient Cave. Not bad at video games, SoM's just a mess.
>>
>>4044515
SOM is trash.
>>
>>4044515
I like Chrono Trigger more, so that.
never actually was a major fan of SoM

Would pick SD3 over CT though.
>>
>>4044667
You weren't listening to the conversations you shitlord. You are told specifically where to go. Witch tells you you need ice magic to enter underground palace and gives you the whip, then sage luca telepathically asks you to come back to the water palace and unseals undines cave for you. Theres a fucking teleporter that takes you directly there for fucks sake. How in the fuck could you miss it? I'm not even sure if you have the option of going anywhere else.
>>
SoM was my first ever RPG, so it has massive massive nostalgia value. That first feeling of epic adventure.
That said, I can look understand the view that as an overall package, Chrono Trigger has a slight edge
>>
>>4044702
Lufia is turn based and SoM is action based. You just suck at action games.
>>
secret of mana is shit so chrono trigger easily
>>
Reminder if there was no Secret of Mana or if the snes cd add on took off there would be no chrono trigger
>>
>>4044515
CT is better. I contribute valuable opinion.
>>
>>4044515
Som all day err' day
>>
>>4044739
>Lufia is turn based and SoM is action based.
That has no bearing on difficulty and you're heavily downplaying how much of a challenge it actually is to beat Lufia II's Ancient Cave.
>>
File: 1479309805366.jpg (19KB, 470x540px) Image search: [Google]
1479309805366.jpg
19KB, 470x540px
Chrono Trigger all day.
>>
Lufia II > CT

Terranigma > SoM
>>
>>4045641
to what end does it take for someone to have this bad of taste
>>
>>4045668
being european
>>
>>4045668
Being american.
>>
>>4045668
You should ask yourself that, since I'd say his taste is fantastic. Leave the Squaresoft bubble sometime.
>>
>>4045668
There's a special type of hipster who thinks they are a special snowflake for claiming to like ultra generic animu RPGs over the genre's best.
>>
>>4045641
>Terranigma > SoM
I'll give you that.
Lufia II was shit compared to Chrono Trigger though
>>
>>4045869
How so? Lufia II's story was stupidly retarded (the only good bits were lifted straight out of Lufia I), but the gameplay is a lot better than Chrono Trigger's, and has excellent visuals and music as well. The Ancient Cave alone make it a lot better as a game than Chrono Trigger, where you'll always have roughly the same experience, and where the difficulty decreases on every subsequent gameplay until there is none.
>>
I tried playing Chrono Trigger, and quit when I went to caveman times. The game is just absolutely boring. The battles are slow and easy, and special attack animations take a long time, in a classic case of an old game trying to impress with flashy graphics that aren't interesting anymore. The story is extremely cliche, and the characters aren't developed enough to give a rat's ass about. The graphics themselves are just ugly, the game falls for the realism meme and looks so stale, washed out, and many enemies and environments are simply ugly. Not one time in my hours of play leading to the time travel hub and beyond was I ever interested in the game. No challenge, uncompelling story, unappealing graphics. The only redeemable thing, in my eyes, is the soundtrack, which is pretty great, despite not fitting in the Best Soundtracks Of All Time category.

I 100% think Chrono Trigger is a bad game. Feel free to debate me on any of the points I've made.
>>
>>4046370
ur a fag
>>
>>4046374
Awesome
>>
>>4045887
Unless you're including the puzzles in Lufia 2's gameplay (which really you should be), it definitely has worse gameplay that CT, because at least CT's has some interesting party mechanics (and party options) as opposed to four characters who you can't decide on and who all do nothing interesting. I think CT is the better experience overall regardless; aside from the puzzles and the ancient cave, Lufia 2 doesn't have anything to set it apart from other JRPGs. Great puzzle game, boring JRPG.
>>
>>4045641
>Terranigma > SoM
Explain please. SOM is one of my all-time faves and if you're telling the truth then it sounds like I need to try Terranigma.

Is there an english translation of the 60Hz version, or just play the PAL version?
>>
>>4046524
There's an NTSC patch for the PAL version.
>>
>>4046380
he's right though, you're a flamboyant fag
>>
>>4044667
> there's no way to progress further from that forest.

It's a game for children, anon. And children generally had no trouble with it. When you play, you're just being obtuse and ignoring some fairly obvious clue or something. When you post about it here, you're just being obtuse and pretending the game is magically hard for everyone because you made a little mistake in it and got stuck, and then didn't try very hard to get unstuck. (I know you didn't try very hard because there aren't a lot of places to even go at that point and it wouldn't take all that long to try them all.)

Also, I've never played Lufia II but the Ancient Cave is easy, even though I don't know what it is. EVERYTHING in these old RPGs is easy for a fairly skilled adult player. There is no exception. Some tasks require a lot of time and stubbornness, but everybody's got those.
>>
>>4044515

As a kid, I had a better experience with Secret of Mana, which is the important thing I guess.

Today I'd certainly pick Chrono Trigger. Secret of Mana is relatively shallow, unpolished, and buggy, and its combat engine is somewhat awkward. Both are gonna be too easy; both have great music. Overall, Chrono Trigger wins.

That said, the only one of the two I've actually played recently is Secret of Mana, because I wanted to try some romhack version of it that makes it much more difficult. That was kind of interesting; the hack forces you to exploit one of the flaws in the engine (the fact that casting a spell or receiving a spell effect can make you briefly invincible) just to survive. I eventually finished the game, barely. It wasn't enormously fun though. Chrono Trigger probably has romhacks too; I imagine it could have a more interesting "hard mode" version than Secret of Mana could, since it gives you a more interesting set of characters and special moves and is less badly broken.
>>
>>4045668
>muh Toriyama
>muh square
>>
>>4046725
reason why secret of Mana suffers from so much is the fact 60% of the game was cut out to fit on a cart due to the snes cd add on never happening .
>>
>>4046370
Call me a fag all you want but I tried play CT, no nostalgia, and I absolutely hated every minute. I was so confused why it was hyped up. I guess you're all blinded by nostalgia. CT isn't a good game, it just had impressive graphics and impressive tech at some point decades ago.
>>
>>4046370
>>4047404

It's cool, I just replayed Final Fantasy 4 and 6 and feel exactly the same way.

Over hyped. Over loved. Boring, tedious games that offer you zero reasonable choices.

I find Chrono Trigger more enjoyable just because I think the story is more put together. The art and music definitely helps. The setting is more unique and enjoyable as a result.

I won't defend it. These days, I honestly think most JRPG's are a 6/10 at best. They're just boring, and that's honestly the worst thing your game can be.
>>
>>4044667
Are you playing it in ZSNES or something?

I remember ZSNES had a game-breaking bug where you couldn't proceed after a certain point because there's a teleporter that won't function.
>>
>>4046524
>>4046543

Terranigma's first 3-4 hours are probably some of the best in Action-RPG gaming. Honestly.

Of course, once Chapter 3 hits, the game takes a massive fucking nosedive in terms of quality and pacing.
>>
>>4047409
The only SNES RPGs I enjoy (of the ones I've played) are Earthbound (great story and atmosphere, interesting levels, appealing graphics that are great to look at) and SMRPG (barely a jrpg, jampacked full of fun shit like secrets, minigames, sidequests, etc, and funny and looks fantastic and colorful). My favorite ever is Mother 3, that game is just incredible. My faggot self cried a little at the end, the story is so good, the music, the visuals, the battle system... Perfect. All the RPGs I like need a story and character cast that really connects with me, appealing and colorful graphics, and a good battle system. I'll only give CT it's battle system, though the pathetic easy difficulty actually ruins that for me too, and sometimes the graphics are sort of appealing.
>>
>>4047412
Chapter 3 is awesome. It's open world so the pacing is different than the other chapters (which are all linear, even 4), but that doesn't mean it's bad. It even works thematically.

If you want something like Terranigma that's always on railroads there's always Illusion of Gaia.
>>
>>4044515
Secret of Mana with a friend.

You... do have friends, right?
>>
>>4047572
Chapter 3 sucks. It's not open world. You're completely railroaded despite what you may believe. Go play it again. It's super linear.
>>
>>4046401
Chrono Trigger has part management, yes, but its only twist is double and triple techs which end up being not that effective. Lufia II has capsule monsters and IP equipment, which is a lot more strategic and customizable, and you actually need to master and fine tune these elements in order to beat the extra content like the Egg Dragon or the Ancient Cave, and also to beat the extra challenges that the game offers during the course of its story like beating Gades when you first face him.

Chrono Trigger has nothing of that sort.

Also, while beating Chrono Trigger lets you watch different ending sequences and play the game on a perpetually easy mode, Lufia II unlocks a gift mode that allows to customize your party for extra runs. So it does have party management too.

>>4046706
>Also, I've never played Lufia II but the Ancient Cave is easy, even though I don't know what it is
Lol, okay. Go play it before you generalize. You can't grind in the Ancient Cave, and brute force and patience will only maybe, with luck, get you to the end. But you need to be very strategic to actually beat its final boss or to even get to it in fighting conditions. Of course, you could try looking for strategies online, but there's no guarantee that they'll work because no ancient cave run is ever the same.
>>
>>4047590
What you need to do is a linear sequence, but once you get the boat you can visit every single part of the world (sans Russia) at your leisure. That's the literal meaning of open world.
>>
>>4046524
The only thing SoM has over Terranigma is multiplayer. Music is on equal footing, I'd say, and then Terranigma is a lot better on gameplay, graphics and story. Go try it out and do play the English PAL version with the NTSC patch to remove the PAL slowdown. If you like action RPGs, it's as good as it gets.
>>
>>4047575
Not the kind that would play Secret of Mana with me, no.
>>
>>4047296
The mobile port fixes a lot of the gameplay bugs and playing it in any language other than English reveals a much richer storyline, which at least lets you see where they wanted to go with the game originally. The English translation is awful, you can barely tell there's a story buried in there.
>>
>>4047601
>visit every single part of the world
>world is full of useless items
>world is full of stuff you can't access until later

If you could do stuff in whatever order you wanted, then sure. Fucking Rhapsody: A musical adventure, at least allows you to pick when you can do stuff.

Terranigma is linear as fuck. It doesn't help the case that the parts immediately before you get the ship are easily the worst of the game (barring that awful Dragoon Castle)
>>
>>4044515
Secret of Evermore.
>>
>>4049554
>moving goalposts
>not liking Sylvain
>>
Chrono Trigger because Secret of Mana is a snooze fest
>>
>>4044515
Chrono trigger wins no contest.
Secret of mana aged like milk.
>>
>>4044515
Secret of Mana is really just not very good. The combat mechanics are kindof shitty, if I have to be honest.
>>
Mana, Trigger is generic boring shit.
>>
If I still had friends to play it with me I'd choose SoM hands down but since I don't I have go with CT.
>>
>>4044548
Hey...
>>
I heard rumors that /vr/ was like /v/ only civil and friendly and not nearly as horrible. This thread proved that so true.

Yall are alright, /vr/
>>
>>4047575
;_;
>>
Secret of Mana is nowhere close to being as good as Trigger.
>>
>>4044583
i don't think i've ever beaten the wall face
>>
>>4044515
Chrono Trigger easily. Hell, I even enjoyed Secret of Evermore over Secret of Mana because the story was funny and didn't take itself seriously; also the magic system was cool and more complex. I still enjoyed Secret of Mana when it came out, though.
>>
>>4046370
this is the typical guy who gives a famous game a 1/10 review on gamefaqs so people read him
>>
SoM
>>
>Come into thread
>everybody dissing the guy who got lost in the witch forest

I did this, my brother did this, every single other kid I knew who played the game when it came out did this.

>duhh you were supposed to go somewhere else you should know!!
backtracking and randomly going to a different place instead the place open to you at the time was not an element of most games back then.
>>
>>4044515

Secret of Mana is 10x more comfy imo.

SoM(though I let my copy go for 60 bux to pay rent).
>>
>>4052562
I feel you bro one time I had to sell my Record of Lodoss War box set to pay for an abortion
>>
Not really a fair comparison. How about instead, pick between Secret of Mana as it was designed for the Nintendo Playstation, or a full remake/remaster of Chrono Trigger by the entire original design team with modern sensibilities. That's a much closer contest.
>>
At least SoM is two player. Though it every boss fight just comes down to spamming attack magic. Charging attacks was really pointless and stupid past one or two levels, plus it took forever to level up a weapon. The story of SoM wasn't really that memorable either. I think SD3 is overall a better experience than Secret of Mana though it has a lot of bugs.
>>
>>4052643
Chrono Trigger doesn't need many fixes so of course I'd pick Secret of Mana to see it way better than it is now
>>
>>4044583
I know that feel bro.
Also the whole temple was so affraying for kid.
>>
Honestly I saw a lot of potential for Secret of Mana, but the combat system was just not what I wanted at all. Hitboxes in that game are atrocious. There were some decent action RPGs by that time that did it much better.

I think CT was delivered in a better way.
>>
>>4053092
Secret of Mana is basically a standard JRPG with turns being tied to your % meter for melee.

The hitboxes are absolutely terrible, which when you look at Magic, which is fucking broken, it turns the game into fucking menu traversal.
>>
why not FF6?
>>
>>4053402
>why not SD3?
Fixed that for you
>>
>>4044538
yes. you get it.
>>
>>4044583
I have never seen this art before! I had the strategy guide as a kid, but its been long since i peered into it. I love seeing stuff like this
>>
>>4044515
>choose
That's not even a choice, SoM sucks donkey dick and CT is one of the best games of all time
>>
>>4044515
>You must
Why? You're not the boss of me.
>>
>>4055136
I enjoy SoM quite a bit but find CT extremely boring. To each their own.
>>
>only one
Fuck you, I'd rather die than not have both. Both are absolute must-have games. Secret of Mana was my reason for getting a SNES (I actually bought the game before I bought the system, and had to play it at a friend's house until I had enough $ saved up to buy my own SNES). Chrono Trigger I got to play a week before its official release date, because I was friends with the owner of the local games store and he knew how much I wanted it (he still made me pay the full $80 for it though...).

Interesting story: Even though I knew Bomberman existed, I bought a Super Multitap just to play SoM with my friends. And the guy who we'd always force to play as the girl.. Now identifies as female. Funny how things work out.
>>
>>4044515
Usually I'd have trouble with stuff like this, but I'd say Chrono Trigger is the clear winner here. Secret of Mana is one of the most overrated RPGs on the SNES. The focus on babysitting your idiotic computer controlled team mates (or tame mate, if you're lucky enough to have a second player) is the game's fatal flaw. It would be several years and two more console generations before we'd start to see half decent team mate AI in JRPGs like Kingdom Hearts and FF12. SoM just wasn't there yet when it came to AI and the game would have been an awful lot better if you just had one team member that you control (with the option of adding a second player if you have a friend to play with).

I'm a pretty big fan of Chrono Trigger, but even if I was the sort of person who thinks it's kinda bland and boring, I'd still have to say it wins compared to SoM. Chrono Trigger just doesn't have that kind of immediately noticable game breaker.
>>
>>4055619
>overrated
People still use this unironically?
>>
>>4057087
It totally fits, for many people Trigger was the first rpg they played so they rate it unusually high
For a current gen kid who's played millions of other modern jrpgs before Trigger seem pretty lackluster
>>
>>4047595

If there's randomness then you just need more patience, to repeat the whole run every time you turn out to have gotten a bad one.

You're stupid and you've beaten it, so the strategy needed can't be all that deep. A fairly skilled adult player can manage it without much trouble, given loads of patience and time; I maintain this.
>>
>>4050997

Yes. They reward you for waiting (and thus not playing) while your weapons charge up; that's terrible. The percentage meter does the same thing in a smaller way, which is also terrible. Various spells are overpowered or underpowered, and too many of them are just generic direct-damage attacks. Leaving out the ability to aim or dodge spell effects in any way throws away a huge opportunity for interesting dynamics. The way spell effects stack together or cancel one another is weird and overly exploitable. Weapons are too similar to one another, and some are just inferior for no good reason. Hitboxes are weird. Missing (on an apparent hit) because of a secret die roll is unpleasant.

The game survives on superficial aesthetic charm (especially musical), multiplayer capability, and just being an RPG-ish game at all. And it works great for kids (and other people with unrefined standards). But it is almost as bad as a game can possibly be without failing to achieve the level of popularity and reverence that it has achieved.
>>
>>4057087
Are you saying we should only say overrated ironically?

Every day I'm more convinced millenials are complete airheads. You also don't know the word Genuinely at all.
>>
Fucking loved this theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUdhcRQMC4

Being Generation X I played so many fucking games in the 80's and 90's and somehow CT was one of those games i never got around to playing.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (52KB, 600x885px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
52KB, 600x885px
>we will never see the cut SOM content
>>
>>4059519
Sound like crap.
>>
>>4044515
I never finished Secret of Mana, just don't have much of any drive to do so, even though I'm like 20-22 hours in, so Chrono Trigger.
>>
File: 1483163489790.png (116KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1483163489790.png
116KB, 480x336px
>>4044706
Fuck ya self cockboy.
>>
>be me
>play Secret Of Mana as my first ever JRPG experience
>blown the fuck away that a game can be so epic, sprawling, and with such sense of adventure
>hear about Secret Of Mana 2
>Fuck, it was Japan only
>Learn about something called emulation, mind blown
>Learn that SoM2 got a fan translation, which can be emulated
>Play SoM2 and realise it's somehow even better than the first
One of the comfiest times in gaming for me
>>
>>4059585
I tend to think it probably manifested itself as content in Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend Of Mana
>>
Chrono Trigger. SoM is fun, sure, but its combat is a pain in the butt while simultaneously being super easy to cheese bosses with magic.
>>
>>4057091
rpgs peaked at the snes-psx era

most modern rpgs are shit. hardly innovative
>>
>>4046524

I think story wise is Terranigma superior to SoM but the battle system is shallow. Not Bad but very shallow.
>>
>>4047616
i tried patching a rom for 60hz but i don't think it worked because the rom wasn't headered
>>
>>4044584
Don't bother with Sword.
>>
>>4049549
IIRC SoM was hit the most by far when it came to localization space. Almost all of it had to be cut, probably due to the already existing cram session post-CD
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.